AMD: Zen 2 (Ryzen/Threadripper 3000?, Epyc 8000?) Speculation, Rumours and Discussion

Discussion in 'PC Industry' started by ToTTenTranz, Oct 8, 2018.

1. xEx

xEx
    Regular Newcomer

I was a little disappointed cuz there was no announcement rather than "its real and performs well" We will have to wait to see how well but it seems that for 2020 AMD and Intel will be fighting as equals. But We will see after that what will happen with Jim and Raya designs I cant imagine what someone like Jim would do with infinite resources and budged but I do think AMD approached splinting the CPU was better than Intels stacking.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1385...yzen2000?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

No APUs apparently too much latency(?) or maybe TDP? I was hopping to see an APU of Zen2 + Navi or maybe a 1CCXZen2+Navi on one die and HBM on the other... Anyways I just hope they lunch in April so I can get one. I pretty sure my F350 strix will get PCI4 support and if the rumors are true I can wait to have my 8core 5GHz CPU :D

PD: So Adored was(at least half(?)) right, what a time to be alive.

2. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

The IO offered by EPYC isn't 4x a Summit Ridge die, so a combined uncore would likely skip IO interfaces that the socket wouldn't support and combine control blocks that some of the dies turn off if mounted in an MCM.
    EPYC seems like it might use half of the total amount of ports, whereas an IO die for one desktop CPU needs 1:1 match the socket featureset.

Could be a delay in getting Navi ready for that kind of architecture, or issues with size or connectivity. The APU chiplet rumor that also had the chiplet be part of multiple discrete GPU products was one of the harder ones to reconcile.
    Where would the GDDR interface go for both APU and discrete? What's the power and manufacturing cost to splitting a high-bandwidth client like the GPU off from an on-die controller, or what's the area and die cost if the GPU has an inactive GDDR interface when mounted along with a CPU?

Or somewhat less? I think he released a later video disavowing the IO die.

3. xEx

xEx
    Regular Newcomer

Its also possible that current MoBos wouldn't be ready for it and they need new specs and priories compatibility.

I do think he got access to early info and targets so his sources were real.

4. Rootax

Regular Newcomer

I'm really interested in this. I believe by the end of the year I'll upgrade my 5820k@4.2ghz, So I'm looking at Zen2 based threadripper, or the next HEDT Intel cpus.. If Zen2 really improve single thread performances, a jump to AMD is not out of the question...