Anand has the details about r520,rv530,rv515

The Baron said:
Is the amount of memory never a bottleneck just as fillrate and memory bandwidth can be? The X800 XL reviews show pretty plainly that the usual bottleneck is one of the latter two, not the former, but it still seems to me that the amount of memory available to the card could end up being a bottleneck as the other two increase.
Only if the application uses more than 256MB of data would 512MB be of help. It doesn't really matter much what the shader and fillrate power of the card are (though those things do help it to run at higher resolutions with higher degrees of FSAA, which can require more memory...but the problem is that today you can run at the highest of resolutions available with FSAA without issue with 256MB, for the most part).

geo said:
My memory tells me that the high-res article done awhile back had concluded that ATI was not quite as optimized yet in X8xx line for super-high res as NV had with G70, and that ATI sources had confirmed this to be true. But I suspect that isn't what is being pointed at here.
What you're referring to, I believe, is the hierarchical-Z buffer. On R420 and NV40 it's optimised for upto 2MP screen resolutions.

G70 is optimised for upto 3MP (or is it 4MP?) resolutions.

512MB helps HL-2:

http://www.beyond3d.com/reviews/sapphire/512/index.php?p=12

even at only 1600x1200 6xAA.

What's interesting about R520 is that 8xAA could well take less RAM than 6xAA on older cards:

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showpost.php?p=562592&postcount=1425

Though I should caution that I haven't got a conclusive description of the memory footprint of either R420 AA or R520 AA.

Jawed

trinibwoy said:
The R420 was better optimized to handle higher resolutions than the NV40, but the G70 is far better at higher-res than both.
From what I understand, this was because the NV4x did the FSAA sample averaging at scanout. This requires the front buffer to be of the same size as the back buffer, which means a lot more framebuffer memory storage space. The main benefit is that there is no buffer copying required at swap.

So, as the resolution climbed, one of two things happened:
1. The card ran out of texture memory, forcing more memory to be stored in system RAM, lowering the framerate earlier than with ATI hardware.
2. The card would start to do the downsampling at buffer swap, to reduce the memory footprint of the framebuffer. This would disable the above optimization and thus decrease the framerate.

Jawed said:
What's interesting about R520 is that 8xAA could well take less RAM than 6xAA on older cards:

And if it does, is one allowed to hope there might be a 12xAA as well (3 loops of 4, mebbe?)? :p And just for the record, I really haven't heard nor seen even the merest whisper or hint on what they've done in this area that I would call even semi-reliable.

I know that with R300/R420 the die used for the on-chip Heir-Z, su the quantity of space it had directly scales with the number of quads. This may be the same with NV4x, so with the extra two quads on G70 there is even more on-chip space for ZCULL.

Jawed said:
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21639

But, in general, R420 does seem better than NV40 at resolutions greater than 1600x1200. It's just that G70 is in a different league.

Jawed

That's what I was angling at, that the R420 outperforms NV40 at high resolutions. Obviously no one's expecting a X800/850 to outperform a G70-based board at high resolutions.

I'm definitely hoping for something really new, AA-wise, from R520. NVIDIA has never been much of a leader when it comes to good, across-the-board anti-aliasing.

Good performance at high reslolutions tends to be a tradition with Ati and I think companies like to try and keep their traditions alive if possible.

I have to confess that I am not one of these people who has to have high AA in games, I find I only notice it when stopping and staring which I don't often do. When it comes to comparing Ati to nvidia you have to look at web sites with their 400% mag pictures, the mere fact that they often blow up edges to this level I think tells you something. The only AA I have been impressed with is the nvidia AA for chainlink fences etc which makes a nice obvious improvement. I must say I cannot stick crap AF though, the more of that the better.

Personally I think it's time we turned away from more and more AA and instead insisted upon more special effects. I'd rather have HDR ( done properly ) with no AA than no HDR with loads of AA. Far Cry's HDR was not perfect but you could see the potential, say for a mutant to be hiding in a darker part of the room while being hidden by a shaft of light ( as a made up example) . This far better for game play than some nice smooth edges IMO.

We're all different though on what we want though

dizietsma said:
Personally I think it's time we turned away from more and more AA and instead insisted upon more special effects. I'd rather have HDR ( done properly ) with no AA than no HDR with loads of AA. Far Cry's HDR was not perfect but you could see the potential, say for a mutant to be hiding in a darker part of the room while being hidden by a shaft of light ( as a made up example) . This far better for game play than some nice smooth edges IMO.

What you're suggesting is largely up to developers. I'm not disagreeing with you, though after the past five years I'm not about to step back from good AA in the games I play.

I seriously enjoy my AA and even more so my AF. To me, AF is one of the single greatest image quality improvments possible, the massive IQ I notice going to 8xAF or higher is very impressive to me, and I do love it. AA also is great when playing lots of online games with lots of jaggies when scoping (CS:S when awping for example).

AVIVO is going to ROCK for me. Not only will I be buying one of these cards (mid range X1600 most likely) for my HTPC system, but also maybe a high end one or two for my LAN and main rigs. Plus, this may finally give me an easy solution on doing HTPC systems (actually my current biggest market) for my small shop. The general public here is really starting to love the added features of having an HTPC.

dizietsma said:
Avivo sounds(??) and looks similar to Intels brandname VIIV to me. Do you think that is a piggybanking of brandnames or just something in my mind consdiering what it does?
Personally, I think Sony's VAIO (vie-oh) is the catchiest acronym. But AVIVO is probably pronounced ah-vee-vo, while VIIV is vie-v. AFAIK.

ATI said:
For example, the new ATI products have clock speeds around 50 per cent higher than products manufactured on older processes.
This is an eye-opener, considering ATI's hit 500MHz with quite a few previous cores.

Aivansama said:
Choice is bad? Must make a note of that.
Actually, studies show that too much choice intimidates consumers. The IHV's naming schemes don't help in the confusion department, either. The "help!" threads in other video forums is evidence of both.

Rys said:
Which means the last remaining secret looks destined to stay that way until launch :devilish:
What's the British euphemism for "incorrigible tease?" ;)

Dave Baumann said:
There is actually a chance they might gloss over it at launch.
Great, now I get to speculate whether that means the drivers aren't quite ready yet, or R520 has other, more attention-grabbing features.

Rys, those are the same coolers found on X800s and X850s, no? Reviews said neither was especially quiet, IIRC. I hope they made 'em quieter, to match the GTX's. That single-slot cooler's tiny fan:heatsink area doesn't inspire confidence, though.

Pete said:
Rys, those are the same coolers found on X800s and X850s, no? Reviews said neither was especially quiet, IIRC. I hope they made 'em quieter, to match the GTX's. That single-slot cooler's tiny fan:heatsink area doesn't inspire confidence, though.
Same style, but not quite identical. The back of the XL gives you the most clues (IMHO, just speculating like everyone else) as to where the biggest changes are.

Whoops, K, I meant to write "vie-ve." Actually, I should have just said what you did. :)

Ah, good point, Rys. I'll take a closer look.

Jawed said:

Thanks Jawed. I can see at 1600x1200x6x16 512MB helps drastically. But I think 1600x1200x4x8 which has identical scores is good enough for me and I'd rather go for higher FPS than higher IQ at that point.

I just agree with Anand when he says that developers aren't going to push the textures higher to need 512MB for a long time. So if you dont want 1600x1200x6x16 is 512MB really going to help you between now and until the end of 2006?

The reason why I'm asking is it looks like the 7800GTX is going to come out ahead of the 1800XL. The only thing the ati part has going for it is the extra 512MB. I am trying to weight the value of the additional 256MB.

Junkstyle said:
The reason why I'm asking is it looks like the 7800GTX is going to come out ahead of the 1800XL.

I'm afraid to ask how you came to that conclusion. . .

Jawed said:
512MB helps HL-2:

http://www.beyond3d.com/reviews/sapphire/512/index.php?p=12

even at only 1600x1200 6xAA.

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showpost.php?p=562592&postcount=1425

Though I should caution that I haven't got a conclusive description of the memory footprint of either R420 AA or R520 AA.

Jawed

For HL2 and all the multitude of alpha test textures I'd rather enable on a R520 whatever adaptive AA they have in store (with 4x sparsed) than "just" 6x or 8x plain MSAA. What good does it do me if I have a great antialiased poly edges/intersections and a large proportion of alpha test textures just flickers along in HL2?

geo said:
I'm afraid to ask how you came to that conclusion. . .

No you are not, or else you wouldn't have asked. :LOL:

I hope yields are astronaumical (spelling?), because then my plan will come into fruition. :devilish: (ie: purchasing one (assuming it's better than a 7800)).

Honestly though, I'm not to thrilled about AVIVO. It's just not doing it for me. I'm more interested in those features built into the motherboard, so you don't have to worry about upgrading your graphics cards and those side effects.

Back