Beeping sound

mkillio

Regular
I moved into my new Aptartment at IU today and after I got my pc up and running it will starting beeping every once and awhile. Usually right after the beep it will make a sound like it's charging something. It's tough to explain through typing but say it beeps, right away it will make another sound that will get higher pitched as it goes. sometimes it will only do this every once in awhile, other times it will do this multiple times in a row one right after another. When this sound happens the computer gets hung up, sometimes it's just one program that will stop working, other times it will cause the entire computer to stall. The longest that it has happned for would probably be about 1-2 minutes. My computer used to be over clocked from 3Ghz-3.3, without upping the voltage. I brought back down to stock and I still have the problem, it's currently at 53C and hasn't gone over 55C since this happened. Once when I restarted it I noticed that one of the feet on the case came off and so I "leveled" it and the beep came as soon as I did that. Any ideas? It's really annoying, especially when the music stops.

So I found out what that noise was, it was the sound of my Hard Drive slowly dieing. Hopefully I'll be able to retrieve the files off of it once I get a new HD. Who makes THE best 120GB SATA HD? I need to get it as quickly as possible. Also, who has the best price on that HD.

mkillio said:
So I found out what that noise was, it was the sound of my Hard Drive slowly dieing. Hopefully I'll be able to retrieve the files off of it once I get a new HD. Who makes THE best 120GB SATA HD? I need to get it as quickly as possible. Also, who has the best price on that HD.

The Hitachi DeskStar 7K250 is good and is silent, but most of the 8MB buffer drives should perform very well.

Seagates are much slower than Hitachi drives in particular however. It's a bad trade-off in my opinion as you'll undobtedly have retired that drive in a couple years anyway. Or if you haven't, it won't really matter in 4 years if it dies as current drives will be much MUCH bigger and quite a bit faster, and as cheap as today in absolute figures.

I was able to get my HD working again by putting in the windows 2000 install disk and ran a repair on the drive. I'm glad I thought of that before I bought a new HD. Anyways I'm pretty sure my HD is bad anyways and so when I get the new HD I was going to run it as a back up drive using RAID (I'm pretty sure that it's RAID 0 for that). So my question is, is there any thing I need to know about running RAID on my computer (I've never done it before).

120, 160, doesn't matter as it's still a fuckin Samsung. I wouldn't buy a Samsung harddrive if they were the last manufacturer left on earth. Sorry, maybe I'm prejudiced, but my bud's seen enough dead Samsungs at the PC firm he works at to last him a lifetime, and the DVDROM they built and Dell stuck in my PC have made me permanently allergic to anything with their name attached to it.

Back