Blu-Ray: Can it Survive?

Deinterlacing film content is simple, it is stuff that is originaly recorded as interlaced that is trick to work with.

And which Westy? There have been a few 1080p models.

radeonic2 said:
Would that be the 1080i60 broadcasts?
Only those which were originally recorded with a 1080i60 camera; but with HD movies and various other content which has been properly interlaced for broadcasting at 1080i60, that can be easily recovered to an effective 1080p/30 signal.

Also, there have been a few 42" Westys and I can't say I know the specifics of what you are asking about on them anyway. I just wanted to let you know that you should focus on the particular model(s) you are considering if you want to find the answer to your question.

Last edited by a moderator:
kyleb said:
Only those which were originally recorded with a 1080i60 camera; but with HD movies and various other content which has been properly interlaced for broadcasting at 1080i60, that can be easily recovered to an effective 1080p/30 signal.
What is the proper way to interlace :???:

That happens before we ever get our hands on the broadcast, and it depends on the format of the content they are starting with.

Edit: In other words, I'm really not the guy to answer your question there but I know enough about it to tell you that it is a long story and there isn't much we can do about it anyway.

And incase you missed it, I edited my previous post to clarify on your question about the Westys as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a good thread at least to point where Artwood stepped in and kicked off the ignorant zealotry fest, but these days many threads on AVS tend to go that way. :(

kyleb said:
That is a good thread at least to point where Artwood stepped in and kicked off the ignorant zealotry fest, but these days many threads on AVS tend to go that way. :(

Yes but it's hard to find better entertainment on the net then watching them go at with Blu Ray vs. HD DVD I'm hooked. Best e-reality show out there :(

Well I think that its still too to tell. However there is no doubt that the first "victory" to me when Robert showed us the polls of the earl adopters for both BluRay and HDDVD over on the AVS. I could not believe the huge disparity I saw with those that had these players. HDDVD got a clear victory. The fact that they are cheaper and have better video quality with more movies is only going to add momentum going through this summer and into the holiday buying season. So to me, it seems that HDDVD is hitting on more cylinders than BluRay....

Last edited:
True, but then Blu-ray is about to get a huge increase of installed userbase whether the customers want it or not, so things are going to get interesting soon.

kyleb said:
True, but then Blu-ray is about to get a huge increase of installed userbase whether the customers want it or not, so things are going to get interesting soon.

And your assuming Sony is going to be able to deliver on thier volumes of PS3 players at launch. Has not the last few new cosole launchs taught you anything? :) :) :)

PS I know what you ment and agree I am just not ready to put on my BluRay Pom-Poms yet

jb said:
And your assuming Sony is going to be able to deliver on thier volumes of PS3 players at launch. Has not the last few new cosole launchs taught you anything? :) :) :)

PS I know what you ment and agree I am just not ready to put on my BluRay Pom-Poms yet

Even if only 1million PS3s are made and sold by the end of the year, it will likely be close to an order of magnitude more BR players than HD-DVD players out. Not everyone will be using their BR player on PS3 for movies (obviously), but you get a market awareness that just isn't feasible without selling a ton of units (and marketing campaigns -- I think this is one of the advantages BR has over HD-DVD).

HD-DVD definitely has the advantage right now, and, to be honest, I didn't really expect that... but this type of article is quite premature, to say the least. It's a bit like declaring the winner of a marathon in the first 10 minutes...

I just hope one of them sticks and we don't end up with a niche product that gets very few releases -- I want my HD movies!

wonder how the quality of the PS3's decoder will be for bluray anyway?
not that it really matters since the dics themselves look like shit.

jb said:

I'm not suggesting Pom-Poms, but I'm not expecting the PS3's launch to be anything less than what the 360's launch was.

Bobbler said:
Even if only 1million PS3s are made and sold by the end of the year, it will likely be close to an order of magnitude more BR players than HD-DVD players out. Not everyone will be using their BR player on PS3 for movies (obviously), but you get a market awareness that just isn't feasible without selling a ton of units (and marketing campaigns -- I think this is one of the advantages BR has over HD-DVD).

Bobble,
very good point and I don't disagree with that in part. I do think that the number of HD-DVD players sold will increase than what we have now. I dont want to guess what the ratio will be like at the end of the year. I think BluRay will have more thanks to the PS3 but not ready to sign up on the order of magintued just yet. Plus you can not de-emphize the lower cost and first to market factors as those are very huge things to consider.

radeonic2 said:
wonder how the quality of the PS3's decoder will be for bluray anyway?
not that it really matters since the dics themselves look like shit.

That's sort of up in the air at the moment -- Ken Kutaragi seems to be pushing for PS3 to be a rather high end BR player (latest HDMI revision, etc. -- why bother with all that if the actual decoding was shit?), but there is also the past experience of the PS2's DVD player being rather garbage... so who knows

And I wouldn't say the encoding is shit either -- I haven't seen better anywhere but HD-DVD. You're scale of relativity is wonky =p

kyleb said:
I'm not suggesting Pom-Poms, but I'm not expecting the PS3's launch to be anything less than what the 360's launch was.

I am sorry for that coment. Just when I read these post there seem to be a extra ammount of BluRay love and not the typical B3D replies I would have expect. But Vysez cleared it up for me!

Yeah, I just want a HD-DVD/Blu-ray combo drive for my HTPC, I could honestly care less about the whole format war. ;)

kyleb said:
Yeah, I just want a HD-DVD/Blu-ray combo drive for my HTPC, I could honestly care less about the whole format war. ;)

Sign me up for one of those. I could care less about which wins, so long as my current DVDs play well and the HDDVD ones I buy play as well!

Back