Banjo Threeie

I could conceive of a couple of vehicle games that are not racers. Could be "mech"style, Battlefront, Battlezone, etc. Just cause they included vehicles doesn't meen it's a racing game.

Tommy McClain

The shots I have seen show a number of vehicles along with corresponding blueprints for them. IIRC, there was a truck, a helicopter, boat, and some evil garbage truck contraption. With that all told the game will probably revolve more around gathering pieces to build the various machines and then using those machines in some other gameplay mechanic or as part of potential boss fights.

Last edited by a moderator:
This game looks very colorful (like most Rare games) and interesting. I am not a big platformer fan but wanting to see the mechanic details of the game.

I'm thinking you use the platforming to get items to make the vehicle. You use the vehicles to get from one area to another. Ofcourse, this travel isn't peaceful or free, so you either race your way to freedom or battle through it. We should know tomorrow!

I'm not sure about using parts to build the vehicles. Maybe, but all the gears and cogs throughout all the artwork makes me think your job is building or repairing something to keep the worlds going. Maybe you're using the vehicles to transport the parts you'll need from one part of the world to the other?

Tommy McClain

Info from the new GI was posted on GAF.

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts

• Rare says they didn't want to make a hi-res version of the old Banjo platformer.
  • You create vehicles with parts you find around the levels.
  • GI says their first vehicle was a 4 wheeled kart with a spring attached to the bottom that allowed them to jump things. They later found a helicopter blade that allowed their kart to fly. Later they added balloons to the vehicle and put the blade on the back and created a hovercraft.
  • Rare showed them a vehicle that was a monster truck that was able to detach its chasis to become a mini bike. When the bike ramped off a cliff it revealed collapsible glider wings and started flying.
  • There will be 1,600 parts including weapons that you'll be able to attach to the vehicles.
  • Fans of the original title shouldn't worry that Rare is forsaking the series' roots altogether. While vehicles are a large part of the game, Banjo's Hub world, Showdown Town, will still contain more traditional platforming trials, such as tightrope walking and jiggy piece collecting, to help break up the action.
  • Showdown Town is 16 times larger than anything Rare has created before.
  • Every level has a different intro. Nutty Acres begins with a credits spoof of 80's soap opera's like Dallas.
  • Note collecting is back and will act as currency that'll allow you to buy vehicle blueprints.
  • Rare says there are 15 different challenges spread across 6 different levels. There will also be side missions.

More

• Banjo (slated for November)
  • Building vehicles is basically like playing with LEGO. You can always jump in and out of the vehicle editor and come right back to the game with the new design.
  • Parts are easily placed and moved around. You don't have to worry about connecting the motor with the wheels for example. Just place everything so they stick together and don't get in the way.
  • Vehicle designs can play a large role in missions. We saw one where you had to collect coconuts from a field and got a small truck that could suck them up. Unfortunately you couldn't fit all the coconuts in the truck and had to back and deliver them in a large barrel. We were then shown how you could create a helicopter with a hook, that could pick up this large barrel, fly to the coconut field and fly low to scoop the coconuts in the barrel.
  • Physics are awesome in this game and everywhere! With one design I placed the foot-in-a-box weapon behind a propella, and when I tried to use it, the foot/boot couldn't get past the propella... well, until I used it enough times to actually kick the propella off the vehicle!
  • Pixel art... imagine the possibilities (Rare already had an example of this, paying homage to a certain plumber)
  • Multiplayer is great fun with the ability to either chose from pre-fabricated or own vehicle designs. It still needs some polish here and there, but showed great promise.

From Nexus on GAF when someone asked if he liked the game

Did I find it fun? Me and colleague haven't stopped thinking about it since we played it. It was extremely fun being able to create your own vehicles however you wanted it and play around with them. Just that in itself. It works so great! Add balloons and it will start to float. Add wings and you can actually steer in the air and fly around. Add inflatable balls and you won't sink when landing on water. Add a propella and you got propulsion in the water. Everything makes sense and work exactly how you think they will.

Now take that concept into multiplayer...

I have to say that by the sounds of it this may be a very innovative game.

The art style is also unique. The characters may be "blocky" but it was intentional and gives a unique distinct feel.

Thanks to NexusSDK on GAF, some off screen shots. They look pretty hot.

banjo4.jpg

banjo7.jpg

more: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11151146&postcount=334

IGN has a preview up.

It's not the most common of things for a videogame franchise to be simultaneously reinvented and revived, so you can imagine the wondrous looks of the other visitors as we entered Rare's secluded studio in rural England. The Banjo franchise is beloved and the platformer genre is on Mario life support. Rare would need to do something special to win over a skeptic public. At the end of the day, it was easy to read the smiling faces of the other visitors: This is the game that we've been waiting for Rare to deliver since being bought by Microsoft.

As you may have already heard, this Banjo is not a traditional platformer like its predecessors. It's an evolution that injects user generated content into the classic platforming structure. Rather than completing a level and unlocking a power or skill to use in the next, this Banjo only gives you the parts and leaves the tool making up to you.

As of right now the banjo footage is an incredible disappointment to me. Maybe I will like the game more as time goes on and I get used to the idea. But I just can't imagine enjoying it having just woken up, being my grumpy morning self, and it being so different than I was hoping for. It may not be a racing game but the trailer was 99% vehicles, and that was a major turn off.

As of right now the banjo footage is an incredible disappointment to me. Maybe I will like the game more as time goes on and I get used to the idea. But I just can't imagine enjoying it having just woken up, being my grumpy morning self, and it being so different than I was hoping for. It may not be a racing game but the trailer was 99% vehicles, and that was a major turn off.

Wouldn't worry too much about that. Traditional platforming is still there and the new 'lego-esque' mechanic seems really great from the people that have played it:

Between optional objectives such as that, the multiplayer, and a grading system to encourage replaying challenges, the game should have plenty of content, but I'm most intrigued to find out whether Nuts & Bolts comes together in the cohesive, creatively invigorating manner I'm hoping it does. It's certainly new and exciting...but when playing, I had a tough time determining whether I was actually having fun or was simply so fascinated by the novelty and entertained by the vehicle-building that it was compelling enough on those merits alone. Or maybe that's the point? Either way, it'll be an interesting, creatively empowering fall season for gamers.

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3167777&p=4

edit: nice pic

438.JPG

Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts looks amazing, both graphically and gameplay wise. I am glad Rare is not just making Banjo HD, and has decided to go with a more innovative approach to the traditional platformer formula. The two previews I read were pretty glowing, highlighting the seemingly endless contraptions one can build to complete the objective at hand. As long as the gameplay environments, and challenges are varied this game seems like it will shape up to be a real winner.

Another stunning screen shot!

media

Another interview:

The trick is not forcing everybody to play it for a colossal amount of time. So if people want to try and complete it in like 20 to 30 hours that’s fine. If people want to then carry on, that’s fine,” he said.

Mayles added: “The player will be able to play it, collect a certain number of vehicle parts, build vehicles to get through the game and then finish it - but to go back and retry all the challenges to try and improve their rankings, and by doing so you unlock the very best vehicle parts.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=188055

Back