AMD: Zen 3 Announced [2020-10-08]

Are they? the 5900x in my country is 125€ more expensive than the 5800X. I think the 5800X may not be the sweespot in value but I think is the best choice if you don't want to break the bank and have a CPU that will last until the mid of the decade (if not more).
Yeah, in South Africa the 5900X is $163 more than the 5800X and the 5800X is $209 more than the 5600x.

The 5950X is a whopping $393 over the 5900X at the current exchange rate ($1=R15.25)

I went with the 5800X because it has 8 cores(16 threads) like the consoles and because at the end of the day PC parts in SA costs a crap load more than they would if I lived in the US.

I literally paid $2242 which is way more than I would have if I bought the same in the US.

I had a look for the same parts in the US and could have bought all for $1898 and a difference of $344 or R5246 in South Africa. With that money I would have bought a 5950X.

In October the Exchange rate was R16.25 so it could have been worse.

*Edit* Typos galore fixed.

Last edited:
Yeah, in South Africa the 5900X is $163 more for the 5800X and the 5800X is $209 more than the 5600x.

The 5950X is a whopping $393 over the 5900X at the current exchange rate ($1=R15.25)

I went with the 5800X because it has 8 cores(16 threads) like the consoles and because at the end of the day PC parts in SA costs a crap load more than they would if I lived in the US.

I literally paid $2242 which is way more than I would have if I bought the same in the US.

I had a look for the same parts in the US and could have bought all for $1898 and a difference of $344 or R5246 in South Africa. Which that money I would have bought a 5950X.

Holy shit. :oops:

I mean I don't disagree with @Kaotik, I think the 5800X value is not the greatest, although IMO especially if you compare it with a 5600X, I think is better priced against a 5900X.

I will never complain about $->€ price conversion again.

Holy shit. :oops:

I mean I don't disagree with @Kaotik, I think the 5800X value is not the greatest, although IMO especially if you compare it with a 5600X, I think is better priced against a 5900X.

I will never complain about $->€ price conversion again.
Yeah, I really thought about buying the 5600X especially because of the performance I saw in most benchmarks however at the end I thought that the CPU needs to last me 7 years or more like my current 4790K. It has 8 cores like the consoles so that sold me. 12 cores of the 5900X would be nice but the performance difference in games and software benchmarks doesn't do enough to sell if for me. The 5800X is good enough imo.

The CPU availability sucks, too ;)
In Finland our biggest player is getting shipments this month, but their next is unknown. Couple others quote dates from 15.12 to as far as 13.1.2021 for next shipments.

I'm speechless. I don't see a sense to pay this much for maybe a few months of a "headstart". It's a great CPU, but this ...
Is money worthless now? Too much around? Lockdown driving people insane? :-|

I feel like I'm doing something wrong here:
When I enable Precision Boost Overdrive profile in Ryzen Master it'll happily sit at ~4520Mhz all cores for a 10min Cinebench r23 multi-core run.

But Single Core it seems to be more or less idling the 2 'best cores' down in the 2-3.5Ghz range except brief spurts up over 4 which only seem to kick in on certain tiles of the render.

I feel like I'm doing something wrong here:
When I enable Precision Boost Overdrive profile in Ryzen Master it'll happily sit at ~4520Mhz all cores for a 10min Cinebench r23 multi-core run.

But Single Core it seems to be more or less idling the 2 'best cores' down in the 2-3.5Ghz range except brief spurts up over 4 which only seem to kick in on certain tiles of the render.

What matters is the score, as monitoring software is not quick enough to catch opportunistic boost.

I've been tweaking my 5800x for about a week now. PBO even with Curve Optimizer at -10 (30-50mv) will still run 1.38-1.45v in games over a sustained session to hit 4.85GHz on one or two threads. This is with stock power limits and LLC on the lowest setting. All core stress tests were in the 4.4-4.5GHz range ~1.325v.

I settled on a manual overclock of 4.6GHz at 1.26v and it's 100% stable. I lost 250mhz of boost but I dropped temps by 10-20C and power use by at least 10-20W. The stock voltages were even worse without the PBO2 undervolt. Kinda scares me coming from Intel. Maybe this is the new normal but I don't see why I should pick stock PB or PBO2 over the manual OC.

Last edited:
What matters is the score, as monitoring software is not quick enough to catch opportunistic boost.
Therein lies the concern, I'm getting lower scores single-thread.

I guess I'll just leave things on Default until proper PBO2 support is out.

Therein lies the concern, I'm getting lower scores single-thread.

I guess I'll just leave things on Default until proper PBO2 support is out.
I'd try manual 4.5 or 4.6 around 1.25v. I'm stable at 4.6GHz 1.2625v. Better than stock in all core and almost as good in single thread, and runs much cooler.

So I went ahead today and ordered:

Asus Rog Crosshair VIII Hero X570
AMD 5800X
4x8GB RAM CL16 3600MHz
1TB Samsung 980 Pro
Fractal Define 7 Dark Tempered Glass Chassis
Fractal S36 Liquid CPU cooler
Coolermaster V1000 PSU
Got my Motherboard and PSU however the rest is waiting for the memory to arrive, which is apparently mid December.

I also have my PS5 that's due this week or next. :runaway:

Yeah I ordered for all to be sent simultaneously to avoid that.
Don't like having bits sitting around singing their siren songs of 'use me' when you can't actually because key other bits are missing.

I've been tweaking my 5800x for about a week now. PBO even with Curve Optimizer at -10 (30-50mv) will still run 1.38-1.45v in games over a sustained session to hit 4.85GHz on one or two threads. This is with stock power limits and LLC on the lowest setting. All core stress tests were in the 4.4-4.5GHz range ~1.325v.

I settled on a manual overclock of 4.6GHz at 1.26v and it's 100% stable. I lost 250mhz of boost but I dropped temps by 10-20C and power use by at least 10-20W. The stock voltages were even worse without the PBO2 undervolt. Kinda scares me coming from Intel. Maybe this is the new normal but I don't see why I should pick stock PB or PBO2 over the manual OC.

My 5800x is very similar, apparently this is pretty normal and even Anandtech found the 5800x to reach 90C in testing much easier than any other Zen 3.

I'm waiting on the adaptive undervolting that AMD promise to deliver via a BIOS update next year. For now, since it's summer here and I don't have AC, I'm running in Eco mode for an effective 5700x. This has lowered peak temps by 15-20c and only lowers performance when all cores are maxed out.

Like I said I plan to custom undervolt at a later date. In Ryzen master I can undervolt to 1.25v max and still maintain 4.6GHz all cores in Prime 95, but I can't reproduce this in the BIOS with current settings... I haven't overclocked for 10 years so it could also be my lack of experience.

My 5800x is very similar, apparently this is pretty normal and even Anandtech found the 5800x to reach 90C in testing much easier than any other Zen 3.

I'm waiting on the adaptive undervolting that AMD promise to deliver via a BIOS update next year. For now, since it's summer here and I don't have AC, I'm running in Eco mode for an effective 5700x. This has lowered peak temps by 15-20c and only lowers performance when all cores are maxed out.

Like I said I plan to custom undervolt at a later date. In Ryzen master I can undervolt to 1.25v max and still maintain 4.6GHz all cores in Prime 95, but I can't reproduce this in the BIOS with current settings... I haven't overclocked for 10 years so it could also be my lack of experience.
The beta bios on my x570 Aorus Elite (taken down since) has the Curve Optimizer undervolt option. I was able to do -10 all core before instability. I still prefer the manual OC, running 4.7GHz at 1.288v now. Still cooler than boost w/undervolt and with CPPC disabled I gained even more performance in light-medium threaded workloads.

The BIOS option for the equivalent Ryzen Master manual OC should in in "AMD Overclocking - Manual OC"

The beta bios on my x570 Aorus Elite (taken down since) has the Curve Optimizer undervolt option. I was able to do -10 all core before instability. I still prefer the manual OC, running 4.7GHz at 1.288v now. Still cooler than boost w/undervolt and with CPPC disabled I gained even more performance in light-medium threaded workloads.

The BIOS option for the equivalent Ryzen Master manual OC should in in "AMD Overclocking - Manual OC"

Thanks, I'll check it out when I get the chance. I found overclocking guides a bit vague for what I needed to know and most of it was zen 2 related or older.

I'm running the latest beta BIOS as of 2 weeks ago on my Asus B550f gaming wifi. I tried setting manual 4.6GHz all cores and 1.275v which worked fine with prime 95 when set with Ryzen master, but had a crash under prime 95 when setting it in BIOS...

Back