AMD: Volcanic Islands R1100/1200 (8***/9*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

With Maxwell getting to be released soon, is there anything at all know about upcoming silicon at AMD?

Well i will not say that: " Maxwell " architecture will be released soon, well yes, one chip based on it will be, with maybe some variant on low end ( 740 etc )... But thats all... its not like if Nvidia was going to release a complete range of GPU's ( High end to low ) using Maxwell. I dont think it will be really indicative of Maxwell architecture and performance ( not in this state and with thoses spec ).. I cant even tell if the SM configuration will be the same on the high end maxwell. They could have do radical change ( including the SP count / SM and arrangement of the SM ) when decided to use 28nm specifically for this chip.

I dont think AMD is really in the urgence for release anything before 20nm mass production. AMD had decided to use VI on R9 290, and on middle range.. nvidia decided to do an hybrid Maxwell on 28nm for low chip. ( surely because it was easy to backport it on 28nm, way more easy of an high end chip )..

But is the high end maxwell will be too on 28nm ( half 2014 ) ?, and they was just need this time for finish to backport it in 28nm ? or they dont want try do it and wait 20nm for it ...

Last edited by a moderator:
AMD can barely meet the market demand for its current offerings, so for the time being their hands are full enough and Hawaii pretty much maxed out what the 28nm process could provide. What they should focus more on now is the APU product line.

R7 260X has TrueAudio
R7 265 does not support TrueAudio.

LOL. Idiotism.

It's certainly less than ideal to say the least. Would be nice if AMD would introduce a top to bottom range of Hawaii GPU's rather than this mix of Hawaii and Southern Islands. What chance does TrueAudio have if it's only suported in a couple GPU's of the "current" product line up.

There's been a suggestion that the 265's release is paving the way for another upcoming AMD release -perhaps a 275 based on Hawaii? Not that it would improve the situation much but at least it would put TrueAudio into another broad performance segment.

So, Hawaii is half-rate DP. 2.6 TFLOPs DP on FirePro W9100.
Where did you get it's really half? You'd think they'd say something like "over 2 TFlops DP" if that's the case. The "> 1.5 times higher than K6000" also would point at a number just above 2 TFlops. OTOH maybe it can't sustain the high clocks needed for half rate due to power restrictions which is why it would end up with something like a 1:2.5 rate...

edit: I meant to say "over 2.5 TFlops DP" really. But anyway Dave confirmed the half rate (which is quite surprising imho).

Last edited by a moderator:
Since this wasn't posted here yet:
Bj6qZSpCMAAckPx.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/AMDRadeon/status/449984364403634176/photo/1

Rumored name R9 295X2, depending on rumor 2x Hawaii XT or 2x Hawaii Pro (http://translate.google.com/transla...-kretsar-kan-lanseras-redan-den-8e-april.html mentions XT but gives Pro's shader counts)

Back