Robert X. Cringely: Microsoft have won the console war

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbot

Regular
http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2006/pulpit_20061208_001308.html

"More good news for Microsoft is that they have won, for now, the game console war. To be fair, though, it isn't just that Microsoft won but that Sony lost. Blu-ray laser diode shortages are constraining PS3 production just at a time when Microsoft has a shot at breaking even on the production cost of its xBox 360s, which are gaining economies of scale. But the most important win here is the hearts of game developers, and those will go to whatever platform has the greatest number of units in the field, which, for high-end game consoles, means Microsoft.

Don't get me wrong, Sony's PS3 is technically superior to Microsoft's xBox 360, but NOT SUPERIOR ENOUGH. Wooing game developers from 12-15 million xBox 360s to instead write games for a couple million PS3s would require those PS3's to be an order of magnitude better as a game platform. Just somewhat better isn't enough, so for this round, at least, Microsoft wins.

And if Microsoft wins, that means HD-DVD wins, too, leaving Blu-ray as the Betamax of HD optical drives. And like Beta, Blu-ray will probably find its (much smaller) niche in professional markets that can take advantage of its eventual greater capacity."

Worst article I've seen in weeks. And that pretty bad. How could MS win, or Sony lose when the PS3 just came out 3 weeks ago?

Worst article I've seen in weeks. And that pretty bad. How could MS win, or Sony lose when the PS3 just came out 3 weeks ago?

Did you even read the article? Most of it was about Microsoft as a whole, and the gaming portion was what, three paragraphs, all of which were posted here. What about this article made it the worst you have seen in weeks?

:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I do agree that MS does have a advantage by now and this is the reason why Sony will lost a good piece of their old market share, but they have a big way till they win or losse. Things like brand recognizition, good marketing, (later in the life cicle) free online, multimedia features... will make a good fight and I would think a small edge over 360.

And if Microsoft wins, that means HD-DVD wins, too, leaving Blu-ray as the Betamax of HD optical drives. And like Beta, Blu-ray will probably find its (much smaller) niche in professional markets that can take advantage of its eventual greater capacity

It does?

Did you even read the article? Most of it was about Microsoft as a whole, and the gaming portion was what, three paragraphs, all of which were posted here. What about this article made it the worst you have seen in weeks?

:rolleyes:

I'm not sure about mckmas8808, but personally, those 3 paragraphs themselves make enough unsubstantiated jumps to conclusions and generalizations that it scared me away from the article.

On the other hand, maybe a thread on this article shouldn't even be in this forum, since those (amateur-level?) 3 paragraphs were pretty much all thats related to consoles. This thread itself is probably to blame for sensationalizing something like this...

I'm not sure about mckmas8808, but personally, those 3 paragraphs themselves make enough unsubstantiated jumps to conclusions and generalizations that it scared me away from the article.

On the other hand, maybe a thread on this article shouldn't even be in this forum, since those (amateur-level?) 3 paragraphs were pretty much all thats related to consoles. This thread itself is probably to blame for sensationalizing something like this...

Hey that's exactly what I did. Why read the article when those 3 paragraphs were horribly written?

I really fail tto see the point in all of this..

First of all, how do you win a war "for now", and second, why even care? These are games consoles, they're means unto an end, ie having fun, not means unto themselves.

Bothering about who is winning what war is as silly as those old atari vs. amiga fights, or sega versus nintendo for that matter. I rememnber; I was there. Don't you people worry that all that can be accomplished by making a thread about a speculative article such as this is dragging up all those old silly fights all over again?

I have a 360. should I now feel happy or content or pleased or something that it is now 'winning', according to this writer anyay? I just think it's fairly premature to appoint ANYONE winner yet. a year from now maybe Wii leads in sales who knows!

Or that's how I feel anyway.. Feel free to disagree. :cool:

Peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back