Apple (PowerVR) TBDR GPU-architecture speculation thread

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by Kaotik, Jul 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Ailuros

Ailuros Epsilon plus three
    Legend Subscriber

Meaning the new deal might skip royalties after all?

I severely doubt they went back to profitability ever since the first announcement that Apple plans to supposedly no longer use their IP. If automotive, TV SoC and the rest are not enough to cover their expenses then Imagination truly needs to completely change course as they can't survive in the longrun, whether there's a Chinese government umbrella related or not.

The entire Alborix philosophy strikes me for far more ambitious plans then just something to render a TV UI or automotive dashboards/infotainment (high end goes to NV IMHO).

#41 Ailuros, Jul 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  2. Nebuchadnezzar

Legend Veteran

Based on the new language omitting "multi-use", it could mean royalties are gone in favour of some flat rate license. But that was the natural course of the original agreement anyhow with royalties diminishing to nothing over the years.
    Again, assuming they actually ever lost profitability and that the Apple money actually ever stopped, disregarding the public drama.

3. Ailuros

Ailuros Epsilon plus three
    Legend Subscriber

I recall from the past the license fees per year to be less than 2 millions at best and the majority of income coming from royalties. Considering Apple is selling several hundreds of million devices per year the loss is there in the longrun.

At some point if they're not paying royalties it'll inevitably come as far if it hasn't been the case already. TV and automotive markets aren't by far as large or fast moving as the mobile markets, meaning IMG will or plans to reduce the Apple royalty loss with what exactly?

I thought that at least Mediatek would balance the persentages between ARM and IMG GPU IP usage ever since, but the scale is increasingly going in ARM's ballpark.

#43 Ailuros, Jul 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2020