Won't some developer please think of id Tech 7?

Maybe, but everyone would love a Halo game with DOOM Eternal graphics quality.

Halo Infinite easily holds it's own and in many places is better looking that Doom Eternal.

Doom Eternal is nothing special in the graphics department and it never was.

The reason you can get it to 1000fps on PC is because it's not that special looking.

Why would you use ID tech instead of Unreal?
Unreal has better documentation, support, tooling and tons of people know the engine.

Unless you're building a doom like game and already have a relationship with ID there is no point.

Why would you use ID tech instead of Unreal?
Unreal has better documentation, support, tooling and tons of people know the engine.

Unless you're building a doom like game and already have a relationship with ID there is no point.
I'm actually surprised Arkane went with Unreal for Redfall instead of using something else. They've used IDTech and Cryengine in the past, along with Unreal, and I think their IDTech games were pretty impressive. I know people didn't like Wolfenstein Youngblood all that much (I personally enjoyed it) but I thought it looked great and ran very well. It was one of the first good DLSS games and it's RT features are some of the most performant I've ever seen.

I'm actually surprised Arkane went with Unreal for Redfall instead of using something else.
As we've learned, Redfall's original design was for a heavily monetized GaaS. idTech likely had no existing provisions for what they wanted to do, whereas Unreal Engine does.

I’d guess id software doesn’t want to split out their engine team to be supporting too many games at once. They want an engine tailored for maximum performance, and want their team tightly involved with specific game projects. Wouldn’t be surprised to see maybe Machinegames or whatever continue to use it but it’ll be used very selectively.

Also Doom Eternal is still the king of modern fps and whatever they put out next will continue that trend.

I’d guess id software doesn’t want to split out their engine team to be supporting too many games at once. They want an engine tailored for maximum performance, and want their team tightly involved with specific game projects. Wouldn’t be surprised to see maybe Machinegames or whatever continue to use it but it’ll be used very selectively.
The Youngblood branch of IDTech had a custom RT solution, and ID rolled their own for Doom Eternal. I'm not sure how much support they would have to offer, because the team at Arkane are clearly talented enough to add more performant (though less feature rich) RT.

The Youngblood branch of IDTech had a custom RT solution, and ID rolled their own for Doom Eternal. I'm not sure how much support they would have to offer, because the team at Arkane are clearly talented enough to add more performant (though less feature rich) RT.

It's funny that we have three RT solution running branches of idTech. Idtech7, MachineGames thing and Void.

Are MachineGames using IdTech X for the Indiana Jones game? That's likely to be a good acid test.

We don't know. There were mumblings of a UE switch based on a level designer ad namechecking Unreal Editor experience. That could be reading far too much into 'as a level design have experience of using one of these tools'.

A Wolfenstein developer using UE would be positively treacherous! :)

When id Software was acquired, anyone said that the id Tech would be MS' secret weapon against UE5: a high performing multiplatform engine to be tailored to take advantage of windows's and xbox's perks.
The only problem is that nobody, outside of id Software for only one game, has ever used id Tech 7, and now is getting too old compared to the competition.
And almost nobody has ever used past versions of id Tech.

Why?
It's a good engine, performs well on every platform, it's proven and is lightweight.

Even Lumberyard is more popular among developers.
I absolutely love this engine and I'd love to see it shine some more. Whenever I play any of the modern Wolfenstein games, I routinely pause the gameplay and just poke around admiring the technical decisions they've made.

Fingers crossed MS' acquisition leads to some of their 1st party games using it more.

Back