Bloody, bloody, BLOODY freaking computer chair!!!!

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
Dang it, I've had it less than 8 months and the thing broke on me about a week ago. It's one of them cheap leather ones with the plastic side arms that hold the whole thing together, and the bloody damned plastic bit on the left snapped in two places.

No problem, I'm a cheap bastard who's into jury-rigging things. I get me glue and tape out like a fool and try and fix it.

3 hours later, *snap!*. :rolleyes:

So I get a bit miffed and get me drill, some 2" wood screws, and some stainless steel banding and FIX those bloody breaks. Not pretty, but it works well.

Until about an hour ago, when the handle cracked in a third place and sent me tumbling backwards flailing like a moron until my wife's desk was kind enough to catch me on the back of the head. :?

Well, when I could see straight again I gotta admit I wasn't quite sensible and was slightly miffed at the chair. Got me drill and a bunch of 2" screws and went to town.

Now the thing is truly hideous and frankensteined, but it feels pretty solid. I figure I'm gonna have to keep repairing it until it is enough of an eye-sore for me wife to pick up a new one..... :oops:

:idea:

Mebbe I'll add some duct tape to it to just make it look even worse than it is... :devilish:

Sorry for the stupid vent, but in trying to actually get somethings done today this stupid chair has just chewed up too much of me time. :?

We want pictures! :LOL:

P.S.: You could have died because of that! In school they told us to stop rocking the chair because some died by falling on the back of their heads on the table behind them (they snapped their neck).

Vadi said:
You could have died because of that! In school they told us to stop rocking the chair because some died by falling on the back of their heads on the table behind them (they snapped their neck).
My brother actually broke his butt falling out of a chair leaning backwards like that. It happened at U of I's summer orchestra camp at the beginning of a two week session and he was so embarressed about it he didn't tell anyone until he got home...then he got x-rays and he had actually snapped his tailbone when he fell.

He had to sit on a donut pillow all summer. :LOL:

I don't think I can get hurt hitting my head, I really am pretty thick-skulled and I got an extra bone ridge on the back of my head. (Don't ask, I don't know why....just genetic I guess.)

Gimme a few to get my kids down for nap and I'll snap some pictures. :)

I had a similar chair do the exact same thing to me.
Only i didn't bother to fix it, so it became a really expensive stool. :cry:

Got a new one, and when i was shopping, my main reaquirement was "the arms cannot be what holds the back of the chair on".
Got me one that the back is held on by a nice thick piece of STEEL.
This sucker is not gonna snap.

It was just annoying before, but today it got personal....I'm gonna keep this chair until it is either too broke for me to fix or until my wife gets me a new one because it is too ugly for her to take.

Never let technology get the upper hand on ya, never. 8)

digitalwanderer said:
Until about an hour ago, when the handle cracked in a third place and sent me tumbling backwards flailing like a moron until my wife's desk was kind enough to catch me on the back of the head. :?

You know there's only one thing you can do at a time like this, right...?

Sue!!!

I don't think I've ever sued anybody, too much bother.

If I were ever REALLY injured as a direct result of someone elses negligence or something, that's different....but I tried to repair a busted chair and it broke on me again, it's kind of my own fault. :oops:

But it isn't going to break this time! (Says the Dig, leaning faaaar back in his chair and cackling with glee!)

yeah happened one, broke my coxis ( sp ? )

but the one i have no is comfy , the only problem is the rod that attaches to the leg in the middle is lower than the actual wheels , so it sits on it , ripped a hole in my rug , and then i put a plastic sheet over and it just shaves it off ..

i'm hit it with a 10 pound hammer to get it back to the right place but it falls back .. i'm gonna have to do something, maybe glue a 5th wheel on there when it's at level so it doesn't dangle and has pressure to stay in the same place

digitalwanderer said:
Mebbe I'll add some duct tape to it to just make it look even worse than it is... :devilish:

And while you're at it, you might think of attaching a flashlight to it... ;)

Back