Anand has the details about r520,rv530,rv515

If it was about "winning" anything with that kind of stuff I'd be rich by now heh :rolleyes:

Yes but 7800 is a 24/16ROP design correct? They make it sound like it's all 24 all around.

I know they are huge, but they've really been kicking everyone's butts on making relatively reliable R520 info public of late.

Karma Police said:
It says the R520 is a 16-pipe, 16-shader chip.

What's so special about the 16 shaders? Isn't that what the X800XT has?

the shader performance per pipe/per clock is most likely higher than on a x800xt

Seems on im the road to be correct about the ATI pricing. ;) $600 for the XT. Just wow. If that Pro isnt handling the GTX, ATI has failed.

swaaye said:
Yes but 7800 is a 24/16ROP design correct? They make it sound like it's all 24 all around.

Let's not start that one again shall we?

a) It's common ground between both IHVs that we don't need nowadays more than 16 ROPs.
b) G70 is still a 6 quad design.

600Mhz, $599 MSRP? *sigh* XT *and* XLs have Dual-Slot designs, most likely, according to AT? Errr... Not exactly impressive. Unless there are things we are missing per-pipeline, ATI is in a great position to lose this round.
The RV530 and RV515 don't look bad on the other hand, but that depends entirely on their MSRP.

Uttar

Uttar said:
The RV530 and RV515 don't look bad on the other hand, but that depends entirely on their MSRP.
Assuming they are reasonable price thats where the profits should be coming from.

Taiwan's sources suggest NV's GF7600 is a 16X1@500MHz monster, I'm really hope RV515/530 has a chance against it so the competition will be back.

I think the pricing is nothing too unexpected; ATI probably has to sell at the highest margins possible to start in order to start making up for lost time. Still, if the XT and XL aren't the GTX beaters they *should* be, those prices are going to either come down pretty quick or ATI is going to ride out the rest of what's already been a not too great gen for them with reduced sales.

Also, should the XT and the XL not be better than the GTX, another negative aspect is going to be the dual-slot cooling vsa relatively cool and quiet single slot solution in GTX.

So, for ATI's sake I'm hoping R520 is a monster.

rwolf said:
Takes a lot of money to design and build these suckers.
Not much more then it has for the last couple years, plus they've moved to 90nm which means they get more per wafer. Don't kid yourself, they still make a good chunk of money per card sold and yet the prices keep increasing every year. Consider the 9700 Pro (then high end) went for $400, now the high end is $600. That's a $200/33% increase in approximately three years time.

xbdestroya said:
Also, should the XT and the XL not be better than the GTX, another negative aspect is going to be the dual-slot cooling vsa relatively cool and quiet single slot solution in GTX.

I'm quite certain they will be as fast or faster. It's looking like the Pro will score around 7k, the XL 7700 and the XT 8700. I think prices will have to lower to compete against the 7800 GT and GTX though, considering you can get them between $400 and $500.

Nv500 said:
Taiwan's sources suggest NV's GF7600 is a 16X1@500MHz monster, I'm really hope RV515/530 has a chance against it so the competition will be back.

that would give the 7600 the about the same fillrate\pixelshading performance as the 7800gt - i cant see the only difference being memory bandwidth, the 7600 is most likey a 12 pipe card IMO.

Anandtech said:
First of all, ATI's traditional core design can do "more" per clock cycle (at least on the R420 design) than NVIDIA.

Did i miss something this last year, i thought Nvidia's nv4x could do more per clock than ati, hence the lower clock on their cards with competitive performance.

Back