Battlefield 1 4K no HUD real life mode video

The fullres SSR costs 3-4% more compared to the ultra setting. When I deactivate SSR completly I get 10% more fps coming from the ultra non modified stettings. I tested it inside the room where the most SSR is used (the one in the picture).

The file must be named "user.cfg" and it is to place in the "Battlefield 1" folder.

After I tested Mass Effect: Andromeda and the soon announcement of STAR WARS Battlefront 2 I wanted to look once again at the tech of Battlefield 1. What I have to say:

I am disgusted be the use of the Frostbite engine in Battlefield 1. They use a negative texture LOD in Battlefield 1 which looks horrible. The lower the resolution the worse it becomes. In 1620p (how I played it with 100fps) it is not as terrible but in FullHD it is a nightmare.

Without a high resolution or SSAA this negative texture LOD is a trick to get more details and a higher AF degree out of the textures but it produces a disgusting flickering and moiré effect. This reminds me of earlier video game days in which games often had no mipmaps, whereby the game shimmered then. The aggressive sharpening also aggravates the situation by a lot.

If the TAA is deactivated all the artifacts become even clearer. Many effects flicker etc. STAR WARS Battlefront and ME: A are quite different. Visually STAR WARS Battlefront is way better than Battlefield 1. I hope Battlefront 2 does not get such an eye cancer artefact rich graphics.

I will post it in both threads.

Sharpening comparison PC vs. PlayStation 4: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/189259

Last edited:
I still find it hard to believe that people prefer blur over more defined textures. The PC shot there is far superior to the PS4 shot, IMO. The blur on PS4 actually hurts my eyes in a side by side comparison like that. Especially when looking at something like the bark on the trees. My eyes are trying to focus on the bark, but the blurry texture isn't allowing me to do so.

Now if this wasn't a side by side comparison I'd probably not notice. As on consoles you don't have an option to improve image quality. On PC where you can, I'd definitely make sure to set the options to match the PC setting versus the PS4 setting. But hopefully there's also an option for people to have blurrier textures if they wanted. :p

This reminds me a lot of the debates between Nvidia's default anistropic filtering (slightly blurry but less shimmer) and AMD's default anistropic filtering (more detailed textures but also more shimmering) a few years ago. I dislike both blur and shimmer, but I dislike blur far more. I was a sad panda when AMD lowered the quality of their default anistropic filtering to match Nvidia's default. But I realize I'm in the minority on that. Most people would prefer less shimmering over more detailed.

Regards,
SB

DICE managed it to make Battlefield 1 blurry looking while there are oversharpness artifacts at the same time. Not many developers accomplished that.

Back