AMD: Southern Islands (7*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

As stated earlier, it is likely the highest voltage is the "nominal" voltage and the process is fine to operate at that level, meaning the low voltage parts have a lot of voltage headroom to OC with and with them being fast/leaky parts they should behave very well with it.

These are the most power bound to reach their specs. Likely they use the "rarest" of parts that are both relatively fast (so they don't need high voltage) and relatively low leakage. In other chips in the stack these types of parts go to the notebook SKU's but, commonly at these high end chips, no notebook target they can make dual chips boards with such parts.

Yep, it all makes sense now. Thx.

It's generally yes it does but not everytime.. Leakage is not the whole thing it's just a part of it.. Sometimes higher VID CPUs clock better than lower VID equivalents.. It's rare but not impossible

Thanks for that. I was thinking that you wanted something in the middle, sort of speak. As you wouldn't want a part that had no leakage (if there is such a thing).

79504ebmm5h6rl.jpg

Here is refference card Radeon HD 7950 3GB "built by AMD". Specifications: 800 MHz Core, 5 GHz Memories, different PCB - 99.9 percent non unlockable to HD 7970.
http://www.obr-hardware.com/2012/01/world-exclusive-radeon-hd-7950-by-amd.html

Last edited by a moderator:
What's wrong with it? It's probably >= 580 performance. It all depends on pricing.

Gongo was referring to the cooling solution. You don't use vertical blowing, internally exhausting solutions, for cards of this grade.

And while this would be passable for single card solutions, it hurts greatly in dual card solutions.

The good thing is that rumors suggest that AIBs are free to do whatever they want with the 7950, so we may see some 7970 HSFs on some 7950s.

What's wrong with it? It's probably >= 580 performance. It all depends on pricing.

I have it calculated for ~10% slower than 580.

Of course such broad strokes dont take into account a lot of things, it'll probably relatively excel in newer more important games and so forth, like 7970. The other thing is overclocking potential, it should beat 580 handily there if 7970 is any indication. Toss in more future proof 3GB of RAM and 449 will be a pretty justifiable price.

87.5% of the units at 86.5% of the speed should be about 75% of the 7970 performance. I'd call that close to equal a (non overclocked) gtx580.

87.5% of the units at 86.5% of the speed should be about 75% of the 7970 performance. I'd call that close to equal a (non overclocked) gtx580.

I worked off the idea that a 7970 is 20% faster than 580. .75X1.2=.9, Not an exact science, I'm sure you have the 7970 faster vs 580.

$449 would be way too much for that and imo there is no chance it'll be that much if those specs are final.

As fast or close as 580, but with 3GB RAM instead of 1.5, and the so far incredible overclocking potential of Southern Islands?

Cheapest 580's I'm seeing right this second on newegg are 469, 439 after rebate.

It is a safe price and nothing compelling, grant you that, but so far that's the way AMD has played it, so not unexpected.

As fast or close as 580, but with 3GB RAM instead of 1.5, and the so far incredible overclocking potential of Southern Islands?

Cheapest 580's I'm seeing right this second on newegg are 469, 439 after rebate.

It is a safe price and nothing compelling, grant you that, but so far that's the way AMD has played it, so not unexpected.

If the specs are 75% of the"halo" part 7970 it can't have 82% of the price. It would be something else...

Edit. Imo it was already a mistake to pit these against the last gen products from the competition. It might sting a bit soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the specs are 75% of the"halo" part 7970 it can't have 82% of the price. It would be something else...

It doesn't matter as long as the product is compelling at its price point. If it's outperformed by parts at or below that price range they would have to lower it. If you think the 7970 is a better deal because you get 25% more performance for 20% more money, I'm sure they'd rather you buy the 7970 anyway.

Edit. Imo it was already a mistake to pit these against the last gen products from the competition. It might sting a bit soon.

Are they supposed to pit them against rumors of a future part? It's been said before, but I'll say it again. AMD is not a charity. If competition comes along that forces their price lower, they can do that, you can't price against non-existent products or rumors. As much as consumers might like a price war, it's not good for the bottom line of either vendor.

It doesn't matter as long as the product is compelling at its price point. If it's outperformed by parts at or below that price range they would have to lower it. If you think the 7970 is a better deal because you get 25% more performance for 20% more money, I'm sure they'd rather you buy the 7970 anyway.

When the $549 price for the 7970 was announced people were quick to defend it by stating that "you always pay more for the halo part" and that good value is elsewhere. That actually is right even if the price wasn't.

Are they supposed to pit them against rumors of a future part? It's been said before, but I'll say it again. AMD is not a charity. If competition comes along that forces their price lower, they can do that, you can't price against non-existent products or rumors. As much as consumers might like a price war, it's not good for the bottom line of either vendor.

They should have some amount of forward looking in their marketing. I would have been somewhat fine if they took the $499/$349 points with these cards even thought that's already a big hike from the 69xx cards, those would have been solid non-charity pricepoints. Now they were only looking back, specifically pitting these against the old non-relevant competition.

Gongo was referring to the cooling solution. You don't use vertical blowing, internally exhausting solutions, for cards of this grade.
For one, the cooling solutions match the TDP of the part it is being aimed at. Second, most AIBs use axial fans on their own designs, even up to 300W. Third, don't believe everything in the post where this originates.

When the $549 price for the 7970 was announced people were quick to defend it by stating that "you always pay more for the halo part" and that good value is elsewhere. That actually is right even if the price wasn't.

It was priced against the competition. 3GB GTX580s were/are priced around that same $550. Someday Nvidia might have a faster part at that price point, but right now they don't. The same goes for the 7950, if it's as fast as a 580, is there some reason they should sell it cheaper other than to satisfy your need for a bargain?

They should have some amount of forward looking in their marketing. I would have been somewhat fine if they took the $499/$349 points with these cards even thought that's already a big hike from the 69xx cards, those would have been solid non-charity pricepoints. Now they were only looking back, specifically pitting these against the old non-relevant competition.

Just to clarify, you're suggesting that the current Nvidia lineup is non-relevant? That doesn't happen until Nvidia launches parts which make it so.

The 6970 was at the price point it was at, because that's where its performance positioned it, just like you should expect new products to position themselves in price where their performance puts them. If new products come out that force that price down, they can (and probably would) lower the price. I have no doubt that the 7970 is substantially more expensive to manufacture than the 6970 (more ram, new process), selling it near the same price point when they have no competing part at their performance level would just be foolhardy. If the 7950 is roughly equal to the 580GTX, at $449 (assuming that's correct) its a $50 bargain over the competition.

Yeah "quality" is highly misleading.

Regarding 7950 pricing, of course they should price it relative to the competition but they shouldn't set themselves up for a short term price cut. AMD of course knows more about Kepler than we do so the 7950's price could very well tell us what they think of it.

Back