AMD RyZen CPU Architecture for 2017

I mean, they don't make any sense as they are presented in the comparisons.
Are the 2P prices supposed to be per processor or total?
If per processor, why is Epyc 7601 at >$4000 when AMD states in a press release that it's priced at $2100? And it's compared to a Xeon priced at nearly $5k per CPU?

Do you have a link to the press release? The 7551P (single socket) SKU is $2000 according to The Register, maybe that's the one you've seen pricing for ?

With the current pricing AMD holds a performance/W, performance/$ and outright single/dual socket performance advantage; AFAICT, there is no reason to set prices too low. Later this year Intel will launch the Skylake Xeons which will erode pricing

Cheers

Do you have a link to the press release? The 7551P (single socket) SKU is $2000 according to The Register, maybe that's the one you've seen pricing for ?

With the current pricing AMD holds a performance/W, performance/$ and outright single/dual socket performance advantage; AFAICT, there is no reason to set prices too low. Later this year Intel will launch the Skylake Xeons which will erode pricing

Cheers
http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/amd-epyc-datacenter-2017jun20.aspx

In the footnotes
Based on cost of 1 x EPYC 7601-based (1 x $2100 AMD 1k price) system with 256 GB (8 x 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2666) memory (8 x $300), 1 x 500 GB SSD ($165), and chassis costs ($500) for a total system cost of $5,165;

Well this will need clarification, specially 7601 vs 7551P.... It could be that they have use a 7601 for their test of 1P vs 2P Xeon. and only count the price of their 1P cpu ( meaning the 7551P ). who is all but not clear. ( this way system price was comparable )

I dont see the 2P having the same price of the 1P, so i will think the 2100$ are effectively for the 7551P and not the 7601..

Well Gubbi, prices are allways for 1K units on official site. ( but in general this mean " shops" and partner touch them at even lower prices and add their margin, so normally the price close up thoses values )

Last edited:
It is not uncommon for 2P processors to cost significantly more than their equivalent 1P parts, right? IIRC intel does the same

It is not uncommon for 2P processors to cost significantly more than their equivalent 1P parts, right? IIRC intel does the same
But AMD has only 3 1P models, the rest work with both 1P & 2P systems and 7601 is not 1P, it's 1P & 2P

It is allways like that.. ( 2P cost more ). ( or at least as far i remember it have been the case )

Last edited:
Intel prices their 2P offerings roughly 2x-3x higher than their equivalent 1P.

For example:
- 2P Xeon quad core @ 3.5 GHz = 995$. 1P Xeon quad core @ 3.5 GHz = 294$.
- 2P Xeon octa core @ 3.2 GHz = 2057$. 1P Xeon octa core @ 3.2 GHz = 1113$.

The entire Epyc line-up:
tXcQa7j.png

it's not the first time I hear, after some intensive memory tests, that the sweet spot for Ryzen when it comes to RAM speed, is 2400-2666MHz and this seems to confirm that.
It's identical official RAM support to Ryzen, since the're all Zen chips with the same MCs. And the servers they'll be going in won't be running anything faster obviously, but it's not really relevant to what gamers do with RAM in their Ryzen systems.

it's not the first time I hear, after some intensive memory tests, that the sweet spot for Ryzen when it comes to RAM speed, is 2400-2666MHz and this seems to confirm that.
The sweetspot is really around 3066 MHz and low latency settings IIRC

Nope, there's only two Zen-dies so far, Zeppelin which is used in Ryzen, Threadripper and Epyc and whateveritscalled that's used in Raven Ridge with the iGPU
Yeah, I'd assumed way back it was going to be MCM of smaller chips like this but somewhere along the way got the impression there would be a bigger 16 core die.
I like the multiple smaller dies thing, lets AMD focus limited engineering talent on making the single die better (albeit needs a bunch of effort on the MCM system) :yes:

Now the dream becomes taking 2 or 3 of those Ryzen dies off & sticking a big top end GPU + HBM on there :runaway:

The entire Epyc line-up:
Seems like pretty solid clocks/TDP :cool:

Now the dream becomes taking 2 or 3 of those Ryzen dies off & sticking a big top end GPU + HBM on there :runaway:
AMD has been planning 2x Zeppelin + Greenland with HBM on a MCM (only Greenland & HBM on interposer, Zeppelins communicate with them with GMI-links (or is that Infinity Fabric links now?)) for a long time already and Greenland was or is even in their OpenCL drivers alongside other GFX IP 9.x chips, so maybe we'll get it sooner rather than later. Though I'm sure if they'll release it, it will be limited to server/heavy workstation markets instead of consumers

Could you provide context to the video you embedded?

Could you provide context to the video you embedded?
Linus is taking thousands of 3 months of Amazon affiliate data to determine how well Ryzen has been doing based on his viewers.
  • Ryzen CPUs were 4 out of 10 CPUs, with the 1700+1700X being 4th and 5th
  • 7600K is #2 (morons)
  • Since his last analysis of affiliate data, AMD has gone from 7% of sales to 29%
Lots of other really interesting tidbits on hardware purchasing across all types of components and peripherals.

Pointing out the obvious, that the R7 Ryzen CPUs offer incredible value for workstation builds at that pricepoint.

Pointing out the obvious, that the R7 Ryzen CPUs offer incredible value for workstation builds at that pricepoint.
Not surprised at all. I have 6700K and my whole computer starts to stutter when I am rebuilding Unreal Engine or our game, or when I rebuild shaders or cook the build data. Even basic web browsing is unpleasant when doing these heavy tasks in the background. I would really love a 16-core Threadripper. Would significantly reduce the time of these operations (in some days I lose more one hour of work time in waiting) and would make the computer more responsive when doing these operations in background. 8-core Ryzen would obviously be an improvement too, but not as big. If 16-core Threadripper is <1000$, it will change game dev life :)

Back