Bloodborne: [PS4] (From Software)

I also _loved_ Bloodborne, but at first I was put off by its visuals after getting The Order first ;). Then I really fell for the world of Bloodborne. I really only wish for some kind of anti-aliasing (mostly something against the brutal specular aliasing).

Really looking forward to the DLC, I hope it's a big one ;)....

I also _loved_ Bloodborne, but at first I was put off by its visuals after getting The Order first ;). Then I really fell for the world of Bloodborne. I really only wish for some kind of anti-aliasing (mostly something against the brutal specular aliasing).

Really looking forward to the DLC, I hope it's a big one ;)....
Not if that introduces unbearable amount of post AA induced shimmering + blurring because of high resolution textures and 16xAF used pretty much everywhere (on the ground at least) in Bloodborne, just try to play Rocket League to see a perfect example of this.

And the artstyle is already wrecked enough by the CA anyways that seriously begins to give me eyestrain when I play too much Bloodborne. First time in my life a game does this to me. Ugh. :no:

Oh and something else that i haven't seen being mentioned, it has one of the best game soundtrack I've listened to in a long time, three favorites:

If Bloodborne does impress anywhere technically, i think it's in geometry. It's one of the most visually busy worlds I've seen, i think it really adds to the overall gameplay and atmosphere. I feel sick even thinking about the two Nightmare Frontier levels with the intertwined paths and twisted monsters. Going back to Dark Souls 1/2 is a really striking moment, coming from Bloodborne the world feels almost empty in comparison.

Very true. On the flipside, the barrenness also means less getting stuck on intricately modelled art assets. Imagine fighting a boss like Fume Knight in father Gascoigne's graveyard.

On the flipside, the barrenness also means less getting stuck on intricately modelled art assets.

The only reason why you get stuck into the environment in Bloodborne is because From Software's makes characters as mobile as characters in PS One days...no actually Chris Redfield in Resident Evil could climb over tables while you can't in Bloodborne.
If we had the ability to vault or climb nobody would ever get stuck into the scenery.

The only reason why you get stuck into the environment in Bloodborne is because From Software's makes characters as mobile as characters in PS One days...no actually Chris Redfield in Resident Evil could climb over tables while you can't in Bloodborne.
If we had the ability to vault or climb nobody would ever get stuck into the scenery.
Certainly would be fun surprise for father Gascoigne to vault over gravestones as well. ;)
Being mindful of your surroundings is a key mechanic in these games.
This.

Sure and it's not something unique to these games but the limited traversal is really ridicolous.
I don't think that acribatic moves like wallrun or double jump like in hack & slash would fit but really we should be able to navigate the environment like a healthy human being.
Aside for Father Gascoigne anyway most boss battles happens in fairly "barren" areas with few obstacles.

Eviroment during Father Gascoigne fight anyway is not a big issue because he can easily be defeated by standing still and then counter him.

Last edited:

Of course, and most of the times the boss areas are well designed in that regard. I just think dying thanks to getting stuck on a slightly larger pebble any normal human being would simply walk or hop over is a rather annoying consequence of that kind of game design.

The gameplay was great

I think you and I must have been playing a different game. And besides, although the graphics are beautiful I wouldn't exactly say the 'art' was good.

Bloodborne definitely has more artist merit.

it's almost perfect beside a few things, load time could have been shorter still and they really need auto hide function for the hud when you are not in combat, or minimize it. Gets in the way of such beautiful game.

it's almost perfect beside a few things, load time could have been shorter still and they really need auto hide function for the hud when you are not in combat, or minimize it. Gets in the way of such beautiful game.

You can turn the HUD off but it's not very playable without it.
I actually planned to play this game without HUD but even I had to give up because:
-there are no clear visual cues or anumations that tell you if your character is hurt or not or when he/she is out of stamina, (lesser issue)
-for some idiotic reason you can use potions even when you have 100% HP (big issue), if that wasn't the case playing without HUD would be possible.

The Witcher 3 can be played entirely without HUD, big kudos to CDP for making that possible.

Last edited:
I killed Henryk without the HUD :p ! The thing is I had turned off the HUD to take screenshots and forgot to turn it on and the ifght strted and I had no idea what my health or stamina was at and well, I just threw heavy attack upon heavy attack and prayed to God :D ! It worked somehow and he died, Phew ! Since then I always make sure I turned HUD back on after my precious screenie. The game looks like pure magic without the HUD.

@RenegadeRocks
In TW3 when you are low HP the corners of the screen gets red/darker, the usual effect you see in TPS/FPS, and you can hear a very faint sound when stamina fully recharges.

Pay attention to these cues and you should be able to play without HUD next time :)

Last edited:
What they did with the trick weapons was next level. I remember Dark Souls 2 having so many weapons but the majority of them were not interesting because they were carbon copies of some other weapon with different stats. The trick weapons in Bloodborne though... So much fun to play, and such a rewarding fighting system.

While there are certainly a lot of clone weapons in DS2, there are simply so damn many of them in total it really doesn't matter. I'm actually rather surprised at just how different weapons from the same category often feel. Take the ultra great swords for example: The Fume Knight Great Sword, the Zweihander and the Old Smelter Sword all require decidedly different playing styles. Plus you have bows, pyromancy, sorcery, miracles, hexes, shields, and a wide variety of armor sets that actually make a difference. I like the combat in BB a lot, but coming straight from many a far too lengthy DS2 - Scholar of the first Sin session, the freedom over how you get to shape your character in that game is hella liberating. The game has plenty of weaknesses, however the vast amounts of equipment (which you can alter significantly via smithing) is definitely not one of them.

I also didn't really enjoy the fact that BB pretty much forced you to commit to a weapon and then stick with it. BB was a fantastic experience, and streamlining was probably a big conbtributor to that. On the flip side it also made for a game that's a bit of a one trick pony.

Last edited:
Hmm, i was never one of the Dark Souls players that tried to master every weapon. If i liked something i would stick with it, and that is why i prefer Bloodborne i guess. For me it's quality over quantity and Bloodborne certainly delivers when it comes to quality, and i am ok with the number of weapons too, i still haven't used everything and i am about 100 hours in i would guess. I am excited for what the expansion will bring too, i am sure we'll see a lot more trick weapons added and hopefully a fix for the frametime issues.

Back