• Within couple months

Votes: 28 18.1%
  • Very late this year

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • Not until next year

Votes: 69 44.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Agreed. Post processing options that are supposed to "enhance" an original digital image are the first I turn off in any device (Blu-Ray player, cable/satellite receiver, TV, AVR, ...). To me the 5450 is the perfect HTPC card. It was a real life-saver when it turned out that clarkdale does not do 23.976Hz.

If you like inferior I.Q. *shrugs*
http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3734&p=4

Amazing that in 2010 people still don't get AVIVO/PureVideo features and functions.

Amazing that in 2010 people still don't get AVIVO/PureVideo features and functions.

What are you talking about. First, you linked to an outdated article (anand has made updates). Second, most "videophiles" turn off the post processing effects of AVIVIO/PureVideo (but not the de-interlacing) for HD material.

My HTPC (and I assume most other HTPC's) is connected to a 1920x1080 TV. I have disabled Enforce Smooth Video Playback (ESVP), and everything I throw at it is smooth. Vector Adaptive Deinterlacing works fine for me too. I think Anand's article and update confirm this.

I don't need any other post-processing options. I just want the original image.

I have to agree that it is unexpected that these options are mutually exclusive on an HD5450 though. Fortunately for me it has no consequences whatsoever.

Next you'll be claiming that Nvidia does a good job in this budget sector, when they are clearly far far worse. Just look at Anandtech's recent look at a G210, where the card couldn't even pass the test without dropping 1 out of 3 frames, not to mention having worse audio.

The fact remains that it is still by far the best HTPC card when it comes to price, power consumption, heat output, video quality, and audio quality.

Some might be drawn to the 5570 where you may get very very slightly better video quality for SD sources, but most people building HTPCs now days are concerned with HD video sources, so the lack here isn't a killer.

And even considering that, the video quality of SD feeds is virtually indistinguishable between my 5870 (which can enable everything easily) and the 5450. I'm one of the ones still viewing some SD sources as I am a horror film afficianado, and most of my library isn't going to be released in HD anytime soon. :p

And it's a complete non-issue.

Regards,
SB

What about actual availability.. hopefully better then the near non-existent 5970 PE (ironically supplies were far better on launch day then 4 months after).. I guess Cypress yeilds are just too darn good for either 5830 or 5970s /wink

The only reason you don't see that man 5970s in the market is it doesn't make business sense to make more. Its an issue of maximization of both profits and market share within a supply constrained environment. ATI doesn't make 2x profits on 5970s vs 5870 due to the an effective demand cap on pricing for the 5970s and they only sell 1 vs 2 cards which reduces their market penetration. In this situation, it only makes sense to produce 2 5870 and get greater profit, greater revenue, and greater market penetration. I expect once demand/supply stabilize for the 5870 and hence prices go down that the availability of 5970 will improve. Considering there is effectively no performance threat to the 5870, the 5970 is effectively just a placeholder.

Next you'll be claiming that Nvidia does a good job in this budget sector, when they are clearly far far worse. Just look at Anandtech's recent look at a G210, where the card couldn't even pass the test without dropping 1 out of 3 frames, not to mention having worse audio.

The fact remains that it is still by far the best HTPC card when it comes to price, power consumption, heat output, video quality, and audio quality.

Some might be drawn to the 5570 where you may get very very slightly better video quality for SD sources, but most people building HTPCs now days are concerned with HD video sources, so the lack here isn't a killer.

And even considering that, the video quality of SD feeds is virtually indistinguishable between my 5870 (which can enable everything easily) and the 5450. I'm one of the ones still viewing some SD sources as I am a horror film afficianado, and most of my library isn't going to be released in HD anytime soon. :p

And it's a complete non-issue.

Regards,
SB

in regard to the bolded part I'd say thats highly debatable, in particular against ATI's previous gen 4500/4600 which is cheaper has equivilent heat output and video output (being highly subjective) near equal.. so what do you get for the 2-4X cost .. you save 2-4W idle and you get audio bitstreaming.

in regard to the bolded part I'd say thats highly debatable, in particular against ATI's previous gen 4500/4600 which is cheaper has equivilent heat output and video output (being highly subjective) near equal.. so what do you get for the 2-4X cost .. you save 2-4W idle and you get audio bitstreaming.

The 5450 has lower load power consumption in anything but furmark/occt. Considering that's a questionable application in the first part for an enthusiast card where no game even approaches such consumption, using it with a budget card makes even less sense.

As for rendering quality it's arguable whether the 4550 is better or not. But I don't have a problem with it being technically better in corner cases. Most of the people that would upgrade from a 4550 to a 5450 (technically a side-grade 4th gen 5th perf index compared to a 5th gen 4th perf index) will be doing it primarily for the ability to bitstream.

Meh, I'm upgrading from a 3450, so 4550 isn't even a consideration.

Regards,
SB

AnandTech:
Sapphire will not be producing a 5870 Toxic, and the reason for that is that AMD won’t let them (or anyone else) offer a factory-overclocked card that runs significantly faster than their existing Vapor-X card (875MHz). This apparently isn’t a huge secret, but this is the first time we’ve heard this.

When we asked AMD about this, they told us that this all boils down to what AMD believes is safe operation for their chips. AMD allows vendors to factory overclock their chips to whatever point AMD feels is as high as they can safely go, and no higher. If any significant number of them could go higher, then AMD would have released them as a higher-end bin.
Seeing as 5870 cards seem to handle higher overclocks rather well, I wonder if this could actually mean that they are planning to introduce a higher clocked variant themselves.

AnandTech:
Seeing as 5870 cards seem to handle higher overclocks rather well, I wonder if this could actually mean that they are planning to introduce a higher clocked variant themselves.

Hmmm... and the uber cards from MSI/Gigabyte/Asus???
Max clock 900 MHZ? > 900MHZ 'not endorsed/approved' by AMD?

:?:

If they could, they would've.

Look at the 5970, how it's marketed at "unlimited overclock" but not released at such speeds.
Same goes for the Gigabyte SuperClock and MSI Lightning, they will allow you to go to 1Ghz but they will not run at those speeds out of the box.

Hmmm... and the uber cards from MSI/Gigabyte/Asus???
Max clock 900 MHZ? > 900MHZ 'not endorsed/approved' by AMD?

:?:

And that's why you have to download the "special" BIOS from their sites to give you an unlocked card and can go crazy with LN.

If they could, they would've.

Look at the 5970, how it's marketed at "unlimited overclock" but not released at such speeds.
That's because of the 300W limit of the PCIe spec. A single chip board will not run into that problem. As for whether they "would've", it's not like they need a faster bin at the moment. For all we know they might have a 5890 (or whatever) in the wings pending eventual competition from GF100.

...5450 vs everything else video quality comments...

What's funny is that I've found Haali Renderer and madVR to look so much better than EVR, the video renderer that Vista/7 use for all DXVA output. EVR is disappointing in what it does to video output, losing a good bit of detail (even with MPCHC's improved scalers), and sometimes messing up the reds due to some sort of chroma sampling problems that have been around forever and ever. They can keep that denoising and edge enhancement junk.

With either alternative renderer, you can stick in a 5 year old video card with SM2 support and have it look better than the newest stuff you're running with EVR!

Unfortunately you are stuck with EVR if you are playing Bluray because obviously the alternative players that support the other video renderers can't decode BDs. And of course it's not so great that you can't get that DXVA GPU acceleration because it's so incredibly efficient. If only DXVA was easier for people to work with, eh?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back