AMD Radeon RDNA2 Navi (RX 6500, 6600, 6700, 6800, 6900 XT)

Why not? As far as hobbies go $1000 is peanuts. There’s definitely a market for $1000 graphics cards.
I don't think for the majority of the population on the planet that $1000us for a GPU upgrade is peanuts, and I personally think that GPU prices have sort of went totally insano the last few years.

Yeah, it's a personal call. No denying, but I am of the opinion that you should be able to get/build a decent gaming rig for under $1000. I know lots of people feel differently, but that's me and my thinking and I'm sticking to it.

I look for value in my gaming upgrade bucks, and a $1000 gpu just isn't a good value. It's too much for a toy that will be obsolete in a couple of years, and I say this while just realizing I have a $1,500 gpu still going in my house. LOL (Radeon R9 295X2, a gift from Lisa Su. :) )

Also just to keep it straight in my mind when I'm looking at used bargains as they come out, the 3000 series by nVidia is better than the 6000 of AMDs but the 6000 series of GPUs isn't awful? Excluding the 6500 and below of course.

Note the word "retail" as in "real market prices". Most AIB models of 6800XT were severely overpriced in comparison to 3080 cards from the same AIBs even.
2 months had elapsed between the availability of 3080 (17 September 2020) and 6800XT (18 November 2020).

Current Video Cards Price Trends - PCPartPicker

AIB 3080s had risen in price by the time AIB 6800XTs went on sale. Demand/pricing had started its madness by the middle of November.

So AIB or reference doesn't materially affect the point, AMD shifted its prices upwards in response to 3080.

AIB 3080s had risen in price by the time AIB 6800XTs went on sale.
And yet they were still higher than these of 3080 clearly pointing to Navi 21 actually costing more than GA102 in production. If they were planning to compete with GA104 with this chip then they would've miscalculated even more.

I don't think for the majority of the population on the planet that $1000us for a GPU upgrade is peanuts, and I personally think that GPU prices have sort of went totally insano the last few years.

Yeah I meant it’s cheap relative to other hobbies.

I am of the opinion that you should be able to get/build a decent gaming rig for under $1000.

You still can as long as you don’t need 4K 144Hz ultra settings like reviews lead us to believe.

Yeah, it's a personal call. No denying, but I am of the opinion that you should be able to get/build a decent gaming rig for under $1000. I know lots of people feel differently, but that's me and my thinking and I'm sticking to it.

Throwing something quickly together using PC Partpicker's system builder gets to $460 for a 12400f, 2x8GB DDR4 3200, case, PSU in the US. This leaves you $540 to work with for the primary storage, GPU and whatever else you need. Obviously the GPU situation currently is still impacted by mining but if we assume MSRP availability there's plenty of space in there to fit in at least a RTX 3060. Even with still current inflated prices I believe 3060's have had fairly decent availability now at an inflated $400. So that would leave $140 for storage and etc.

Throwing something quickly together using PC Partpicker's system builder gets to $460 for a 12400f, 2x8GB DDR4 3200, case, PSU in the US. This leaves you $540 to work with for the primary storage, GPU and whatever else you need. Obviously the GPU situation currently is still impacted by mining but if we assume MSRP availability there's plenty of space in there to fit in at least a RTX 3060. Even with still current inflated prices I believe 3060's have had fairly decent availability now at an inflated $400. So that would leave $140 for storage and etc.
1000$ should get you a PC that succinctly outperforms a 400-500$ console to be good value IMO.

Obviously the GPU situation currently is still impacted by mining but if we assume MSRP availability...
That's part of the trouble you can't really assume that.
So many reasons for high prices, MSRP, RRP doesn't mean much at the moment, hasn't for years.

Need: Consumer Realistic Retail Price (CRRP)

That's part of the trouble you can't really assume that.
So many reasons for high prices, MSRP, RRP doesn't mean much at the moment, hasn't for years.

Need: Consumer Realistic Retail Price (CRRP)

I did give a scenario with somewhat realistic prices based on the current situation, $400 RTX 3060 have had fairly good availability now with the mining demand drop. Even if you want to use the absolute highest price currently right off the shelf there's a RTX 3060 available at Newegg.com for $470, that still will fit in.

As for the pricing situation of the last almost 2 years we can revisit that debate if you want. I'm in the camp that it was due to a combination of unique factors. The primary unique factor will also either abate (and therefore the price of the RTX 3060 or equivalent will continue to fall) or if mining remains profitable indefinitely we can argue that we should factor in mining returns against the cost of purchase.

1000$ should get you a PC that succinctly outperforms a 400-500$ console to be good value IMO.

This assumes that the only thing you use the PC for is games. If that's the case then yes, that 1000 USD PC isn't very good value compared to a console.

If you need a PC anyway then generally the only real consideration when determining if it's a good value versus a console is the price of the GPU since you need the PC for other things (like work or school or pr0n or whatever).

Regards,
SB

This assumes that the only thing you use the PC for is games. If that's the case then yes, that 1000 USD PC isn't very good value compared to a console.

If you need a PC anyway then generally the only real consideration when determining if it's a good value versus a console is the price of the GPU since you need the PC for other things (like work or school or pr0n or whatever).

Regards,
SB

If you really want you can do a lot more than game on a console. There's productivity apps that run in a browser. Social media apps exist. Who knew?

And they do. PCs do a lot more of “value” than consoles do.
Now that work from home is ending I don't believe most people, at least those who would be buying a PC with a gaming GPU in it, do much other than game and consume media/internet. All of which can be done on their console/phone. Lets not pretend like the majority of PC owners are doing content creation.

Do we really have to fight over this? I mean y'all remember what the "P" in "PC" stands for, right? "PERSONAL"! Everyone computers differently, and that's ok.

At the end of the day, we're all in to computers. Why bicker over the petty stuff?

Back