Best Graphic EVER [Full Gears of War Vids]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hands down, Gears of War is the game to beat going forward. I'm sure there will be games that will beat it, but not until 2007 IMO. Heavenly Sword comes close and is an early contender. Lair isn't even in the same league IMO.

Please explain to me (in PM if you don't want to hijack the thread any further) what you believe to be so marvelous about Lair. The fake translucency effect? The totally unrealistic water? The lowpoly dragons, the lowres texures? I really can't see it...

It's everything together. Of course, the low-poly dragons I would call dynamic Meshes allowing for not only lots of dragons on screen, but also 3000 soldiers on that enormous bridge structure, and the low-res textures probably the same. The people complain about the lighting, but it's at the crack of dawn and lighting is very special at that time of day. I woke up on a beach at the crack of dawn myself (after a very romantic night, I might add ;) ) and remember very well how amazed I was at the lighting. Mind you, the light in Lair isn't nearly *that* good, but it has similar tones (it makes everything look like gold), and if the lighting in this game is indeed as advertised, i.e. it will change in realtime using global illumination (even if you'd call it fake global illumination, whatever ;) ). As for the fake water, well, it's a vast ocean and it has fully animated waves and nice light reflection on the ripples to boot. I have never seen anything like it.

The point is, imho that's going to be very hard to pull off on the 360. The 360 may be able to do other stuff that is going to be hard to pull off on the PS3, but the SPE's and their streaming capabilities and local store are really bringing something to the table. Lair makes intensive use of that, and I predict that the 360 is not going to be able to do the same kind of thing. It will have some great shader effects for sure, and if programmers get a grip on the tiled rendering that's going to bring some stuff to the table too. But the Cell is one of those very rare chips that actually are capable of performing to spec.

Anyway, let's take it to this thread where this belongs. I'll copy this post there to make the transfer easier:

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?p=843886#post843886

Last edited by a moderator:
It's everything together. Of course, the low-poly dragons I would call dynamic Meshes allowing for not only lots of dragons on screen, but also 3000 soldiers on that enormous bridge structure, and the low-res textures probably the same. The people complain about the lighting, but it's at the crack of dawn and lighting is very special at that time of day. I woke up on a beach at the crack of dawn myself (after a very romantic night, I might add ;) ) and remember very well how amazed I was at the lighting. Mind you, the light in Lair isn't nearly *that* good, but it has similar tones (it makes everything look like gold), and if the lighting in this game is indeed as advertised, i.e. it will change in realtime using global illumination (even if you'd call it fake global illumination, whatever ;) ). As for the fake water, well, it's a vast ocean and it has fully animated waves and nice light reflection on the ripples to boot. I have never seen anything like it.

The point is, imho that's going to be very hard to pull off on the 360. The 360 may be able to do other stuff that is going to be hard to pull off on the PS3, but the SPE's and their streaming capabilities and local store are really bringing something to the table. Lair makes intensive use of that, and I predict that the 360 is not going to be able to do the same kind of thing. It will have some great shader effects for sure, and if programmers get a grip on the tiled rendering that's going to bring some stuff to the table too. But the Cell is one of those very rare chips that actually are capable of performing to spec.

Anyway, let's take it to this thread where this belongs. I'll copy this post there to make the transfer easier:

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?p=843886#post843886

You are kidding right? Have you seen Alan Wake? No? You must be kidding... you have seen Bioshock right? Oh ok... you were just joking cause I know youve seen the rain scene in Gears of War...oh ... What am I thinking.... that was months ago... I know.... Blue Dragon water... wait now you have got to be kidding right? Right? :cool:

does Gears have the highest poly count in a single character? NO, MGS4, Lair, Ninja Gaiden "ps3" and more beat it.
does Gears have the largest amount of char shown on screen? NO, Lair, HS, Afrka, NNNights and more beat it.
does Gears have the sharpest texture? NO, FNR3, ninja gaiden, FFXIII and more beat it.
does Gears have the best physics? NO, motor storm, alan wake, Lair and more beat it.
does Gears have the best animation? Hell NO, AC, MGS4, HS and more beat it by far.
does Gears have the best lighting? NO, Alan wake, MGS4, Crysis, Afrika and more beat it.
does Gears have the best shadow? NO, Lair, crysis, alan wake and more beat it.
forgive me for posting like this but it's time to get more objective instead saying i think game A is the best because i fkn say so.

what is so good about this game? slammng to cover is the fun part? eewwww.
graphics look like doom3 on steroids with generic Unreal art.

why is this game getting so much press? every fps since doom has non-destructable obstacle for the player to dodge enemy fire. a full game built around ducking into the next firing block sounds jarring as *beep. at least make the blocks dynamic and destructable for more strategic gameplay. graphics look like doom3 on steroids with generic Unreal art and grunt. Resident Evil 4 had more zombies coming at you.

Anyone, who like the camera in Gears of Wars? I am really digging it. When running while ducking, it stays back a little and it is very jittery. It gives the game a very cinematic atmosphere. The placement of the camera when behind cover is also very clever. When peeking around corners it stays right above the shoulder to make aiming easier, etc.
It just seems that Epic did a fantastic job with it.

why is this game getting so much press? every fps since doom has non-destructable obstacle for the player to dodge enemy fire. a full game built around ducking into the next firing block sounds jarring as *beep. at least make the blocks dynamic and destructable for more strategic gameplay. graphics look like doom3 on steroids with generic Unreal art and grunt. Resident Evil 4 had more zombies coming at you.

They're not zombies.

The evironment will be destructable or at least good portions of it.

The game looks nothing like Doom3. Not even close. I mean...please say how?

Gameplay is about thing that still concerns people but it's not broken and is at least worth a go...besides while what we've seen may not be all that and a bag of chips...well we haven't seen it all yet! ;)

Anyone, who like the camera in Gears of Wars? I am really digging it. When running while ducking, it stays back a little and it is very jittery. It gives the game a very cinematic atmosphere. The placement of the camera when behind cover is also very clever. When peeking around corners it stays right above the shoulder to make aiming easier, etc.
It just seems that Epic did a fantastic job with it.
I agree. It plays like GR:AW but it's generally more cinematic. I love it.

I also like how they allowed the camera to change shoulders (like GRAW) so you can move your guy to the right or left of the screen when necessary.
It's all-around the same game with less micro-management. Much more aggressive AI too. Kind of like Call of Duty in 3rd person.

I agree with blakjedi

Arwin... you are waaay off base with those comments IMO.

The point here is that all of these effects are present in just one game (and in 1080p no less)

Anyway I also love the camera in this game and in general it looks like a game created with a lot of polish and attention to detail.

does Gears have the highest poly count in a single character? NO, MGS4, Lair, Ninja Gaiden "ps3" and more beat it.
does Gears have the largest amount of char shown on screen? NO, Lair, HS, Afrka, NNNights and more beat it.
does Gears have the sharpest texture? NO, FNR3, ninja gaiden, FFXIII and more beat it.
does Gears have the best physics? NO, motor storm, alan wake, Lair and more beat it.
does Gears have the best animation? Hell NO, AC, MGS4, HS and more beat it by far.
does Gears have the best lighting? NO, Alan wake, MGS4, Crysis, Afrika and more beat it.
forgive me for posting like this but it's time to get more objective instead saying i think game A is the best because i fkn say so.

Much to debate here.
Maybe you've read something I haven't in regards to poly counts, but even with the big, bulky armor on the GoW characters, it's hard to see ninja gaiden coming in higher. Again, I haven't read anything about NG poly counts, so if I'm wrong, shoot me. I also haven't personally seen anything that would lead me to believe it has sharper textures than GoW.

As far as animation goes, I don't see how you can say MGS4 is better, since all we've seen so far are mocap cutscenes and what was supposedly "placeholder" animation at TGS, which was said to be "borrowed" from MGS3. At any rate, it's a bit early to be making judgements about the animation in MGS4.

Lighting? Okay, it seems safe to say that Alan Wake WILL likely come out on top,(whenever that will be), but otherwise, I think a big "IMO" is in order here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Great, and I assume all these games will be out before GOW.

Look, noone says that GOW beats every game out there in every single feature, no game will ever do that, and for sure not games that are far far away from release. Of course GOW will be beat by future games, hell it is beaten even by Kameo, a launch game, if we are going to compare characters on screen.

Ironically, your list might help GOWs case in that it looks so great. You have to compare it to so many games and from so different genres to make your point and a simlar list could be done for every single game out there and most games would not have to be comared to so many games either. And the other thing it might not have one single feature that is better than another game, but it is doing so many things so great at the same time, so the general consencus make it look awesome, even if it is not beating a single game with any of its features, it still looks better than almost anything out there...

Oh and a final note to someone who neg-repped me for saying that Lair isn't possible on 360 - Factor 5 prides themselves in making games that take advantage of a system's unique capabilities. As I mentioned, the 360 certainly has its own strengths and if Factor 5 were to exclusively target the 360, then I'm certain they could create a technically impressive game for that platform too. Just not this one.

If you think I'm way off base in claiming that, then well, I think I'm in good company - some of the best developers pride themselves in getting the most out of their target platform. If you think I deserve to be neg-repped for that, even though I did my best to bring that discussion back to the Lair thread where it belonged and keep the focus on Gears of War here, fine. But I'm not impressed.

I'm looking forward to Gears of War, and hope that it's a good game. I've already expressed my admiration for several aspects of this game. Let me add that I like the shadow that the main character throws on the environments. In general, the 3rd person / over the shoulder view, while maybe not innovative, is used in a powerful and effective way, with a good use of camera to boot. I'm sure the game will have a fair bit of surprises yet and I'm looking forward to reading the final reviews and who knows one day being able to try out the game myself and see how it looks first-hand. Can you believe that most shops here still have the 360 hooked up to a tiny SD-TV? :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back