Anand has the details about r520,rv530,rv515

Ady said:
It seems the AIB Partners only produce a sticker, box and some marketing for the top end models. Some of them bring out their own models (toxic etc.) later on, but not at first.

not entirely true, at least it didnt use to be. I know going back a few years comapanies like visiontek (when they were an Nvidia partner) use to have their own types of adhesive to reduce heat and improve the cards running temperature. But really anymore there isnt too much of a difference, some manufacturers do infact ask for certain types of cores, such as the Sapphire GTO2s with the ability to softmod to a 16pipe X850XT and the powercolor X800GT which were all using R480s causing them to be superb overclockers. As far as differences to the PCB, that i believe is totally optional, Vivo, dual DVI, etc are all options. And of course they can use custom heatsink designs, such as HIS over the last couple years, and the sapphire liquid metal heatsink (wonder if that will resurface?). Hardware wise though there are some small differences, some companies use faster rated memory stock as well. (X800XTs with 1.6ns compared to 2.0ns). So they do infact do more then created a box and sticker and send it off.

So how do RV530 and R520 differ, architecturally?

256bit-vs-512-bit ring bus - sounds plausible. We've also seen information suggesting that an RV530 pipeline has more in common with R580 than R520. Any new news on this front? It's the most interesting of the forthcoming releases, IMHO.

MuFu said:

256bit-vs-512-bit ring bus - sounds plausible. We've also seen information suggesting that an RV530 pipeline has more in common with R580 than R520. Any new news on this front? It's the most interesting of the forthcoming releases, IMHO.

I suppose most of those details will be revealed by the engineers at ATI's Tech Day (next week, no?).

kemosabe said:
Is my Chinese getting rusty or is HKEPC claiming that ATI is desperately trying to squeeze a 24-pipe X1800XT PE out of TSMC?

That's what babelfish claims, at least. The Rumor That Ate Taipei continues its devastation.

MuFu said:

I think the discussion in the older locked thread about what 16-1-3-1 et al mean gives most the RV530 game away in terms of fragment unit config. Pair with Avivo, ring-bus chatter and the hints on orthogonal ROPs and most of it's been gone over at some point or another.

Which means the last remaining secret looks destined to stay that way until launch :devilish:

Reactions: Geo
martrox said:
The only loosers here will be those that paid for the GTX's when they first came out - and they knew that at the time! Ask any here that paid $500+ for their GTX's if they are unhappy with their purchase.......it's just the nature of this business, and we all know it.

Wow you were doing pretty well here up to this point. I paid $500 for my GTX two months ago and have been able to play BF2, F.E.A.R, HL2 and WoW on it since then. Why, oh why would I be unhappy that I have been able to play the latest games on the fastest hardware for three months?

Sorry for the rant but this kind of logic is just completely twisted IMO. Anybody who bought a GTX at launch and actually USED will surely have enjoyed their purchase. The only possible losers here would be those that waited for the R520 should it not be that impressive. If it is impressive, everybody wins. I got to max out my games for three months, and I can now sell my GTX and get something even faster if it's compelling enough :)

trinibwoy said:
Wow you were doing pretty well here up to this point. I paid $500 for my GTX two months ago and have been able to play BF2, F.E.A.R, HL2 and WoW on it since then. Why, oh why would I be unhappy that I have been able to play the latest games on the fastest hardware for three months?
Nothing wrong with that at all, but Martrox was pointing out that you knew in advance of making your purchase that that's what you were getting and you knew you were paying a premium for it. :)

digitalwanderer said:
Nothing wrong with that at all, but Martrox was pointing out that you knew in advance of making your purchase that that's what you were getting and you knew you were paying a premium for it. :)

A premium compared to what? At that time $500 for a GTX+BF2 was better bang for the buck than most other high end solutions. Not to mention the intrinsic value in my ability to use the hardware instead of "waiting" for several months.

Edit: Not to mention that the purchase was also funded by the $250 I got from selling a GT :LOL: Upgrading from a GTX to an XT should be even "cheaper".

Last edited by a moderator:
RussSchultz said:
Sweet. I need something that draws a white line down the middle of my screen.

(I couldn't see what the lady on the phone talking was supposed to demonstrate)

Time for glasses, Russ. :LOL: The right side of the screenie is signficantly less blocky and banded. The line separating them is just slightly to the right (our right) of the part in her hair.

Back