Won't some developer please think of id Tech 7?

fehu

Veteran
When id Software was acquired, anyone said that the id Tech would be MS' secret weapon against UE5: a high performing multiplatform engine to be tailored to take advantage of windows's and xbox's perks.
The only problem is that nobody, outside of id Software for only one game, has ever used id Tech 7, and now is getting too old compared to the competition.
And almost nobody has ever used past versions of id Tech.

Why?
It's a good engine, performs well on every platform, it's proven and is lightweight.

Even Lumberyard is more popular among developers.

Because no one cares enough when most devs are comfortable using their own engine or the current third party slate they are used to using

........For running Doom like games.

It's not been established or proven the engine is actually flexible enough to be used for a wide range of game genre's and still perform well.
Yep. Look at EA wanting to use frostbite for everything which resulted in gems like Anthem and Mass Effect: Andromeda.

When id Software was acquired, anyone said that the id Tech would be MS' secret weapon against UE5: a high performing multiplatform engine to be tailored to take advantage of windows's and xbox's perks.
The only problem is that nobody, outside of id Software for only one game, has ever used id Tech 7, and now is getting too old compared to the competition.

Its debut was in 2020. Its enhancements over id Tech 6 are significant enough to call it a new engine.
Two years is not "too old".

Two years is a lot after nanite, and ok, maybe it's not flexible enough to cover every genre, but at least fps?

Loads of third parties used the Quake 3 engine, but I think the turning point was Doom 3 with its more computationally intensive lighting and shadows, which I don't think could handle large areas as well as Unreal 2 engine could. I think only Prey used the Doom 3 engine outside Id.

Two years is a lot after nanite, and ok, maybe it's not flexible enough to cover every genre, but at least fps?

A lot of FPS games are more open and expansive now while Doom is still very corridor based most of the time.

Could ID Tech handle something like COD Warzone without needing major work?

Last edited:
You can't hire anyone with experience using modern idTech. Performant production wins over performant rendering features.

Lumberyard is better than id Tech in the modern world. Except for id themselves and maybe Machine Games.

So many things would have to be done to make the engine competitive enough to go up against the likes of Unreal and Unity, and Id only has itself to blame. That is if they ever intended for any company outside Zenimax to use it.

During the early Xbox 360/PS3 days was Id's time to strike, like Epic did in making their tech mainstream. The industry was in need of advanced 3rd party engines, and Id stood with Epic as the vanguard of advanced engine technology.
As far as I remember, they didn't show signs of being interested in doing so. It is strange because, before that generation, there were so many games derived from Id technology that you would assume they would have a leg up on Epic.
They can try this generation with whatever technology they are working on currently. Still, they would be far behind even if Microsoft gave them the resources.
To be clear, I'm not talking about technology itself. I'm talking about tools making it developer-friendly, support, and documentation.
The less glamorous stuff that has made Unreal a successful and widely used engine.

I imagine something like Callisto Protocol could have worked really well on id7? Or dead space remake.

id have helped Bethesda out on the graphics side for Starfield. Not clear as to what extended at all they have though. Might just be a nice marketing nod, knowing people get excited by such things. Sounds like they helped with the motion blur at the very least and possibility gave some help on reducing input latency (which certainly was a bee in Carmack's bonnet when he was there).

IDTech7 is an extremely good engine.

The reason MS doesn't use it is because MS doesn't normally use this generation graphically, and game-wise, period...

There is an advanced console hardware, but the gaming industry is lagging behind technically due to the abundance of outdated HDD PCs... This was the result of the console PC friendship. Great...

IDTech7 is an extremely good engine.

The reason MS doesn't use it is because MS doesn't normally use this generation graphically, and game-wise, period...

There is an advanced console hardware, but the gaming industry is lagging behind technically due to the abundance of outdated HDD PCs.

Gaming PC's have had SSD's for over a decade and it's been pretty much impossible to buy a pre-built PC with an HDD as the main storage device for years now.

Even checking out out PCWorld right now, they don't list a single pre-built PC (Either for office work for gaming) that uses an HDD.

NVME SSD's and HDD's are the same cost now so it makes little sense for anyone to use an HDD over an NVME SSD.

The last generation consoles with their 5400rpm HDD's are likely causing more issues than PC's are when it comes to storage.

Gaming PC's have had SSD's for over a decade and it's been pretty much impossible to buy a pre-built PC with an HDD as the main storage device for years now.

Even checking out out PCWorld right now, they don't list a single pre-built PC (Either for office work for gaming) that uses an HDD.

NVME SSD's and HDD's are the same cost now so it makes little sense for anyone to use an HDD over an NVME SSD.

The last generation consoles with their 5400rpm HDD's are likely causing more issues than PC's are when it comes to storage.
Believe me, if the games were primarily developed for the Xbox Series, and all this was built only on the modern SSD I/O data transfer with internal game engines, and this was ported to an SSD-only PC later, then the current generation hardware would be much better used.

That's just not how the gaming industry works these days.

Back