AMD: Southern Islands (7*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by UniversalTruth, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Pressure

Veteran

Well, it appears Crossfire works in Windows 8 on the new Mac Pro.

So you can actually game on it ;)

2. DavidGraham

Veteran

In GDC, Avalanche studio did a presentation focusing on GCN hardware in next gen, these are some of the most notable points:

www.humus.name/Articles/Persson_LowlevelShaderOptimization.pdf

3. CarstenS

Legend Subscriber

Holy Thread-resurrection Batman - but we didn't seem to have a product/review thread for Tahiti.

Happy Birthday, AMD Radeon HD 7970. So sad, that the driver team dropped you to legacy driver support in june, but you're still one of the best aged graphics chips of all time and now debut as a "teenager". Better still: Your rather rare 6 GByte variant even runs Cyberpunk 2077. Debut of compute-oriented throughput machines aka GCN which can still be identified in RDNA2 and CDNA2 ten years later. What a chip.

edit:
    Were you already with AMD at the time? Or was that your unbiased, private opinion?

#4743 CarstenS, Dec 22, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
    Pete, fellix, pjbliverpool and 10 others like this.
  4. Jawed

Legend

Yay nice resurrection. I love these old threads.

What was to become HBM:

https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/1516357/

I guess. But at the time I thought it was for a console.

Of course GCN did eventually become part of some consoles :)

CarstenS and Lightman like this.
  5. BrynS

Regular

I built a new PC for my young nephews a few months ago and to keep costs down amidst the craziness of the consumer GPU market over the past 18 months I installed a Radeon R280 (refreshed 7950) I bought in 2014. For 1080p gaming it handles everything they want to play off Steam. Temperatures at load are about 25 degrees less than the GTX 980 Ti in my system.

The new Radeon control panel is a complete breath of fresh air versus the Nvidia Control Panel / GeForce Experience (seriously why does it take 5 seconds to toggle one setting change in the NV CP!) as well. Was really impressed by the performance and overall package for an architecture released in late 2011.