Assassins Creed GAMEPLAY Trailer

I don't know if this is IGN spewing non sense or if this really came out of Jade Raymond's mouth, but here is the info:

While the PlayStation 3 and 360 versions of Assassin's Creed are virtually identical, Raymond did say that on the 360 the team is putting a special emphasis on achievements. The hardware also allows for improved threading, which will improve even further the crowd AI.

I can't tell if IGN is refering to what she said or spewing nonsense. Do you think this is true? I mean the difference in A.I. between PS3/X360 versions?

Err, "The hardware..." does not say 360 or PS3, i guess it's next-gen in general which has better threading ability than a usual PC due to their mulit-core nature (which is also targeted as you said) which is favourable for crowd AIs.

In context its clear what the message is. The question is if the context is presented correctly by IGN.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't tell if IGN is refering to what she said or spewing nonsense. Do you think this is true? I mean the difference in A.I. between PS3/X360 versions?

I think that Cell has great potential for AI, but it's going to be harder to tap, as finding the 'right' algorithm to run on the SPEs is not going to be a walk in the park. If you recall the interview I did with Mike Acton here, a lot of the code suitable for Cell - and the best way of approaching it - gets discussed. Now, when it was all said and done I noticed (due to someone bringing it up in the B3D thread) that I forgot to ask about something I had meant to... AI. So I asked him about it afterwards and he seemed quite contemplative about it. The power for great things is there, but it's approach will require a method different to what's gotten physics, collision detection, etc.. running superbly on Cell.

So frankly - and this guy is a damn near visionary on the BE architecture - I think that Cell's AI potential will be tapped in the future; so conversly, I have no trouble believing that in the present, Ubisoft truly does have a better AI implementation running on the 360. Now, some of that might have to do with them just being MS-friendly devs in general, but who knows to what extent each factors in.

In context its clear what the message is. The question is if the context is presented correctly by IGN.

We will just have to wait and see until we get a similar interview posted on ps3.ign.com ... ;)

Until that time though, I can indeed imagine that they just coded mostly for the PPE cores of both systems, and that maybe they hardly even needed more than just the PPEs for this game, but that once they decided for this approach, they found it relatively easy to scale some of their routines to multicore on the 360. That is, after all, the advantage of the 360 - it's easier to make your general routines run on multiple cores.

For the Cell, you need to design a streaming approach, and that requires a completely different way of coding. It is certainly possible and can bring great rewards, but it will be more difficult, and you could imagine them to opt out of they could, especially for early multi-platform development.

I have seen some interesting small articles and posts on AI on Cell, and they looked very promising. I wish I was a games-designer at this point, and all I had to spend my time on was figuring out this kind of stuff. :D

I'm not sure about what Next Gen software is, but I think I know what PC ports are.

Ya, and you better get used to it too. This won't be the last time this happens, on many high profile games. This is MS leveraging their main advantage: software.

Ya, and you better get used to it too. This won't be the last time this happens, on many high profile games. This is MS leveraging their main advantage: software.

is not a port if its being developed simultaneously... I think is obvious by now that a lot of 360 games are going to be released under the games for windows platform as well. FEAR is a port. AC is not a port.

Its highly doubtful that a game so early this gen will reach the peak of current-gen ( Next gen?). So in next couple of years we will see games going beyond what AC can do.

I hope so... yes... that's why I said for the moment. I imagine though that certain games in development at any point in time are pushing the limits farther to the current cutting edge which then expands over time to be farther out.

Until that time though, I can indeed imagine that they just coded mostly for the PPE cores of both systems, and that maybe they hardly even needed more than just the PPEs for this game, but that once they decided for this approach, they found it relatively easy to scale some of their routines to multicore on the 360. That is, after all, the advantage of the 360 - it's easier to make your general routines run on multiple cores.

I love how until AC was announced for the 360 it was the pinnacle of Next-Gen software, only doable thanks to the potential of the PS3 and Cell (not to mention the ubiquitous Bluray since that game was going to be 20+Gigs), and now it's "oh, well, it probably was just running on the PPE anyway, so the porting to 360 is obvious". :rolleyes:

Same thing is happening with Bioshock (looked "okay" when only confirmed as a 360 title, then "absolutely gorgeous next-gen uber graphics" when rumored to be PS3/360, and now back to "just okay, and won't sell anyway" since exclusivity has been confirmed (of course, PS3 fans can gloat about the "superior version" supposedly coming if it's a timed exclusive).

It's not limited to Sony fans, though, look how Nintendo fans who swore that RE4 on PS2 was crap because of somewhat lesser graphics now spin that "graphics don't matter" or "Zelda TP looks next-gen to me", and I'm sure Lost Planet would suddenly become "just ok" for many XBox fans if announced for PS3.

The only thing that grows faster than computing power when changing generations is fanb0y silliness. That's absolutely maddening. Solving the energy crisis will probably require using fanb0y-powered dynamo engines, since each of them generates enough spin to power a medium-size city. :mad:

I find the AI comment interesting.

I'm coming from a network software development background, where I do standard multithreaded coding daily.

To me, xbox threading model is much more intuitive than the PS3 model (because of the memory coherence). This seems like the fortelling that the xbox will have the advantage (because of the simpler, more familiar model) at least in the short term.

So I'm very curious to see how this all plays out. And if the short term advantage will last in the long haul, and into next gen.

I guess not, judging from the "conclusions" IGN (360) tends to draw from the slightest positive news bout the 360, like that built in HDMI capability and so :)

We will just have to wait and see until we get a similar interview posted on ps3.ign.com ... ;)

That's how it works :D

P.S.: And thanks for negative rep again, seems posting "against" 360 isn't very welcome here...

"Go read the quote on Xbox360.ign.com for yourself"
- i did, that's why i posted this :)

P.S.: And thanks for negative rep again, seems posting "against" 360 isn't very welcome here...

You should feel happy for only getting negative rep. I've been banned more than once for simply voicing my opinion that the Wii controller is a gimmick, and that PC FPS fans wouldn't call it the best controller possible for FPS's.

Even to this day they will occassionally delete my responses to other forum members who take little jabs at me while leaving those posts against me in place. They did that to me just yesterday in the Oblivion screenshot thread.

By "software", what do you mean exactly? It's too vague to discuss. Now, if you mean easier PC ports on a Microsoft console, I'm well used to it already because Xbox 1 was even easier for PC ports than Xbox 360.

To me, xbox threading model is much more intuitive than the PS3 model (because of the memory coherence). This seems like the fortelling that the xbox will have the advantage (because of the simpler, more familiar model) at least in the short term.
Xbox 360 is like programming on a single multi-core PC (because it's what it is), while PS3 is like programming a supercomputer or a server cluster.

By "software", what do you mean exactly? It's too vague to discuss. Now, if you mean easier PC ports on a Microsoft console, I'm well used to it already because Xbox 1 was even easier for PC ports than Xbox 360.

MS is concentrating on making it increasingly easy to develop cross platform 360/PC games, which means many cross platform games for PS3 and 360 will also be on PC, and you can probably expect many of them not to take full advantage of the PS3's CPU architecture and take fuller advantage of the 360's more PC like model.

In other words, I wouldn't be too surprised if the 360 CPU ends up being stronger than CELL in many cross platform games. This is, imo, an example of MS leveraging their software advantage.

LOL, I don't even think the 'Cell as supercomputer' programming model is that far out of whack to tell you the truth though... it really is a little more like addressing seperate nodes in a self-contained cluster. Now obviously the whole 'supercomputer' connotation itself may be a little inflammatory, but One was just speaking to the programming models I believe.

supercomputer huh? ;)

Models... programming models... I mean...

shifty.gif

LOL, I don't even think the 'Cell as supercomputer' programming model is that far out of whack to tell you the truth though... it really is a little more like addressing seperate nodes in a self-contained cluster. Now obviously the whole 'supercomputer' connotation itself may be a little inflammatory, but One was just speaking to the programming models I believe.
That's what I mean, you need better programmers for PS3 for now. If using the "supercomputer" word is agitating, I should have used "RPC" or "the object-messaging model in Smalltalk" or whatever.

But whether this difficulty is inherent or not is unclear, it may be just because there are less experiences with this kind of programming model.

Back