AMD RyZen CPU Architecture for 2017

but at a minimum it comes at the cost of bandwidth, and possibly there are banking conflicts. Bulldozer cores at least up to Steamroller had frequent L1 bank conflicts (Excavator was not documented), the L2 was generally terrible so I am not sure if there were issues with banking in that mass of problems.
The L2 in Bulldozer and Excavator gets a lot more traffic due to the store-through L1 caches; Zen's L2 will see a fraction of that traffic. I'd be extremely surprised if bank conflicts are even measurable.

Cheers

150 / 180 for the corsair. they are already board 1150 for 44 bucks. and this AMD board were suppose to be "really cheap" but they are same price as Intels. Maybe other brands launch cheaper boards.

The corsair is x370 top quality, likely comparable to their ROG Intel boards, which are also around $200 and higher.

1150 boards have been around for years. And if y ou spend $44 on a motherboard, you generally don't buy ASUS and you're not buying gaming chipsets.

X370 is like z270 for intel.

ur totally missing the point. u can't say "very cheap" or even "cheap" if ur competition have the same prices.....

Maybe wait for a lot more brands and models to be released I guess? I just don't expect El cheapo motherboards from ASUS, irrespective of what AMD says or wants.

thats pretty much in line with my expectations, its a brand new platform so it will sell at a premium for some time. the 44 dollar mobos selling at newegg and amazon are like the old low end ones. that said ~$120 for an x370 board would be pretty awesome, imagine what kind of combos microcenter is gonna have. oh lawd!

but...130 bucks for a mobo the cpu cost 130/170 or 200 for a 200 / 230 cpu would be a mismatch by the old rule. I already have a mismatch I have a 200 bucks mobo(maximus 7) with a 200 bucks cpu(4590) in AMD case you are spending almost as much in the mobo as in the CPUs. Also you would get an Asus z97 for almost 100 bucks. and that was a fully capable mobo.

I agreed on that but the 150 and 200 may appeal for the 175 / 200 ryzen buyers(should be their match actually)

So why exactly can't we equate cores, be specific please!
I know Zen looks good on paper, i meant real world performance, right now we have a lot of apps where every Intel CPU is on top of every AMD CPU
ark_proz.jpg

Conan_proz.png
I can't be sure Zen is going to end this and get to the top, and so far some of the benches suggest that inconsistency might carry over.

Im sure your the kind of person who would argue the 1070 & 1080 aren't making stupid amount of money for NV because most people only need a $50 GPU......................
I wasn't talking about profits, i was talking about getting back half the market share.

Hell, Intel's own quads are 3x the price for "not even 1.5 better" compared to an oced Pentium, I am not sure what your point is.
The point is that AMD doesn't have one, that is while being percieved as a "budget choice".

I'm just coming off a different perspective, not attacking anyone.

I know Zen looks good on paper, i meant real world performance, right now we have a lot of apps where every Intel CPU is on top of every AMD CPU
ark_proz.jpg

Conan_proz.png
I can't be sure Zen is going to end this and get to the top, and so far some of the benches suggest that inconsistency might carry over.
which benchmarks? again be specific so far as i know there isn't a single benchmark where Zen looks bad, CPC 3.15ghz tests, the AMD Demo's even the stuff like Passmark look good if you understand what you are looking at.

I wasn't talking about profits, i was talking about getting back half the market share.
Again whats that got to do with anything? note also that AMD ever reached 50% market share ( only in sub sections of the market). The Zepplin SOC has something like a 20-25 billion USD a year TAM, that isn't enough for you?

APUs will come later since AMD is using ryzen as a marketing tool making sure everysingle person who comes into internet know 'they are back' so people will consider buying AMD hardware again.

The point is that AMD doesn't have one, that is while being percieved as a "budget choice".

I'm just coming off a different perspective, not attacking anyone.
"Budget choice" models already exist. AMD has plenty of existing FX, A8 and A10 models in that price range. Example: 4.2 GHz Quad 79.90$: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113326&cm_re=amd_fx-_-19-113-326-_-Product

Zen is high end. And that is perfect for marketing. AMD need to increase their brand value. Eventually AMD needs optimized dual/quad core Zen models with iGPUs to be viable in laptops, but this launch is focusing entirely on desktop, workstations and servers. Zen with integrated Vega GPU cores should be very cost efficient solution for entry level gamers. Intel's CPUs with high end iGPU models (eDRAM) are priced like luxury items. Forthcoming Zen+Vega APUs should be highly competitive (both price and performance).

Ryzen and Windows 7 (Update)
The fact that the new Zen processors and AM4 platforms officially received only support for Windows 10 was already clear at the beginning of last year . In this respect, the AMD's exaggeration last week, when AMD once again confirmed that (Ry) Zen on the Microsoft side would only officially receive support for Windows 10.

The fact that the Ryzen AM4 systems still run perfectly with Windows 7, confirmed both AMD itself and our community member Crashtest. AMD said directly that the Ryzen processors would also be tested with Windows 7, but there would be no official driver support for Windows 7. User Crashtest, on the other hand, has analyzed the latest AMD chipset driver packages and found that all drivers for Zen are already integrated, so there should be nothing to prevent the smooth running of AM4 and Ryzen under Windows 7.

But of course there is a difference between "is already running" and "officially supported". AMD emphasizes that only Windows 10 is officially supported. Since Microsoft should have his fingers in the game. The fact that Ryzen will also be functional under Windows 7 ("is already running"), but should be considered safe.
http://www.planet3dnow.de/cms/28873-ryzen-und-windows-7-update/

which benchmarks? again be specific so far as i know there isn't a single benchmark where Zen looks bad, CPC 3.15ghz tests, the AMD Demo's even the stuff like Passmark look good if you understand what you are looking at.

Again whats that got to do with anything? note also that AMD ever reached 50% market share ( only in sub sections of the market). The Zepplin SOC has something like a 20-25 billion USD a year TAM, that isn't enough for you?

In addition, ( without even taking in account thoses 50% numbers ) is someone expect AMD to gain much marketshare in what ? 2 days after the launch, 1 year, 2 years ? ... hardware PC is not the smartphone market..

Theres many many things involved and different market.. Notebook, familly PC, Administration/office. gaming pc, server, HPC. In many case it will depend of the final product ( specially with laptops and branded PC.), they need design win on Laptop brands who come with excellent notebook as an example.

This will offcourse take time.

Last edited:

Thanks you Pharma, lets hope this hold true till it is released.

Google translate:

The fact that the Ryzen AM4 systems still run perfectly with Windows 7, confirmed both AMD itself and our community member Crashtest.
AMD said directly that the Ryzen processors would also be tested with Windows 7, but there would be no official driver support for Windows 7.
User Crashtest, on the other hand, has analyzed the latest AMD chipset driver packages and found that all drivers for Zen are already integrated,
so there should be nothing to prevent the smooth running of AM4 and Ryzen under Windows 7.

But of course there is a difference between "is already running" and "officially supported". AMD emphasizes that only Windows 10 is officially supported.
Since Microsoft should have his fingers in the game. The fact that Ryzen will also be functional under Windows 7 ("is already running"), but should be considered safe.

Last edited:
Back