Best HDMI 2.1 4K+ HDR TV for Consoles [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.

For those who use physical media, the PS5 BluRay is currently better.

At launch Xbox Series X had other issues that are now fixed. So it's possible for Xbox to fix these new issues as well.

No YUV 12bit output on Xbox, just RGB 10bit. ( Both 4:4:4)
In theory the YUV 12bit, is a better 1:1 match for the data on the discs.
Also very slightly broken playback for pure 24fps Blu-rays, vs the more common 23.976 fps.

Would be nice to see MS update this in future, they fixed the black levels he made a video about a few months back, hopefully they get onto this.

No YUV 12bit output on Xbox, just RGB 10bit. ( Both 4:4:4)
In theory the YUV 12bit, is a better 1:1 match for the data on the discs.
Also very slightly broken playback for pure 24fps Blu-rays, vs the more common 23.976 fps.

Would be nice to see MS update this in future, they fixed the black levels he made a video about a few months back, hopefully they get onto this.

Wait a sec. I thought you needed a 12-bit panel to actually use 12-bit color? And all the displays, now and for the near term foreseeable future, are 10-bit panels.

Wait a sec. I thought you needed a 12-bit panel to actually use 12-bit color? And all the displays, now and for the near term foreseeable future, are 10-bit panels.

Well, sort of...
To fully make use of a 12-bit signal, you would need a panel that has 12 bit precision.
But the issue here is that the Xbox is converting the YUV data on the disc, into RGB, and sending it down the HDMI in RGB.
When transmitting it as in YUV is a better match for the original data.

In terms of the actual result on the Panel, they could probably send 10Bit YUV data, and it would likely be visually imperceptible from 12-bit YUV data,
on anything but the absolute highest quality panels. But this is as much about the raw data values sent on the wire, and in that case 12bit will always be better than 10.

Thought some Series X owners might find this useful if you don't have an HDMI 2.1 TV like me...

Vincent @ HDTVTest said:
We explain why it may be beneficial to enable the "Allow YCC 4:2:2" setting on the Xbox Series X for TVs that don't have HDMI 2.1 support. With YCC 422 disabled, the Xbox will be sending out 3840x2160@60Hz at 10-bit 4:2:0, but with YCC422 enabled, the video signal will be 12-bit 4:2:2.

Here's the cool calculator he uses in the video...

https://www.murideo.com/cody.html

Tommy McClain

The answer is it depends on individual TVs. Some TVs handle 10-bit better, some handle 12-bit better. So you will have to test it yourself to see how it affects sky or backgrounds with gradients in HDR games. Whichever looks better is the one you should stick with. If anybody has game suggestions for checking this let me know.

Tommy McClain

I have a question about HDR. The video of that asian guy suggests Dynamin Tone Mapping to HGIG. But I font see any diffetence between HGIG and off. Dynamic tone mapping at On instead of HGIG looks better. HGIG is too dark
I dont get the point

I have a question about HDR. The video of that asian guy suggests Dynamin Tone Mapping to HGIG. But I font see any diffetence between HGIG and off. Dynamic tone mapping at On instead of HGIG looks better. HGIG is too dark
I dont get the point

Both dynamic tone mapping and off will clip whites and you’ll loose bright details. Dynamic also brightens shadows a lot. If you prefer a “flashier” image, go with dynamic. HGIG is more “correct”, but yeah it can look a bit dark sometimes, specially if the room is bright.

Both dynamic tone mapping and off will clip whites and you’ll loose bright details. Dynamic also brightens shadows a lot. If you prefer a “flashier” image, go with dynamic. HGIG is more “correct”, but yeah it can look a bit dark sometimes, specially if the room is bright.
can confirm that is indeed the case for me on LG CX.

for a bright room, "dynamic" is a must tho. Otherwise dark areas are simply too hard to discern.

@Allandor just saw this video posted over at XboxEra, but have not watched it yet, goes over DolbyVision, HGIG, and DTM. For now, I don't think there are any DolbyVision native games, so curious to see when they do release what the differences are.

@Allandor just saw this video posted over at XboxEra, but have not watched it yet, goes over DolbyVision, HGIG, and DTM. For now, I don't think there are any DolbyVision native games, so curious to see when they do release what the differences are.

I guess he answers why I see a big difference between Dolby Vision and "normal" HDR. Dolby vision uses the settings of the TV. So if the TV can do more, it will. But input lag is ... well is not good if the TV does not support a gaming mode in Dolby Vision (like my Sony x900h).

TCL is going to be offering Series 5 & 6 TVs with Google TV ALONG WITH Roku. TCL says they're not giving up Roku. They just want to provide choice for the 2 dominant Smart TV platforms.

The Google TV versions retain the same price points as the Roku models — but there are some tweaks and upgrades since they’re newer hardware. For one, the TCL 6-series with Google TV will be capable of 4K at 120Hz, an improvement over the Roku model, which can only reach 120Hz at 1440p. That’s a big deal for PS5 and Xbox Series gamers. The Google TV version comes with two HDMI 2.1 ports (one of which is eARC), with two additional HDMI 2.0 ports.

Both the 6-series and 5-series with Google TV will also support HDR10+. And in what some people might perceive as a controversial decision, TCL is outfitting its Google TVs with always-listening microphones that can be used for voice commands. There’s a physical switch on the back of the TVs to disable the microphones if you prefer to stick to the remote’s press-and-hold method to Google Assistant controls.

The lower-priced 5-series doesn’t include 4K at 120Hz, but it still gives you full-array local dimming and both variable refresh rate and auto low latency mode when gaming.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/10/22616941/tcl-6-5-series-google-tv-price-specs

Tommy McClain

That's nice, given the disputes Roku has been getting into with content providers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back