A Quebec judge has authorized a class-action lawsuit against the maker of the popular online video game, Fortnite, after parents of three children who

eastmen

Legend
Supporter

A Quebec judge has authorized a class-action lawsuit against the maker of the popular online video game, Fortnite, after parents of three children who played it argued it was too "addictive."

When the original application was filed in 2019 against Epic Games Inc. and its Canadian subsidiary, the lawyers representing the plaintiffs said they believed this case was a first in Quebec.

Quebec Superior Court Justice Sylvain Lussier authorized the class-action suit on Wednesday.

Three parents from Quebec sued Epic Games, which is based in the U.S., alleging that the game's creators deliberately designed the Battle Royale iteration of Fortnite to be "highly addictive" and that Fortnite caused their minor children to suffer psychological, physical, and financial harm. They are all seeking damages from the company that will be determined at a later date.

if only there was a rating on the game and parental controls to let parents decide what their kids can access and play... Oh wait there is ?

I actually believe social media should be sued for being addictive instead of Fortnite, they do damage more than anything else and I am pretty fucking serious.

if only there was a rating on the game and parental controls to let parents decide what their kids can access and play... Oh wait there is ?

This specific law suit aside, can we really pretend these controls would actually deter a kid?

There is no practical way the average parent would be able to prevent their likely more tech knowledgeable kids from playing this unless we want to go down the route that some countries have in requiring real ID verification for these services.

This specific law suit aside, can we really pretend these controls would actually deter a kid?

There is no practical way the average parent would be able to prevent their likely more tech knowledgeable kids from playing this unless we want to go down the route that some countries have in requiring real ID verification for these services.

Good parenting doesn't require that they're technically savvy.

Good parenting doesn't require that they're technically savvy.

In the context of using electronic safeguards and controls? Yes it matters, and in practice those are tend to be easily circumvented. In this specific context are you seriously going to argue that a minor would not be able to install and play Fortnite (or any other game) just from software based parental controls without their parents permission?

This is really just a functional and technical discussion given the specific subject and forum, I'm not interested in getting into a broader social discussion regarding parenting, raising children and the vague concept of "good parenting."

In the context of using electronic safeguards and controls? Yes it matters, and in practice those are tend to be easily circumvented. In this specific context are you seriously going to argue that a minor would not be able to install and play Fortnite (or any other game) just from software based parental controls without their parents permission?

This is really just a functional and technical discussion given the specific subject and forum, I'm not interested in getting into a broader social discussion regarding parenting, raising children and the vague concept of "good parenting."
Good parenting is simple. Just use the right peripheral. Plays too much?

Limit it with this:
1670577611373.png

Preferably wooden

Works every time. Thank me later.

Reactions: JPT

Me neither!

To be specific, my "Good parenting" comment was that there's plenty of ways to manage your kids time as a parent. The time tools are helpful. They're not essential. They take away some of the pain with my own kids. The xbox turns off at a certain time and any grumpiness is directed towards the "stupid xbox" :D

It's a silly law suit.

Fortnite doesn't require any parental consent or controls for anyone 13 or over.

Yes they would work. Why wouldn't they ? If the parent isn't lazy and creates a good code they don't let their parents know it would work just fine.

The problem is we keep pushing things off the parents and onto everyone else. The parent is ultimatly the gate keeper to all this for a child. They live with the child and can see what the child plays and they typically are the ones paying for what the child plays and what the child plays on it. Even if you were ultimately outlaw any games over E rating (dunno what it is in maple syrup land) parents would still find a way to blame video games for their bad parenting.

I am 40 years old. Know what happened to me when my grades dipped or I was playing to much video games ? My parents would take the power plugs from my console in the bedroom and the consoles in the living room were in my mothers domain and she would know if I tried to play any game

Fortnite doesn't require any parental consent or controls for anyone 13 or over.

On xbox at least

etting Parental Controls On Your Xbox:​

Block Games By Age Rating

Via the Xbox

1. On your Xbox console, manage parental controls by selecting ā€œSettingsā€ and then choosing ā€œPrivacy and online safety.ā€
  2. Select a family member to customize their individual settings.
  3. Adjust controls for what your children can see by setting ā€œContent restrictions.ā€ These settings use a numerical scale that matches what would be considered appropriate for a certain age based on ESRB game ratings and other content rating systems.
    • For example, if you set your childā€™s content restrictions to ā€™11,ā€™ she will be able to play games rated up to E10+ but not T or M.
    • Content restrictions make it easy for parents to choose one setting and control the games, movies, TV and music that are appropriate for their children.

You can also restrict by game

ote: Via the app parents can also individually allow or block individual game titles, regardless of rating. Children will not have access to these games without parental confirmation. These setting affects the childā€™s use of Xbox consoles (Xbox One and later) and Windows 10 devices.

On xbox at least
All I said is that Fortnite doesn't require parental consent or controls for 13 or older. Yes, parents are free to enable any restrictions themselves via the Xbox controls or Epic as well. Or take the damn console or PC away from them, as you said.

All I said is that Fortnite doesn't require parental consent or controls for 13 or older. Yes, parents are free to enable any restrictions themselves via the Xbox controls or Epic as well. Or take the damn console or PC away from them, as you said.
Nothing requires parental controls. Mature games don't require parental controls. But parental controls are there is parents want to use them. Again it's up to the parent not the corporation.

and soccer, football, basketball. Quite additive for some ....

And while we're at it, reading (as a teenager I was reading at least 1 novel every 1-2 days), walking (my wife HAS to walk anywhere form 2-8 miles a day), drawing, cycling (one of my friends loves to go on and on and on about how great the endorphin rush is what it kicks in), drinking, eating good food, eating glue, masturbating, etc... Obviously some additions are potentially less harmful than others.

Almost everything is addicting to someone. It took my grandparents years to get one of my uncles to stop eating glue when he was a kid. :p Good parents can generally manage it if they are good parents and they're allowed to manage it.

Regards,
SB

Back