Romero/Carmack DOOM 30th Anniversary Stream Next Month

Davros

Legend
An X from John Romero announces that to celebrate next month's 30th anniversary of DOOM, he will be reuniting with id Software cofounder John Carmack for a live discussion of the seminal first-person shooter. This will all take place on the actual anniversary date of December 10th on John's Twitch Channel

Dec 10 8pm GMT on https://twitch.tv/theromero

That be awesome. I'd love to see MS bring both of them in to make a few new levels to the original Doom or hell get the original team back together to do a new Act

An X from John Romero announces that to celebrate next month's 30th anniversary of DOOM, he will be reuniting with id Software cofounder John Carmack for a live discussion of the seminal first-person shooter. This will all take place on the actual anniversary date of December 10th on John's Twitch Channel

Dec 10 8pm GMT on https://twitch.tv/theromero
Shit. Looks like Romero is finally ready to make you his bitch.

I’m surprised that it only hit maybe 5k max viewers live, but it was a nice refresher on some id history.

I forgot all about it and I'm the one who posted it
Question: Do you think iD have missed Carmack
my 2 cents I dont know if he's missed from a programming pov last iD game ran great not sure how much of Carmack's code is in that
but there is no public face of iD any more and the days of game source code being released seem to have ended.

Last edited:
my 2 cents I dont know if he's missed from a programming pov last iD game ran great not sure how much of Carmack's code is in that
but there is no public face of iD any more and the days of game source code being released seem to have ended.
Whatever Carmack did with idTech, he created the best feeling engine for FPS. I don't know the cause but I remember playing Rage and thinking how good it feels to aim with a mouse. The recent Doom games retain this feeling. Unreal is incredible but the FPSes I've played on UE don't have the same quality of mouse responsiveness and smoothness. It's not bad but idTech just feels right to me.

I think it goes a long way to making the player feel like such a badass in the Doom games. In Doom Eternal I was quickscoping demon faces like I was 19 again. Since I hit 30 I haven't really been able to do that. It was great.

Had Carmack stayed we might've got more idtech engines open-sourced by now, though perhaps commercial considerations might still have overridden that.

Don't more modern game engines often use much more third party IP and middleware? I'd think that would make open sourcing an issue regardless of how much you'd want to do it.

Yeah, it's possible that it would've never happened regardless, though Carmack was known to be quite militant about not patenting software and open source.

What 3rd party and or middleware has id used? I mean before and after Carmack left?
Certainly there must have been some on the production side. But consumer facing, Quake 3 used S3TC which is licensed tech, and Doom 3 had EAX after a settlement of a lawsuit involving "Carmack's Reverse".

Hugo Martin is the face of id Software now. He's maybe not super well known like Kojima or Carmack/Romero or anything, but he definitely does put himself out there, and seems to be one of the key guiding people keeping that studio top tier nowadays. He's passionate about shooters and plays Doom on streams and whatnot.

Back