AMD RyZen CPU Architecture for 2017

Just pre-order one.
My apologies, I didn't realize you were so new here. I'm John Hayden but I go by digitalwanderer around the web. Feel free to call me Dig, Digi, Digisan, John, Shit-for-Brains, or whatever. Very nice to meet you.

I'm not allowed to spend money on computer equipment of any sort without advance consent of my wife, who will NOT give me consent. This is just sort of a known and given about me, but since we don't really know each other I thought I'd take the time to explain. I've been a stay at home Dad for the last 18 years now and due to some problems with my kids I can't work a part-time job, so I am at the whims of my wife and fate for computer parts.

Fortunately I've spent a great deal of the last 18 years online on forums learning about computers since I didn't know how to work on/upgrade mine and couldn't afford to pay someone to do it. Went from asking questions to answering questions, and then to being a mod at some sites, then an admin at a site called Elite Bastards. EB is down right now, but it's coming back soon...as soon as I get a bit better at making a working website with forum. (I'm learning)

I've been lucky enough to have some friends rise up in the industry and they're kind enough to kick me some PC parts from time to time. Before AMD bought ATi I was a rabid ATi fan, so AMD just sort of inherited me in the buyout and a lot of my ATi friends are now pretty important people at AMD and it freaks me out and makes me feel all proud for 'em at the same time.

I'm really looking forward to AMD making a come back, I think it's going to be a great thing all around and believe it will start a new renaissance in gaming. Realy-o, truly-o, I do.

So that's why I'm not pre-ordering. I like being married. It'll be 22 years in October, and I'd hate to muck it up over something stupid that I KNOW will piss my wife the hell off. <sigh> (Me and spending money are button issues with her. I suck with money so made sure to tell her to not let me have easy access to it. It's probably saved our marriage, but it can be a drag at times. <double-sigh> )

I'll be getting something new and faster someday, hell it wouldn't shock me if a Ryzen system just showed up on my door. (Oh hell, yes it would! But in a good way where I dance around the house hugging the box...it's happened before. ;) )

I'm actually just looking to all the hard work the people at AMD have been putting in for the last decade and a half or so to finally pay off. It's not just the Ryzen team, it's all the people who kept the company going through the Phenom years and a few other not so great products that allowed them to get to this point, and my thanks goes out to all of them. :love:

just because i wanted to be complete and waste my Saturday morning here is a more complete DAI memory test.

Data is quite interesting and some of it i cant explain.....lol i tested the low ns 1333mhz like 4-5 times

dragon%20age%20test.png

used this as a test location :
http://www.users.on.net/~rastus/ScreenshotWin32_0006_Final.png

Could These 8 core Ryzen cpus be even more futureproof in the long run than a higher clocked quadcore i7?

How likely is it that the next generation of console games might be utilizing more than 8 threads? Multithreading drawcalls in vulkan/dx12 could help. Could PS5/Xbox4 support over 8 threads or would that be unlikely due to chip size/heat and other software development side issues?

Could These 8 core Ryzen cpus be even more futureproof in the long run than a higher clocked quadcore i7?

How likely is it that the next generation of console games might be utilizing more than 8 threads? Multithreading drawcalls in vulkan/dx12 could help. Could PS5/Xbox4 support over 8 threads or would that be unlikely due to chip size/heat and other software development side issues?
There are already some games that show noticeable gains on 6-core and 8-core i7 over higher clocked 4-core i7. But most curren gen games still favor higher clocked quad. For current gen games, a 4.2 GHz quad is (and will likely continue to be) a slightly better choice than 3.6 GHz 8-core. But 8-core will of course be more future proof. Cheaper 6-core and 8-core chips mean that more gamers will have them. Intel's Coffee Lake also has 6-core mainstream i7 models. More incentive for developers to optimize their engines for larger parallelism. DX12 and Vulkan also helps.

Lower clocked 8-core is significantly more power efficient than higher clocked 4-core. For example: 8-core 2.1 GHz Xeon D is 45W, while 4-core 4.0 GHz Skylake i7 is 91W. Both have similar theoretical peak multi-core throughput. I would expect that next gen consoles (PS5/XB4) will have at least 8 cores, and possibly more. AMD also has SMT now, so 16+ threads is highly probable. Cores will also certainly be faster (higher clock rate and/or higher IPC). I would expect 8-core PC CPUs to become more important for gaming when next console generation launches.

Last edited:
According to ComputerBase, the AMD B350 chipset does support multi-GPU, but only through CrossFire. There is no SLI support. This information is still under NDA despite new motherboards and Ryzen CPUs being available for preorders. I know B350 is the budget-oriented chipset, so multi-GPU is may not be as popular as it will be on X370, but I think it’s worth to know this beforehand.
Also speaking about the memory support, because that is still a concern of many, here’s a statement from ASUS published by Gibbo from OCUK:

I’ve decided to provide some recommendations on DDR4 limitations concerning AM4 currently.

As it stands the AMD code has restricted RAM tuning options which means many RAM kits at launch will not be compatible. This is the same for our competitors also.
What we recommend is the following:
If fully populating a system with 4 DIMMs (2DPC), use memory up to a max of 2400MHz.
If using 1DPC (2 DIMMs) ensure they are installed in A2/B2 and use memory up to max of 3200MHz.

The indication I have received from HQ is that AMD has focused all their efforts on CPU performance so far and will release updated code in 1~2 months when we expect improved DDR4 compatibility and performance.”
In short if filling all 4 DIMM’s set your speed to 2400MHz and work up from there.
If using 2 DIMM’s put them in the A2/B2 slots and a max of 3200MHz should be possible.

In our testing only the Crosshair board achieved 3000-3200MHz, the others were in the 2400-2666MHz range.

https://videocardz.com/66369/psa-amd-b350-motherboards-do-not-support-sli

Last edited:
Interesting. The Gigabyte B350 motherboard I'm planning on getting has a memory support list that goes up to 3200Mhz. That one is far from their top end board. I sincerely hope the Corsair 3000Mhz RAM I'm getting for it works at the supported speeds. I guess enthusiasts can buy their high speed RAM and if there's issues they can run it at 2400Mhz and clock higher when this apparent code is coming.

There are already some games that show noticeable gains on 6-core and 8-core i7 over higher clocked 4-core i7. But most curren gen games still favor higher clocked quad. For current gen games, a 4.2 GHz quad is (and will likely continue to be) a slightly better choice than 3.6 GHz 8-core. But 8-core will of course be more future proof. Cheaper 6-core and 8-core chips mean that more gamers will have them. Intel's Coffee Lake also has 6-core mainstream i7 models. More incentive for developers to optimize their engines for larger parallelism. DX12 and Vulkan also helps.

Lower clocked 8-core is significantly more power efficient than higher clocked 4-core. For example: 8-core 2.1 GHz Xeon D is 45W, while 4-core 4.0 GHz Skylake i7 is 91W. Both have similar theoretical peak multi-core throughput. I would expect that next gen consoles (PS5/XB4) will have at least 8 cores, and possibly more. AMD also has SMT now, so 16+ threads is highly probable. Cores will also certainly be faster (higher clock rate and/or higher IPC). I would expect 8-core PC CPUs to become more important for gaming when next console generation launches.

I wonder what kind of frequency you could achieve at TSMC 7nm node, in a reasonable thermal envelop, for a such CPU (8C/16T)?

I retried some rough pixel counting with the higher-res Anantech die shot, and this time I think I get around 190-200mm2. I went back to the marketing slide I tried to derive the area from before, and oddly enough I get something closer to that than the ~183 I got earlier. Not sure where the difference came from, perhaps my error was magnified by the smaller image.
I'm a little uncertain how much of the bars above and below the CCX count as part of the CCX area disclosed as being 44mm2 by AMD elsewhere.

Looking at recent rumors about Intel trying to sabotage AMD I was thinking, independently of the true of the rumor, what can AMD do to prevent this to happen again? would AMD have a plan this time to not let this happen?

I myself don't think a company like Intel would need to worry too much since they got like 90% if the market plus like 100 times more money even if it will hurt their image in the eye of investors(Intel will see lower revenue, will have to lower expectations, etc) but even in worse case scenario it will take several years to AMD starts to hurt Intels and Intel have to resources to fight through R&D alone.

Btw 1800x is out of stock in several stores. At least preorders went pretty well for AMD.

Looking at recent rumors about Intel trying to sabotage AMD I was thinking, independently of the true of the rumor, what can AMD do to prevent this to happen again? would AMD have a plan this time to not let this happen?

The rumors I've been hearing is about sending e-mails to reviewers asking for specific benchmarks/games to be included in the review. They will also probably be asking reviewers to include in the comparison the revised pricing schemes that have started to appear (which still put AMD offerings in a much better light to be honest).

The problem with Intel is that reviewers have little to gain in putting Intel in a better light. Intel has been on the top for too many years and their subsequent leniency has made them boring.

Launching a news piece and/or review claiming that AMD finally beats the competition is a noteworthy news story that gives lots of clicks. A story about Intel beating the competition is not.

So unless Intel is sending money to these people, there's not a whole lot they can do this time.

The rumors I've been hearing is about sending e-mails to reviewers asking for specific benchmarks/games to be included in the review. They will also probably be asking reviewers to include in the comparison the revised pricing schemes that have started to appear (which still put AMD offerings in a much better light to be honest).

The problem with Intel is that reviewers have little to gain in putting Intel in a better light. Intel has been on the top for too many years and their subsequent leniency has made them boring.

Launching a news piece and/or review claiming that AMD finally beats the competition is a noteworthy news story that gives lots of clicks. A story about Intel beating the competition is not.

So unless Intel is sending money to these people, there's not a whole lot they can do this time.
The problem with rumors is just that: they are not confirmed. but here is a link of an(supposedly) IT Director:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5w5pta/intel_already_offering_special_promotions_and/

Back