Best HDMI 2.1 4K+ HDR TV for Consoles [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
TL/DW: LG C1 is the best. LG CX firmware still in beta. Samsung doesn't qualify. Sony is not suitable. Philips limited to 60 Hz.

Dolby Vision Gaming Goes Live on Xbox Series X - Here's The Best TV to Take Full Advantage
Dolby Vision gaming has officially gone live on the Xbox Series X (& Xbox Series S), having previously only been available in beta to Xbox Insiders. We checked the Dolby Vision compatibility & also measure the input lag in Dolby Vision (Game Mode if available) of televisions from various manufacturers, to help you decide on which is the best TV to take full advantage of DV gaming on the Xbox Series X.

Timestamps
0:00 Dolby Vision gaming goes live!
0:47 Samsung
1:29 Sony
4:42 Philips
5:27 Panasonic
7:33 LG
8:30 LG CX firmware update
8:57 LG C9

Btw anyone planning to use hdmi arc for encoded audio, LG CX have higher encoded audio latency output via HDMI ARC compared to via optical audio.

Plain LPCM have no lag via hdmi arc. But limited to stereo.

Dunno hdmi earc fix encoded audio latency issue or not. According to Google search... old posts from 2020, hdmi earc still have audio latency for encoded audio.

Using plain LPCM via hdmi earc will fix the issue but you can't enjoy Dolby atmos.

Dunno lg c1 got the same latency issue or not

TL/DW: LG C1 is the best. LG CX firmware still in beta. Samsung doesn't qualify. Sony is not suitable. Philips limited to 60 Hz.

Dolby Vision Gaming Goes Live on Xbox Series X - Here's The Best TV to Take Full Advantage
Dolby Vision gaming has officially gone live on the Xbox Series X (& Xbox Series S), having previously only been available in beta to Xbox Insiders. We checked the Dolby Vision compatibility & also measure the input lag in Dolby Vision (Game Mode if available) of televisions from various manufacturers, to help you decide on which is the best TV to take full advantage of DV gaming on the Xbox Series X.

Timestamps
0:00 Dolby Vision gaming goes live!
0:47 Samsung
1:29 Sony
4:42 Philips
5:27 Panasonic
7:33 LG
8:30 LG CX firmware update
8:57 LG C9

No TCL tests? :( It would be nice to see how my 55R615 stacks up.

Tommy McClain

For those wondering why PS5 doesnt have Dolby Vision yet

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1622533527

Such an "error" is peculiar. You dont go too specific saying 2 year deal and then call it a misinterpetation.

Considering that it's just MS France that released a PR piece about it leads me to believe it was likely a PR person getting the information wrong.

It's more likely that MS has a 2 year license to use DV and Atmos after which they'll have to renew their license, as is the case with licensing deals like this.

Something like that is absolutely not news worthy and so no other region (especially MS's most important region, NA) released any PR related to it. And that was just made worse by someone at MS France likely misinterpreting the licensing agreement that MS has with Dolby WRT DV and Atmos.

Basically someone at MS France screwed up in multiple ways.

Regards,
SB

just checked LG korea website, and its still not there. Usually they are way earlier and the firmware is actually for all main family model (e.g. CX firmware works for all CX family models)

I got a LG OLED 65C19 this week and so far the impression is really positive. Can't say though that I have explored it to its fullest capabilities, like 120HZ pvp. Needed some time to get used to playing in 65 vs. 42 Panasonic.

Have to get more PvP game time to see if there's an advantage due display latency improvements.

I have an older 1.4HDMI Pioneer LX86 and used a 59,99Euro Feintech VAX01202 HDMI eARC Audioextrator to get sound without an eARC port. Nice solution so far. If my Pioneer wouldn't have other coldstart problems it could even be a longtime fix.

It's a C19. The 9 specifies some subversion features. I assume the next generation will use C2x something.

Just because I was a bit more curious. Looked more into it and apparently it goes

[Series][Size][Model][Model Year][Region or Store chain][Tuner Type][Design Features]

So for the C1 series in NA it's:

[OLED] [48, 55, 65, 77, 83] [C] [1] [P or A(77" only)] (U) [A or B]

For Region or Store chain, letters represent regions while numbers evidently represent specific store chains or distributors.

• P - Worldwide generic region code
    • For example: Japan, NA, Brazil uses P
  • A - USA
    • LG's US site only uses the A moniker for 77" OLEDs. All others use the P moniker
    • This likely means the 77" isn't generally available worldwide
  • S - UK, Singapore and some European countries
  • W - South Korea
  • 6 - LG UK told TrustedReviews that these were models for Curry's PC World
  • 9 - ???
Anyway, interesting, but totally not useful in everyday life information. :D

Regards,
SB

Just because I was a bit more curious. Looked more into it and apparently it goes

[Series][Size][Model][Model Year][Region or Store chain][Tuner Type][Design Features]

So for the C1 series in NA it's:

[OLED] [48, 55, 65, 77, 83] [C] [1] [P or A(77" only)] (U) [A or B]

For Region or Store chain, letters represent regions while numbers evidently represent specific store chains or distributors.

• P - Worldwide generic region code
    • For example: Japan, NA, Brazil uses P
  • A - USA
    • LG's US site only uses the A moniker for 77" OLEDs. All others use the P moniker
    • This likely means the 77" isn't generally available worldwide
  • S - UK, Singapore and some European countries
  • W - South Korea
  • 6 - LG UK told TrustedReviews that these were models for Curry's PC World
  • 9 - ???
Anyway, interesting, but totally not useful in everyday life information. :D

Regards,
SB

south Korea use "Q" on their C1 lines. they also still have A1 lines despite other regions no longer have A lines AFAIK

Now I'm looking for a HDMI 2.1 TV for around 1k up to maybe 1200-1300. But now I need 75" since I'm on 65 currently.

It's not easy. Best candidate seems to be the Hisense U7G, which has good specs, HDMI 2.1, retails for around $1300 (should have sales for less this fall) but unfortunately the 75 model is IPS not VA. Seems to be common for 75 inches panels to be IPS when the rest of the line is VA for some reason? Noone has done a detailed review of the IPS version (the 65" U7G that Rtings reviewed positively is VA).

I try to tell myself IPS is just a trade, better viewing angles for worst contrast, and thus overall basically just as good, but not sure my self is buying it. Also that I'm far from a videophile and most anything looks great to me.

The TCL 646 may be a candidate as well, assuming the 75 is VA, but at least MSRP is 1799, unknown if it will sink to 1000-1300 range eventually.

Looks like Sony shouldn't have released this firmware..

People buying a TV with gaming in mind should really just stick to LG OLED IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back