Banjo Threeie

Gif explosion!

Mod Note: Again, please don't use img tags for very large file sizes! -AlS

IMG tagging animated gifs is still outlawed by the forums rules... Further antagonizing the mods by putting "Gif explosion!" in your post might not be smart idea, IMHO. ;)

Eurogamer Hands-On

The first thing you need to know about Banjo-Kazooie's expansive E3 demo is the one that's going to get the traditionalists shaking and sputtering with rage: you don't do very much platforming in it. The second thing you need to know, following close on the heels of the first, is that that's fine, because it's still great fun.

In visual terms, everything remains as colourful and cheerful as you'd expect from a Banjo-Kazooie game. The level of detail Rare has managed in such enormous zones, however, is incredibly impressive. In the E3 demo, every texture and surface has been carefully considered - the team is aiming for a "constructed" look to the whole world, something which it's achieved by leaving the obvious scars of human construction on everything in the zone.

Interview: Rare's Mark Betteridge

"Some players will spend many hours fine-tuning their vehicles - or making things that you wouldn't even consider vehicles," Mark predicts. "When we gave the game to testing, they really opened it up! A significant part of the game is the community aspect, the ability to trade blueprints and see what else other people have built. Within a few hours, our testers had built things as diverse as a space shuttle that actually took off vertically, someone else made an aircraft carrier... Someone else made a Godzilla, complete with breathing fire and laser eyes! They all actually worked, as vehicles."

"When you think of vehicles, there's a tendency for people to think of a plane, a boat, a car or something of that type," he says. "There are many, many different aspects to this, though, and once we've had this game on the market for a while, I think we'll be all stunned by the variety in what the community comes up with."

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/16/joystiq-e3-hands-on-banjo-kazooie-nuts-and-bolts/

I'm no great fan of Banjo-Kazooie. In fact, if memory serves, I once stated on the Joystiq Podcast that a bear who had a bird in his backpack is the single dumbest idea for a game in history. So it was no small amount of dread that I sidled up to Banjoe-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts last night at a Microsoft party.

Sure, it looked really gorgeous, with zero pop-in and tons of color, a welcome respite from a lot of the grays and browns I'd been seeing during the week. Controls were pretty solid too. Some of the vehicles were disorienting at first, but they didn't take too long to get a hold of.

Regardless, it could have been the result of the selection I was playing or how much time I could spend with it, but I was bored and almost ready to pack it in, secure in the knowledge that my preconceptions were once again on the money.

But then I tried the vehicle editor.

It's such a pleasure that even when your vehicle doesn't work out thank to the surprisingly realistic physics, it's no chore to give it another try.

So no, I still don't know if Nuts and Bolts will be a good game. But what I can say pretty authoritatively? As a toy it's already brilliant.

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3168692&p=4

What's our take? Though the game looks amazing -- and at this stage, it's already running smoothly -- we're still not completely sold on the idea of a platformer that relies so heavily on driving and flying. While you have the option to upgrade your ride with new abilities, the driving physics seemed loose, which made the vehicles difficult to control and prone to flipping over. Still, the team's already made subtle changes to the game (like adding the aforementioned quick-fix button), so they certainly have time to tweak these control issues.

It's certainly empowering to be able to create a vehicle from so many options, but this also makes the process feel intimidating. With all of the things to do, items to collect, and vehicles to upgrade, this game might fall into the familiar trap of being too complex for young children yet too cute for teenagers and adults. What we've seen so far is just a small slice of a much larger game, though, so there's always the chance the finished product will overcome these concerns.

Buying the XBLA orignial Banjo ties right into Nuts and Bolts. You'll unlock things in Nuts and Bolts by playing through the XBLA title! I think this is a first for any title right?

New images of yay!!!:

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_6849_en.html
1162_0001.jpg

Mod Note: Discussion Forum, not photogallery! Please use a link to the gallery, and try to avoid hotlinking with img tags as it steals their bandwidth. -AlS

Buying the XBLA orignial Banjo ties right into Nuts and Bolts. You'll unlock things in Nuts and Bolts by playing through the XBLA title! I think this is a first for any title right?

Where you read this? Anyway, I assume you're talking about Stop 'N' Swop in the original N64 game? It's not the first game to do it. I think yesterday's EA Sports Fantasy Football Live Draft Tracker is the first. With it you can export your fantasy football team roster into Madden NFL 2009. Really cool. I think I'll use it to keep up with my favorite teams and players.

BTW, Fable II Pub Games for XBLA is another game that can work with a disc game. They already announced that Fable II Pub games is scheduled for August. Those who pre-order Fable II will get it for free. BTW, you could just get it for free with the games when it ships in October.

I do like how they're finally getting some interactivity between XBLA games and disc games.

Tommy McClain

Banjo Dev Diary 1

Personally, I’m looking forward to seeing the hi-res textures applied to Terrarium, a space-level built of interconnected tubes and chambers, as well as getting the chance to play in the CPU-themed world, which has been designed to be approached vertically rather than horizontally like most platformers.

The first thing that struck most players of the classic games was the size of the levels — they were much larger than many gamers had previously experienced. The same applies to Nuts & Bolts. When I dropped into Nutty Acres, I had the same feeling of awe I had upon entering Treasure Trove Cove for the first time.

Your jaw will hit the floor the first time you soar into the sky and see the whole of Nutty Acres lying beneath you, especially after being daunted by its sheer size when you first entered the level on foot.

All of the contraptions have a very distinct Banjo feel, being a bit rough around the edges and slightly on the silly side. There are practically no limits to the contraptions you can build, but physics dictate which ones fly and which ones flop. You can check out how your creations handle on Mumbo’s Test-o-Track, and I’ve spent as much time building contraptions for laughs as for utility.

What really makes the game Banjo, though, is the familiar cast of characters and idiosyncratic dialogue. The script is in the hands of Rare’s master editor, the chap who is also responsible for Scribes. However, he really deserves his own diary entry so I’ll save details on how the story is shaping up for another time. There’s a lot I haven’t touched on — not least the graphical effects, the contraption editing tool and the musical score — so at least I won’t be short of topics for the next entry.

after watching several vids and reading that... I'd say this and Fable 2 are my two top games of the fall... is there a firm release date for this?

The screenshot shows close to no aliasing, it could be AAx4 + supersampling from 720P to 576P

Pixelcounters wanted :LOL:

beautiful screens those are.

I have read that Rare is utilizing and building this game to take advantage of the HW like no other before it. Using all the tricks in the book

beautiful screens those are.

I have read that Rare is utilizing and building this game to take advantage of the HW like no other before it. Using all the tricks in the book
I'm still waiting for them to put their best efforts in others genre too.

But :es: it looks pretty good.

Back