AMD RyZen CPU Architecture for 2017

Discussion in 'PC Industry' started by fellix, Oct 20, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Clukos

Clukos Bloodborne 2 when?
    Veteran Newcomer

Looks like I'm going for water AIO next then, I'm currently running 3.9GHz at 1.33 volts with the Wraith Spire :)

Cyan and Lightman like this.
  2. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

the Wraith Spire is an all-purpose heatsink and my CPU was bundled with it, I am pretty happy with it. But for certain speeds and faster CPUs it shall run short at some point. Still, it is a very good solution to begin because it works like a charm if you don't push the CPU much.

My Ryzen 1500X is set at 3.7GHz...could it be reasonable to run it 3,9-4.0GHz with the Wraith Spire?

3. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

As I said in another thread I set the max voltage of my CPU to 1.25V and set it to 3,8GHz without XFR (didn't want to go to 3,9GHz though it is doable with stock heatskin, the Wraith Spire). AMD say that for Ryzen 5 a max voltage of 1.45V is doable but not recommendable because it is going to shorten the lifetime of the CPU, although 1.35V is perfectly fine for a 24 hours 365 days operation.

These are the results (not bad):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My sweet point is 3,875GHz which I also tried and that's the frequency that I have now. Temps are around 62ÂșC with this configuration.

4. Clukos

Veteran Newcomer

The Wraith Spire can provide enough cooling for up to 1.35 volts imo. It's not ideal but it's not bad either. Running prime95 at 1.33volts on a 1700 at 3.9GHz I see a maximum of 73C, If i drop down to 3.8 and 1.28 volts the temps drop to 66C. Under gaming load it sits around mid 50s.

#2164 Clukos, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    Lightman, Cyan and BRiT like this.
  5. kalelovil

Regular

Presumably with the exception of PS4/Xbox One game developers, where the 2 Jaguar CU layout is a precursor to Summit Ridge's 2 Zen CCXs.

6. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

that sounds good to me, because very few software is going to use the 16 threads of your 1700.

Which program do you use to measure the temps of your 1700?

On a different note, I settled at 1.25V and 3,875GHz and I was using CPU-Z and randomly got this. The 9976 is the closest to the most powerful i7 processor -9993 benchmark-. I didn't upload the values 'cos it wasn't my intention to share them, but I got a screen capture. Thing is that at 3,8GHz I got 9700+ and also at 3,875GHz I get similar, but slightly better results, rarely achieving 9800, not to mention 9900.

[​IMG]

Lightman likes this.
  7. xEx

xEx
    Regular Newcomer

From Canard PC:

B2-step seems to focus on Uncore/SoC erratas (PCIe controllers, etc.) . I don't see many fixed bugs within the core.

Alexko and Lightman like this.
  8. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Implying there are bugs or lackthereof indicating it doesn't really have any?

9. hoom

Veteran

But its split into 2MB slices per-core & clocked with the core.
    I've never been able to understand how that didn't produce all sorts of performance affecting variable latencies.

10. Clukos

Veteran Newcomer

Cyan likes this.
  11. entity279

Veteran Regular Subscriber

Isn't the discussion about achievable clocks and voltages and coolers off-topic? Please move it somewhere else

12. Clukos

Veteran Newcomer

How is it off-topic? At the very least it shows how the architecture scales with voltage, and it also helps current Ryzen owners to fine tune their system.

13. entity279

Veteran Regular Subscriber

Ok , maybe Its me that considers this CPU arch threads similar to the GPU ones. There you have a thread for the more theoretical architectural discussion and additional threads to discuss the products themselves.

For me at least, it's annoying to find replies that are relevant mostly to owners of the cpu or people intending to buy it. Its ok if I'm the only one who feels this way :)

On the contrary, steppings and errata , or news or predictions about Epyc & Threadripper, they definetly belong here in my view

#2173 entity279, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    BRiT and Gubbi like this.
  14. tunafish

Regular

Because that's not how it works. All cores access all slices evenly. Every cache line is mapped to a single slice depending on it's physical address and can only exist in that slice. And access to different slices have variable latencies, but the added latency is only one cycle (!) per hop, so it doesn't matter much.

15. lanek

Veteran

16. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

It seems that the inter-socket bandwidth is close to the scenario I was guesstimating earlier for GMI versus xGMI. It's almost twice the 42 GB/s of one chip's GMI links. xGMI is either slower or has some extra overhead versus the on-package links.

17. kalelovil

Regular

ServeTheHome have released some limited and preliminary power consumption figures:
    https://www.servethehome.com/amd-epyc-7601-dual-socket-early-power-consumption-observations/

Clukos and Lightman like this.
  18. hoom

Veteran

So it is actually 4* Ryzen dies on one MCM :cool2:
    [​IMG]
    Somehow I got the impression there would be a 16 core die & this would be 2* that.

Cyan likes this.
  19. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Nope, there's only two Zen-dies so far, Zeppelin which is used in Ryzen, Threadripper and Epyc and whateveritscalled that's used in Raven Ridge with the iGPU

20. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Has AMD made any clarifications on those Epyc prices?
    I mean, they don't make any sense as they are presented in the comparisons.
    Are the 2P prices supposed to be per processor or total?
    If per processor, why is Epyc 7601 at >$4000 when AMD states in a press release that it's priced at $2100? And it's compared to a Xeon priced at nearly $5k per CPU?
    If per system, why are the lowend 7281 and 7251 ">$600" and ">$400" in both 1P and 2P comparisons?