AMD: Speculation, Rumors, and Discussion (Archive)

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by iMacmatician, Mar 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lanek

Veteran

This will be like saying Samsung forces are in Texas, because their hold down there their biggest RD developpement team and the bigger Fabric ( world record on this one, its just the bigger Fabs never done ( all word enterprise and workers counted )... Maybe Samsung is just an Texan enterprise after al..... ( ok im a bit drunk so )

This said, the question of investment and forces ( mean peoples ) with AMD. As im realy close to Asia in heart ( my wife ), i have look with a lot of interest this photo... with a differentt regard maybe ...

#3181 lanek, Jun 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  2. el etro

Newcomer

Is still disappointing if only manages to match the 390. RX480 is meant to compete with GP106 cards, 28nm cards are all very close to the end of life.

Tim likes this.
  3. pharma

Veteran Regular

Heinrich04 and spworley like this.
  4. SimBy

Regular Newcomer

Isn't GP106 pretty much 50% of GP104. Should be right around RX480.

5. Razor1

Veteran

Depends on clocks though, but yeah should be around there. Also we dont' know if there will be a gtx 1060 ti, there is a big performance hole between the gtx 980 performance level and the gtx 1070.....

pharma likes this.
  6. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

You're disappointed in a card that hasn't been released because it's apparently not competing with a card that doesn't even exist yet?

xpea, homerdog, fuboi and 7 others like this.
  7. Entropy

Veteran

Not to mention that when you compare to AMD 390x, the rx480 is a bit ahead in three, a bit behind in two, and roughly equal in two subtests, so an arguably more valid statement would be that the RX 480 is slightly ahead of the 390x. Of course, there is no mention of the actual clocks of the tested cards, differences between driver versions, throttling over time, et cetera.

This thread reveals far more about forum posters than about the RX480.

Malo and BRiT like this.
  8. Esrever

Regular Newcomer

The speculation thread was better for this.

9. Gipsel

Veteran

That's a bad translation. They write that Vega 11 may be one of the last chips of the initial wave of 14/16nm GPUs (including both AMD and nV). That implies a bit the expectation of a refresh on the same process in the future.

pharma likes this.
  10. kalelovil

Regular

That article's Vega details are all just guesses (as they admit). They have no new sources.

CarstenS likes this.
  11. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

What's the basis for that October date for Vega 10?

12. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

Alignment of chicken bones thrown to the altar on the night of the full moon.

Every Vega speculation now is just wishful thinking. AMD does not have high end and enthusiast offerings for 14nm launch, so rumors fly high from many people who wish to wait less for cards that are more in line with their expectations.

Kej, pharma and Grall like this.
  13. CSI PC

Veteran Newcomer

Where are you getting the PCIe P100 has no FP16 support?
    This is meant to be the PCIe version of the NVLink P100, it is still GP100 and similar tier Tesla product.

Edit:
    Does support FP32/FP16 mixed precision according to Nvidia spec the PCIe model is same as the Nvlink version apart from clocks/HBM2/NVlink.
    I put more details here: https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/...mors-and-discussion.57662/page-6#post-1926135
    Thanks

#3193 CSI PC, Jun 25, 2016
  14. CSI PC

Veteran Newcomer

I thought AMD presented the S9300 X2 as their Deep Learning/training (along with other research segments) HPC product.
    I see this dropping down a tier with the big Vega replacing it as their top product, similar to what Nvidia did with the Tesla range when they released the P100.
    But it is not clear how they will be targetting double precision operation focused sciences and applications.
    I thought Greenland (good point) was merged/replaced with Vega, so it will be interesting what AMD is going to do as Fiji-Tonga so far was about FP32/FP16.
    So will Big Vega be more of a compromise-balanced FP64/FP32-FP16 mixed precision like the P100, or will they again have a more dedicated double precision operation card updated-based from S9170 (this a mix of Tahiti and Hawaii?) and its 1/2 FP64 design.
    Thanks

#3194 CSI PC, Jun 25, 2016
  15. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Do you have actual data to back this up?
    I know PCIe is shared with everything, but even the NVIDIAs new SLI HB bridges give you only 2GB/s bandwidth, which is far cry from PCIes bandwidth

16. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

That's quite a stretch from one benchmark, that the card would be slower than 290 (hint: it's not)
    Also, most if not all of the random leakers don't actually have the press driver with all the bells and whistles for Polaris

Lightman likes this.
  17. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

Dunno if that's any indication, but in the GPU-z screen it says "GPU power draw", not "card power draw".

Lightman likes this.
  18. Sinistar

Sinistar I LIVE
    Regular Subscriber

Does any other AMD card have a power draw sensor? I ask because my card does not report it in GPU-Z.
    upload_2016-6-25_8-59-47.png

19. Alessio1989

Regular Newcomer

http://twvideo01.ubm-us.net/o1/vault/gdc2016/Presentations/Juha_Sjoholm_DX12_Explicit_Multi_GPU.pdf

http://gpuopen.com/wp-content/uploa...ogramming_Model_and_Hardware_Capabilities.pdf

Here you can find some summary tables about typical VR memory costs per frame: http://alex.vlachos.com/graphics/Alex_Vlachos_Advanced_VR_Rendering_Performance_GDC2016.pdf

With some simple maths you can see, just only for frames buffers, how easily prohibitive can VR, HDR and 4K with in a high frame-rate scenario become...

Grall, pharma and Lightman like this.
  20. Lightman

Veteran Subscriber

My both r9 290X reported GPU power as a function of GPU IA and V. But as CarstenS noted it's separated GPU power and not whole card power.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.