Blu-ray laser diodes in tight supply

one said:
The interesting thing is, the Nichia guy (Shuji Nakamura, now a USCB professor), sued Nichia for the fair share of the invention. Boston University licensed a particular lab-level blue-laser related patent to Cree, a competitor company against Nichia, and Nakamura was hired by Cree. After Nichia sued Cree, Cree and Nakamura sued Nichia
:???:...

_xxx_ said:
All the "problems" you hear about are just rumors. It's the same as saying "just because the grass is green doesn't mean it couldn't be blue sometimes", no merrit whatsoever.

Excuse me if I choose to trust a few websites reporting informaiton about these companies invovled over some guy on the net that ust says " it's not true". ;)

Qroach said:
Excuse me if I choose to trust a few websites reporting informaiton about these companies invovled over some guy on the net that ust says " it's not true". ;)

But you do believe "some guy" if he's running a website? Sheesh...

Until some serious source confirms that, it's a rumour, period.

_xxx_ said:
But you do believe "some guy" if he's running a website? Sheesh...

Until some serious source confirms that, it's a rumour, period.

I agree, it is a rumor.

But there is a good question in here: BluRay/HD DVD are new technologies using expensive new diodes that have yet to be deployed on a massive scale. The first consumer products using them have just launched and they (a) were very small runs in the tens of thousands and (b) were very expensive.

But in a 6 month turn around we are expecting to go from tens of thousands of units to ~4M units (plus whatever standalone units).

Obviously this is not impossible, but it is most definately a technical hurdle. Color me impressed if Sony ships 4M units in calendar 2006.

And before anyone says, "BluRay has been out for over a year" I would just note that it has not been in production on this sort of scale and being available did not resolve the issues launch hardware/software had. This is still, by all measures, a very new technology that is just getting its feet wet in the consumer space.

From IMDB:

"Yet Another Delay for Blu-Ray Players, Says Chinese Paper

And the delays keep coming for Sony's Blu-ray high-definition DVD system. China's Commercial Times newspaper is reporting that Sony's production facilities have not been able to meet the demand for the diode that generates the blue laser at the heart of the HD system. Both Sony's own plants and those of Japan's Nichia Corp., the only two suppliers of the diodes, have been plagued by production problems, the newspaper said. The supply problem, it observed, could not only delay production of Blu-ray DVD players for Sony and other manufacturers, but could also delay the release of PlayStation 3 models, now scheduled for November. "

Luckily there's still a few months left to sort it all out and get back on track. We'll find out soon enough!

That's referring to the same article as in the OP.

RobertR1 said:
Luckily there's still a few months left to sort it all out and get back on track.

I assume this is in reference to PS3, but this is the "track" they've been on for some time i.e. stockpiling blue laser diodes for it (which is good for PS3, but bad for other BD manufacturers supplied by Sony..funnily enough, those cited in the original article). That's not really news, nor is the fact that they're low yielding. If any component is going to constrain supply for PS3, it'll be Blu-ray IMO, but I don't think there's anything to sort out here except to keep making the diodes and improve yields over time.

_xxx_ said:
All the "problems" you hear about are just rumors. It's the same as saying "just because the grass is green doesn't mean it couldn't be blue sometimes", no merrit whatsoever.
And you know this how .. :???:

Titanio said:
I assume this is in reference to PS3, but this is the "track" they've been on for some time i.e. stockpiling blue laser diodes for it (which is good for PS3, but bad for other BD manufacturers supplied by Sony..funnily enough, those cited in the original article). That's not really news, nor is the fact that they're low yielding. If any component is going to constrain supply for PS3, it'll be Blu-ray IMO, but I don't think there's anything to sort out here except to keep making the diodes and improve yields over time.

If the launch is delayed due to limited BR diodes than that indicates yields are lower than Sony had initially planned, that is news.

Of course that would be news, but so would man on mars ;)

My point is, applying the situation that someone like Benq finds themselves in to PS3 is inappropriate given that at least one of the major factors apparently contributing to that situation does not apply to PS3. One of the identified problems is that Sony is stockpiling for PS3 - not only is that not a problem for PS3, but it benefits from that. PS3 is probably by far the most well supplied Blu-ray product in the pipeline right now - what that amounts to in terms of numbers is impossible to tell without more information, which this article is not providing. But it's certainly not in the situation Benq and Liteon complain of.

I do think blu-ray will limit PS3 supply initially, but I've said that for a long time. Sony won't delay PS3 if it can't get 4m out in 06, though, you can be sure of that.

Last edited by a moderator:
scooby_dooby said:
If the launch is delayed due to limited BR diodes than that indicates yields are lower than Sony had initially planned, that is news.
If OTOH Sony just isn't selling as many of the diodes as their customers could use, that's not news. That's expected. Sony obviously needs them for their own PS3 production.

The Digitimes article linked in the OP doesn't support the gloom scenario here at all. I get the feeling not everyone who participated here has actually read it. To paraphrase, drive makers are not happy because they can't get as many blue laser diodes as they could use. And then comes the fluff.

Shifty Geezer said:
AFAIKnew, there are only two largescale sources for the Gallium based blue laser diodes. One was Sony and I didn't know the name of the other source.

One is Sony/Nichia, the other IIRC is Cree...

Titanio said:
Of course that would be news, but so would man on mars ;)

My point is, applying the situation that someone like Benq finds themselves in to PS3 is inappropriate given that at least one of the major factors apparently contributing to that situation does not apply to PS3.

Why doesn't it apply to PS3? It indicates that they are not seeing the yields they had expected they would see. Maybe it won't impact the launch quantities promised by Sony, but if they are experiencing lower than expected yields the potential for a negative impact on launch quantities grows greater.

scooby_dooby said:
Why doesn't it apply to PS3? It indicates that they are not seeing the yields they had expected they would see. Maybe it won't impact the launch quantities promised by Sony, but if they are experiencing lower than expected yields the potential for a negative impact on launch quantities grows greater.
Have you read the article in the OP?

http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20060710PB205.html
Optical disc drive (ODD) makers such as Lite-On IT and BenQ recently expressed concerns that a tight supply of key component laser diodes may affect the release of Blu-ray Disc burners, according to the Chinese-language Commercial Times.
Sony is currently the major supplier of laser diodes for Royal Philips Electronics, BenQ and Lite-on IT, the paper indicated.
BenQ and Lite-on share the optical drive business.
http://www.cdr-zone.com/news/liteon..._integration_in_optical_storage_products.html
It indicates a single Taiwanese company gets little supply for blue-laser diodes. No one knows how many blue-laser diodes Philips could secure for their higher-margin CE products, let alone how many Sony themselves could stock for the PS3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Surely these companies were in contact with Sony, their main supplier, when they scheduled the release dates for the blu-ray players?

scooby_dooby said:
Surely these companies were in contact with Sony, their main supplier, when they scheduled the release dates for the blu-ray players?

BR companies still compete directly with each other on the CE front. If they can hog up the diodes for their own player and the PS3, they'll do it.

RobertR1 said:
BR companies still compete directly with each other on the CE front. If they can hog up the diodes for their own player and the PS3, they'll do it.

I am pretty sure the adoption of the new standard(which should be the top priority) gets negatively affected if they get too selfish.

serenity said:
How does that make this article wrong? Digitimes is pretty accurate on manufacturing pieces.

I'm not saying the article is wrong. I'm say _xxx_ has no idea if it it wrong or not. him saying "there is no shortage there, plenty of manufacturers producing the stuff." is what really is wrong. he dodesn't have any credibilty or track record (no offense _xxx_) for anyone to take his word on the situation. certainly not over a website like digitimes.

Back