Banjo Threeie

BK1.jpg

BK2.jpg

:LOL:

Is anybody here disappointed with what Rare has shown of the game so far? I was reading the NeoGAF thread, and a lot of people really seemed to be put off by the gameplay mechanics, particularly the fact that some of them felt it was new game with the Banjo IP slapped on.

Anyway, I disagree entirely as I feel based on what little I have seen that this concept seems pretty innovative, and original.

Support the devs. Ignore the haters.

My feeling is that there will always be complains about changes. As long as your heart tells you this is a step in the right direction, it is more than good enough.

Support the devs. Ignore the haters.

My feeling is that there will always be complains about changes. As long as your heart tells you this is a step in the right direction, it is more than good enough.

Yeah, I just think some people must have been really caught by how large of a departure this game is from the previous adventure / platformer style Banjo game.

I am really glad Microsoft has some variety in this years line-up, not to mention one or two games that are actually trying to be innovative. Last year we had some really great games, but I always felt that they were just HD upgrades to their predecessors from last generation. Banjo seems to be pretty unique, and thats what I like about it. Not just another platformer, action game, etc, but something that looks really unique, and interesting.

Hrmm... I love the art style of the game in screenshots - it's definitely refreshing in the gen or gray-brown or blue-tint colour schemes. The trailer however looked a little lifeless to me in parts - like the vehicle was the only thing "alive" in the big environment. Maybe it was just a bunch of bad shots and I know Rare have a great ability to make environments come alive, so I'm not completely turned off at this stage.

The gameplay sounds quite decent though - using your imagination to solve puzzles in their purest form is a far better platforming mechanic than "jump on the heads" or "shoot them with your laser gun" to me. The example posted at the top of the thread, where they initially built a truck but couldn't carry everything, then were shown a flying vehicle that could lift what you wanted to haul back to town is extremely clever. I really hope the game is played as a big bunch of "build your own solution" mini-missions like this.

Unless I've completely misinterpreted the game of course ;)

I am really glad Microsoft has some variety in this years line-up, not to mention one or two games that are actually trying to be innovative. Last year we had some really great games, but I always felt that they were just HD upgrades to their predecessors from last generation. Banjo seems to be pretty unique, and thats what I like about it. Not just another platformer, action game, etc, but something that looks really unique, and interesting.

Well... yes, too many games feel the same. Some even lost their "funness" along the way.

For me, the most important thing is accessibility. It needs to be easy to pick up. Although some of the games are not as immersive, or fun; but just because I can get into it quickly... I play it often to take my mind off work.

Then comes gameplay. Even if it's a run-of-the-mill concept, but when executed well and fun to play. It is irresistable. The devs can even extend the life of the game by adding more content.

Then comes interesting concepts (new gameplay) for surprises, variety and novelty.

At first glance, Banjo's colorful world and music remind me a little of Wind Waker but it is quite clearly different. Too busy right now. I will have to revisit the MS threads this weekend.

1UP Interview

1UP: How do you feel about finally having some from-the-ground-up games now? Perfect Dark, Kameo: Elements of Power , for better or for worse, were carried over several generations, and now you're doing stuff that's brand new. I'm sure it's nice....

GM: For sure, yeah. What we've done with Banjo, the physics of the vehicles, would just not have been possible, even on Xbox 1. You wouldn't have been able to process the fact that the player would have been able to build anything, and then you've got to be able to place that in the world and it's got to work. That's a very complicated thing; I have no idea how it works. [Chuckles] You need to talk to the software engineers; it's all a mystery to me. So that wouldn't have been possible. It is nice to be able to look at what the hardware is capable of and rather than saying, "OK, we'll just double the amount of polygons," it's, "What can we actually do that wasn't actually possible before?"

On Piñata, the amount of content you could get into your garden was probably the thing where it's pushing the hardware the most. In previous generations it would have been difficult to get that amount of detail into such a small space. You'd have had to break it up into separate areas, or a big vast area where you just loaded in different bits at different times.

With Banjo, it's certainly what we're doing with the vehicles. The physics behind them, trying to get them to behave as you would expect them, to make something friendly no matter what you build -- even if it's the most unstable, unsightly vehicle -- once you've created it and placed it into the world, you would expect that to work. If it just fell over and wouldn't move or didn't do anything, you'd be fairly disappointed. It's quite a challenge to try and take whatever people have created -- because we don't know what people are going to make -- and somehow try and make it work for them. The 360's certainly working hard to achieve that.

I don't know, people are NEVER happy. If this was the run-of-the-mill platformer, there would be complaints. This game is trying to be innovative (whether it works or not is yet to be seen) but in this day and age of 'me-toos', this is a very admirable effort and yet there are complaints. Maybe people just want to jump on some turtles or mushrooms all day.

Rare has been a bit of a disappointment so far (cept for VP), I hope this will turn things around.

Wow, even I might get interested in this title. To have vechicle building as a way for puzzle solving is for sure something novel. If implented well this could turn out to be amazing...

Loved the videos. Thanks for those. Really happy to be wrong about the building vehicles with parts. It looks really fun!

It reminds me of my Intro to Engineering class where we had to design a vehicle from a list of parts like motors, batteries, balsa wood, etc. The object was to transport as many Styrofoam balls from one end of a small obstacle course to the other using the vehicle. In my group we were all older guys and we decided to do something totally different: we didn't make a motorized vehicle. We instead designed an electric winch to pull a small sled carrying the balls from one end of the course to the other. We called it Santa's Sled and we were Santa's Helpers. LOL Anyway, after one try we found out it was easier to not even use the sled, but just tie the balls to the line and yank it! We got the world record for the fastest time to traverse the course: 3 seconds. LOL :) I wonder if the game will be flexible enough to do some outrageous ideas like that? hehe

Tommy McClain

I like the approach they are taking. Besides, why make Banjo another generic platformer a la Mario?

This one will be a game on its own league

As for the visuals it looks beautiful

IN every single video I saw the framerate looked terrible.

Somebody heard complains about it?

Heh I tought my virtual PC was stuttering though strange since it is able to play smoothly 1080p h.264 videos. Anyway that is some serious framerate issues, they need to fix that but it looks really sweat and detailed for this type of game.

Back