Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora [PS5, XBSX|S, PC]

The game looked very downgraded from the last time we saw it.
If you mean the original reveal trailer sure. But the trailer from a couple months looks the same unless my memory is inaccurate.

Going back and watching the reveal trailer, the segments that are gameplay still look fairly similar. Those other clips though may as well be CG.

Last edited:
The game looked very downgraded from the last time we saw it.
Not at all.

This still looks better than Horizon Forbidden West overall. Incredible amounts of detail.

As for gameplay, I've always like Far Cry, so taking that base and putting it into a totally new setting and story with different sorts of abilities and enemies and whatnot sounds good to me.

If that was really the 60fps mode of the PS5 version, it looks really good, easily on par at the very least with HZFW, and with RT in the 30fps mode, should look even better.
I hope they'all also put a 40fps mode.

If that was really the 60fps mode of the PS5 version, it looks really good, easily on par at the very least with HZFW, and with RT in the 30fps mode, should look even better.
I hope they'all also put a 40fps mode.
imagine this with psvr2 support

What bothers me about the Avatar video are the harsh shadows on water surfaces. Otherwise they are soft but hard on water. Only a few games like Uncharted 4 have gotten that right so far.

I also felt underwhelmed by it visually in the vast majority of the footage.

It depends on what kind of games you are used to. For such a game with a lot of vegetation and a large world it looks very good. At home it will also look better than in the trailer.

What is always a very difficult scenario are deciduous trees from above and the distance. If you approach them from above there are often shadow and LOD problems. In a game like RDR2 you don't have these problems because you are always on the ground.

I found Ghost Recon Wildlands to be extremely good at that in 2017 with many tree types.

Since then I haven't seen a forest as dense as the ones in Wildlands.

I don't know about this one. Feels a lot like the more recent ghost recon type games.

That all the assets, and a lot of the map, were built for last gen is painfully obvious at times. But otherwise I guess if you're into Ubisoft sandboxes/are a megafan of Avatar (they exist, dunno how but they definitely do) it looks fine.

That all the assets, and a lot of the map, were built for last gen is painfully obvious at times. But otherwise I guess if you're into Ubisoft sandboxes/are a megafan of Avatar (they exist, dunno how but they definitely do) it looks fine.

Gameplay wise, I think ubisoft has fallen off of a cliff. They play it so safe. There's literally nothing in this preview that would make me want to play it.

Ehhh. Many of the areas shown look much worse than the September trailer. Gameplay looks like more Ubisoft checkbox fare.

Ehhh. Many of the areas shown look much worse than the September trailer. Gameplay looks like more Ubisoft checkbox fare.

I don't want to judge the graphics too much because I have no idea what settings he's on. I know he has a crazy pc, but it's early access and mystery pc settings.

Apparently this was the PC version at high settings. The general tone from those who previewed it is that it's not a very polished visual experience. Don't expect something that matches up to Horizon FW. In terms of gameplay it's basically an Avatar spin off of Far Cry.

Apparently this was the PC version at high settings. The general tone from those who previewed it is that it's not a very polished visual experience. Don't expect something that matches up to Horizon FW. In terms of gameplay it's basically an Avatar spin off of Far Cry.

I like Far Cry but that’s still disappointing. I was hoping for more innovation in gameplay and more cutting edge graphics. Ubisoft isn’t known for either though so it’s probably asking too much.

Back