Serious Sam 2 Tech Demo on ATI Rxxx (DirectX & Ati booth

no_way said:
On a related note, has anyone seen a recent side-by-side objective comparison of two API's ?

Thank god someone asked. Been thinking for ages about that, I'd love to see it. Just to clarify the myths..

Fodder said:
Chalnoth said:
Fodder said:
Valve were formed from ex-MS employees who were chummy with Bill & co, but at the time OGL was still far superior.
I think it instead comes from the fact that they were using a modified Quake/Quake 2 engine. Note that they did add a Direct3D renderer, but were unable to get its performance as high as OpenGL.
1. Why add a D3D renderer when they had a perfectly sufficient OGL one? Because they had a close relationship with Microsoft.
2. Why keep the OGL renderer after coding a D3D one? Because at the time, OGL was still far superior.
That was sort of my point. But it wasn't so much that OpenGL was so inherently superior in terms of performance, but rather that there was already a good OpenGL renderer, and Valve realized that it would have taken much more time to get Direct3D to work as quickly.

Thanks! Strange no one has done a new one yet, seen how u can find things like "Comparison between AMD Athlon64 and the new Zanussi Microwave"... :|

How useful is OpenML? Is it production ready, maybe used for any games yet? The OpenML site lists specification information and offers a few downloads, anyone have any experience with the SDK?

This would be an interesting topic for a new thread, if there is anyone with any experience with it to provide a starting point.

Back