Assassins Creed GAMEPLAY Trailer

Oh I agree with you there, but its still kinda lame to see guards idle around you. I'm sure it will be better in the final version but what I saw now I was extremely impressed but the fighting didn't impress me.

I was actually waiting for some of the civilians to fight back but it didn't happen. :(
I don't see how that could change though. What else could be done for the guards without making the game nigh on impossible? We get the same problems in movies where the protagonist would easily be whipped if the numerous enemies acted smartly. Realism renders most games and movies impossible, which is why it's mostly ignored, and I don't see how that can be changed except in a few very rare and carefully constructed situations.

Oh I agree with you there, but its still kinda lame to see guards idle around you. I'm sure it will be better in the final version but what I saw now I was extremely impressed but the fighting didn't impress me.

Are they really standing idle or on guard ? It's still pretty realistic to fight one-on-one when surrounded. Anyway, we don't know what the difficulty level is and I'm sure further game balancing is needed. As it stands, AC's unique and different enough to be in a class by itself.

Someone should make a "Shinobi" game out of this (I meant the recent Japanese movie "Shinobi", not the game).

Well, fighting two enemies at once is already incredibly hard and exhausting. That is, the way we've practiced it in kungfu lessons a few times many years ago ;) The number one thing is that even two people can easily overwhelm you, so more than four would simply bury you with just their weight.

Well, fighting two enemies at once is already incredibly hard and exhausting. That is, the way we've practiced it in kungfu lessons a few times many years ago ;) The number one thing is that even two people can easily overwhelm you, so more than four would simply bury you with just their weight.

Agreed. I learnt, among others, to:

1. run away!
2. if not possible, make a lot of noise to attract attention from people that could help you or scares them off because they don't want the attention themselves
3. don't get surrounded
4. if possible, line up your enemies so that one is always standing between you and another (part of why it is exhausting to fight 2 enemies, lot of moving around)
5. try to make every hit count (i.e. take them out permanently)

One thing I'm wondering is that what will the guards do when you go climbing mode? They are chasing you but you decide to take the chase to another level and climb the wall, on top some building. What will they do?

4. if possible, line up your enemies so that one is always standing between you and another (part of why it is exhausting to fight 2 enemies, lot of moving around)

Oh yes, exactly what we've been doing :)

One thing I'm wondering is that what will the guards do when you go climbing mode? They are chasing you but you decide to take the chase to another level and climb the wall, on top some building. What will they do?

Theif3 had climbing like this. In that game the guards basically just stood at the bottom waiting for you to come back down and yelled at you. If they had bows they would shoot at you. It worked ok.

This game is certainly more open than Theif, but it does remind me of that game in some ways.

Similarly the crowd AI was pretty thick. If you push people around, sooner or later someone's going to take a swing at you, and then I expect a load of others would jump in and give a duffing.

I'm pretty sure that actually will happen in this game.

I knew this would be great, and this is how you do crowd physics properly. 6 months left in development is tons of time to fine tune the AI, the kill was sweet....

In practise, do you still try to bury an _armed_ opponent with weight ? One of you might get killed right ?

update

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/736/736325p1.html

notable:

10,000 plus.

That's how many character animations are loaded into Assassin's Creed, 700 of them alone contextual. To put things into perspective, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, developed by the same crack team at Ubisoft Montreal, features 500 character animations

While the PlayStation 3 and 360 versions of Assassin's Creed are virtually identical, Raymond did say that on the 360 the team is putting a special emphasis on achievements. The hardware also allows for improved threading, which will improve even further the crowd AI.

Not sure if I should :LOL: or :???:. Laugh because just a month ago it was thought to be an exclusive title not headed toward the 360, and cringe because of the ick storm it is sure to generate. Obviously there are growing pains on both sides of the fence, but reality is some games will do things better on one platform because it is a strength.

In this case, as AC is also a PC title, my bet is that from a design standpoint it was probably easiest to target the PC/360 from a design model for the AI. i.e. Like any game, this tells us more about Ubisoft's target and not the hardware.

In general I think we will see a lot of this (on both sides of the fence) and will be a good lesson that software makes hardware, but in the end for gamers the experiences is what matters and that is not isolated to any single platform.

In general I think we will see a lot of this (on both sides of the fence) and will be a good lesson that software makes hardware, but in the end for gamers the experiences is what matters and that is not isolated to any single platform.

very good points :smile:

although it's nice to finally see the reality that 360 can hold it's own just fine with Next Gen software.

Not too long ago some mentioned the possibility that AC could not be done on 360. I say that for no other reason than to reaffirm, what I have been saying for the past 18 mos... wait until the systems and games are OUT and let's see what's what. Most likely it will be too close to call (in general) and be as you stated above... software/Devs make the experiences and we can choose which ones suit us best from these 3 new systems.

It's now clear that it's going to be quite a ride no mater which system(s) you choose.

Last edited by a moderator:
although it's nice to finally see the reality that 360 can hold it's own just fine with Next Gen software.
was there any doubt about it ? ;)

I would like to see AI and interactivity with environment pushed further this gen. AC is a very interesting game to watch and have to see how far they can push the envelope on this.

I'm not sure about what Next Gen software is, but I think I know what PC ports are.

I'm sure you do.

What I was implying was that this game just 1 month ago, was being touted (by some) as a PS3 only game possibly because the 360 couldn't hang with it. (ie what I considered the epitome of current Next Gen console software since it was supposedly pushing some limits for the moment)

Its highly doubtful that a game so early this gen will reach the peak of current-gen ( Next gen?). So in next couple of years we will see games going beyond what AC can do.

In this case, as AC is also a PC title, my bet is that from a design standpoint it was probably easiest to target the PC/360 from a design model for the AI. i.e. Like any game, this tells us more about Ubisoft's target and not the hardware..

Err, "The hardware..." does not say 360 or PS3, i guess it's next-gen in general which has better threading ability than a usual PC due to their mulit-core nature (which is also targeted as you said) which is favourable for crowd AIs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back