AMD: Volcanic Islands R1100/1200 (8***/9*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

look at how smooth that r290x line is and then look at that cross fire line.

I'd rather they just put out a bigger 290x more rops / shaders / bandwidth

What about the blue line? That's 780x2.
Also AMD have made a huge improvement over the last 1+1/2 years, it should only get better from here.
tr-7990.gif
^That is what it used to be like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aesthetically the card looks good, much better than the cheap looking 7990;
Although the length of the water tubes seems cause for concern

This way this card will throttle like crazy, even on the uber mode (just like 290x), that if there is even an uber mode.

Don't underestimate the watercooling ;)

edit:
While obviously not exactly the same, using Asetek watercooling too, ASUS Ares II draws 431 wattts peak under gaming, and stays under 53C under load, under 60C load when OC'd

130 gigapixels/s?, and I thought the V5 6000 was bad ass.

Can we end up with one terapixel/s of fillrate eventually?, on a GPU with memory on interposer.

Not the first time they go over the limit of officially allowed power through PCI Express powerplugs

I guess it is safe if you use real connectors from the PSU, which should be available anyway if you buy a modern high power one.

Else with more mundane cards we're free to violate things all the way, need two six-pin?, use a doubler, or some molex adapter. Just check the wires don't melt lol. Fine anyway for stuff that says WE DECLINE ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR HORRIBLE EVENTS DUE TO USE IN NUCLEAR REACTORS, SURGERY OPERATION ROOMS, NAVAL AIRCRAFT CARRIERS etc.

I'm not familiar with the hybrid cooler implementations, so I'm curious if there's any practicality to a staged fan/pump speed curve.
The deepest idle could be a full shutoff of the fan and pump, while the lower power dissipation range could be fan-only before turning on the water pump.

I'd love just a 290x with a good water block on it like that.

Personnally, i think its better to buy a good custom watercooling instead. On the long run, it cost you less, even with full cover waterblock ( i use EK on my gpu's in general ).

- Performance difference between custom and closed loop like thoses are reallly big ( specially if you OC ).. ( with a single gpu + CPU you can aim at a 5-7°C difference with ambient air on full load )

- You can reuse parts for your upgrades: ( Pump, Rads, reservoir etc ). ( when you have a good system, just rebuy tubing and waterblock when you upgrade )

- If something fail or is damaged ( pump, radiator etc ), you can change this part or even re install the standard cooling of the gpu for continue use it. ( no need to RMA all ).

Now for similar CPU watercooling system, i find them really good if you want set them at low rpm fans, silent mode fixed, for system who are not overclocked for peoples who just want better performance, silence of stock cooling and who can keep 1 year without degrading and become loud.

I have install some system for friends with I7 4930k with the intel stock 2011 cooling ( if you remember Intel was sold them without fans but with a h2o sealed system ) or Corsairs ones.. i have change the fans for a good performance but silent fans, set it on low rpm.. you get a nice silent system without fans throttling for the price of a good air cooling system.

---------------

Back to topic, its nice they have too work on the look of the cooler. It look a little bit like the XFX ones, ( hence why i was not sure the photo's posted was not a fake the first time i have seen them ).

Last edited by a moderator:
I've put around 800W to my card and it also only has two 8 pin connectors.
800? :oops:

Gah, I assume liquid nitrogen cooling then or surely your voltage regs would blow to hell from such a load... Out of curiosity, what vcore was that at?

Back