AMD: Southern Islands (7*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

HD 6970 had a $349 MSRP? I dont think so. Maybe after a year of price drops on newegg...heck my brother just paid like $390 for one, albeit an factory overclocked supercooled type thing.

Sadly I dont think you'll see ATI being aggressive on card pricing anymore because I honestly think their profits have to support AMD's shit CPU division engineering, LOL.

Edit: according to Anandtech 6970 debuted at a $369 price point? Of course then it was slower than 580 and similar to 570 which determined the pricing. Now 7970 is above 580.

Just one more day. It's like the build upto a race start. All sorts of what if's but when the green flag drops, the bullshit stops.

I'm really just looking at 2560x1600 reviews for Skyrim and BF3. Everything else is of minimal relevance.

Ditto. I am gonna have to go with the 3 GB version of whatever video cards I decide to get because I do see myself having 3 x 30" monitors this year. 2 for sure. But for the third have to convince the wife...

A bit surprised at the 549 pricetag, but 3GB is indeed a lot of GDDR5.

I do wonder though- if they could manage 450 for a 1.5GB version?

Ditto. I am gonna have to go with the 3 GB version of whatever video cards I decide to get because I do see myself having 3 x 30" monitors this year. 2 for sure. But for the third have to convince the wife...

Nice! I don't have the real estate for that. I do want to sit down at a 3x30 setup though. I'd imagine it takes a while to get used to.

Skyrim and other slower paced games are what I'd like to play on a setup like that. For fast paced, heavy action like BF3, even a 30inch feel like too much sometimes. As things get tense, I tend to move closer and closer to the screen.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Edit: according to Anandtech 6970 debuted at a $369 price point? Of course then it was slower than 580 and similar to 570 which determined the pricing. Now 7970 is above 580.

Yeah I missed 20$ and yep like I said 500-series meant that Cayman wasn't 499$ already.
I just don't like huge price hikes between gens. They justify the high price with it's ability to beat an old horse from the competition. you'r supposed to get more per buck with next gen.

HD 6970 had a $349 MSRP? I dont think so. Maybe after a year of price drops on newegg...heck my brother just paid like $390 for one, albeit an factory overclocked supercooled type thing.

Well, we now have this awkward situation where many of the graphics cards bundled with 3rd party coolers are actually cheaper than the ones with the default coolers.
It's not really a surprise though, since mid-high to top-end default coolers are advanced vapour chamber models, and the typical heatpipe+2 fans solution might be a lot cheaper.

Sadly I dont think you'll see ATI being aggressive on card pricing anymore because I honestly think their profits have to support AMD's shit CPU division engineering, LOL.
:rolleyes:
Last I heard, all Brazos and Llano solutions were a major success...

Yeah I missed 20$ and yep like I said 500-series meant that Cayman wasn't 499$ already.
I just don't like huge price hikes between gens. They justify the high price with it's ability to beat an old horse from the competition. you'r supposed to get more per buck with next gen.

Well if the competition comes along and is faster yet, you can be sure it will not be any cheaper. Ala GTX 580 $500 from debut, even though it was "supposed to get more for your buck new gen"...

Besides, you DO get more for your buck. That buck just happens to be 550.

Well if the competition comes along and is faster yet, you can be sure it will not be any cheaper. Ala GTX 580 $500 from debut, even though it was "supposed to get more for your buck new gen"...

Besides, you DO get more for your buck. That buck just happens to be 550.

580 was faster at the same price point than the 480.

I said per buck. 6970 at around 350$ should be at least as good value as 7970 at 550$ or in any case not far off. I'm curious to see how much 7950 is going to be. Hard to see it being under 399$ if 549$ for 7970 is true.

580 was faster at the same price point than the 480.

And 7970 will be faster at same (less) price point as 580.

I said per buck. 6970 at around 350$ should be at least as good value as 7970 at 550$ or in any case not far off. I'm curious to see how much 7950 is going to be. Hard to see it being under 399$ if 549$ for 7970 is true.

7950 wont be more expensive for same performance as 6970 I'm sure...though frankly they could justify it with new features.

A bit surprised at the 549 pricetag, but 3GB is indeed a lot of GDDR5.

I do wonder though- if they could manage 450 for a 1.5GB version?

I'm quite sure, that if there will be any 1.5GB 7900, it'll be 7950 version, not 7970

I think pricing will be determined by TSMC's volume on 28nm, to a large extent. AMD certainly isn't going to lower the price to the point that they can't match demand, because they would just lose money.

Until Catalyst is fixed I won't buy an AMD GPU, but I admit this is an amazing card (Tahiti).

Support for newly released games this year has been pretty horrible, having to wait months after release for a performance driver or bug fixes when Nvidia hasn't had the same problems for the most part is pretty infuriating, weather the fault lies with AMD or the developers not giving them code in time doesn't really matter, the main thing is that for newly released games Nvidia has been the better side to be on this year.

After playing pretty much every game ever, can someone please tell... what's wrong with AMD drivers?

I've had and still got cards from both companies ranging from TNT1, GF2/3/4, (2) 8800GTXs, 470, X800, X1900XT, X1950XTX, 4870x2.

Both have had their fair share of issues. In 10 years, £'000s on gfx cards alone in 20-30 different computer configs I see nothing better or worse in either driver set. Both have, on occasion, made me want to yank on my testicles, but both have, in the main, been just fine.

PS. I played through Rage with very few issues on just the initial hotfix driver (11.9?) and I only had to upgrade to that because my previous driver was 10.10. A whole year without having to change drivers is just fine by me.

Back