AMD: Southern Islands (7*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

Quite frankly, I find it very disturbing that large shops do not honor their NDAs. AMD should do something about this.

I actually like it. They are giving information to consumers based on actual retail cards before some silly hardware website does it using potentially cherry picked review samples.

Yep, very nice - they are the ones selling cards actually, even their name implies, they're targetting OC audience. I wonder how that'd make them react if - in a hypothetical case, not in this one with 7950 - they had to sell a model that's basically non-overclockable?

I understand though, that consumers like to get numbers finally on HD 7950.

Yeah, I guess they'd just withhold the info if that were the case. I wouldn't put it past them to do so, after all, they are a retailer looking to make money off of these things.

I'm not sure enthusiast level cards that exhaust all or most of the heat into the case is doing quiet PC gaming any favors. Sure you have a quieter GPU fan, but now your case fans have to work harder or you have to have more of them...or larger vents in order to keep your entire system at the same temps. All of which increase the noise your system makes.

Where I live I can hear a "silent" case fan spinning at 700 RPM. Multiples just increase noise across the board. When gaming it's always a choice for me between whether I want my GPU to be louder when gaming or my PC to be louder all the time or constantly muck about with case fan controls.

I've opted for the noise only when gaming solution. Hence I have airflow through the case at the minimum necessary to keep things at reasonable temps when at load. Passive and fanless PSU's FTW. Passively cooled overclocked 2500k CPU. And only 1 case fan and 1 HDD rack fan.

I've gotten the noise down low enough that I can hear the CCFLs that are used to light my room.

Someday maybe I'll get back into watercooling with the radiator located outside of the house. But that would be less about the noise than it would be removing heat from being dumped inside the room. Although it would certainly remove the noise the video card makes at load.

Regards,
SB

The main obstacle imo is that the default chassis fan control on most motherboards is severly lacking, to keep the noise down to a minimum both when not gaming and when gaming. Having to manually fiddle with the fan control isnt something that I would like either.

I currently use one 500rpm chassis fan as exhaust (for 6950 + i5-2500), so as AlphaWolf said it would mostly be an issue with the very top of the line / OC or multiple cards. Unless of course they continue to increase the max TDP for GPUs.

No, Sapphire is planning far higher clocked ones
This 6GiB :LOL: and >1300MHz SKU overview was probably fake.

At the moment it looks AMD limited 7970 to 1GHz and 7950 to 0.9GHz partner OC. The final DirectCU II could have only 1GHz, like Asus' slides said.

I for one would happily give up one slot for better/quieter cooling.

Indeed, I changed my cooler on the Radeon HD 4870 (on a Mac Pro here) and have the passive heat sink cooled by a single, low RPM 120mm fan. Of course, the case is well-ventilated due to its design.

But 3 slots?!

Indeed, I changed my cooler on the Radeon HD 4870 (on a Mac Pro here) and have the passive heat sink cooled by a single, low RPM 120mm fan. Of course, the case is well-ventilated due to its design.

But 3 slots?!

Why are you making such a big fuss about it now? There was 3 slot DCII HD6950, HD6970, GTX570 and GTX580 last gen but I don't recall seeing such fuss about those - in fact they were largely popular due efficient and silent cooling

This 6GiB :LOL: and >1300MHz SKU overview was probably fake.

At the moment it looks AMD limited 7970 to 1GHz and 7950 to 0.9GHz partner OC. The final DirectCU II could have only 1GHz, like Asus' slides said.

Thats about the limit on stock voltage. If you're buying a card with triple slot cooler and overspecced power I think you might adjust a few parameters outside of CCC/VECC.

But 3 slots?!

It would be problematic on a reference design, but on a custom card it's fine. I don't have any add-in cards apart from my graphics card, and I'm sure lots of people are in the same situation. So even 4 or 5 slots would be fine.

It would be problematic on a reference design, but on a custom card it's fine. I don't have any add-in cards apart from my graphics card, and I'm sure lots of people are in the same situation. So even 4 or 5 slots would be fine.

Yap, I see no problem in that.

What does bother me is the fact that it's wider than the graphics card. That limits the case options a lot more than the number of slots.

I don't see how that's much better. Another 10mhz? Hardly breaking the mould. The HSF looks nice though.

I was talking about good over-cloking potential with ASUS 3-triple slot and custom PCB.
Maybe, possibly reaching 1.3GHz core and still consume less power then GTX580 @ 900MHz core.

Edit: If upcoming Asus triple slot 7970 could run the core @ 1.3GHz with no issues and beat Nvidia GTX590 in most game titles, I would say it would be awesome!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back