Votes: 69 44.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
5cdtsm.png

22zwc0.jpg

10icr5u.png

fduic7.png

2hnown6.png

I believe that means that texture units can read compressed MSAA buffers. Something that nvidia GPUs have been doing for a long long time.

But is that the mechanism Nvidia uses for their supersampling implementation? I still don't get the connection.

Hmmm, has there always been a "CrossfireX Compositor" on ATI cards? I can't remember seeing that on Rv770 layouts.

At first glance I thought the diagram said 'CrossfireX Connector'. Either way would having the CFx unit directly on the hub allow for shared RAM finally? Or at least quicker access to each others RAM?

Looks like ATi has been beavering away on CF quite a bit this time around. Maybe this is the working version of what was supposed to be on the 48xx?

-Plack

GPUs like GT200 or RV770 can call them heterogeneous multi-core designs and GPUs like SGX543MP can call them homogeneous multi-core designs.

RV870 from the early details that we have is kinda similar design with RV770.

For architectures like RV870 MCM designs makes no sense at all imo. (regarding performance scaling / die scaling ratio...)

tweakers.net is doing a very good job...

Lots of info inside...

I wonder who lltech4 is...

Regarding the AMD benchmarks (if they are real...) i think that for 4X AA 16X AF DX10.0 based codepaths, a good performance indication is the following:

5850 will be from -10% up to +35% in relation with GTX285
5870 will be from +10% up to +60% in relation with GTX285

For some games implementing DX10.1 codepaths probably 58XX will be faster than that...

So I guess 58XX is bandwidth limited.
I suppose the 5870 would need something like 1,5GHz instead of 1,2GHz to show its true colors and 5850 something like 1,2GHz.

AMD is making a hell of a pre launch marketing job...

Hmmm, has there always been a "CrossfireX Compositor" on ATI cards? I can't remember seeing that on Rv770 layouts.

Regards,
SB

Well.. not always. I fondly remember the good old days of the Crossfire Mastacard Edition.

master-composite.jpg

All you need to get CrossFired up!

XFIRE_CBL_INSTALLED.jpg

NVDA is in a position of strong financials. One of the strongest in the chip business. AMD is on the verge of bankruptcy if they do not turn things around within the next 2 years.
Q2/08: -$121M (lost)
Q3/08: +$62M
Q4/08: -$148M (lost)
Q1/09: -$201M (lost)
Q2/09: -$105M (lost)

total: -$513M for last 5 quarters
average: -$103M per quarter

As I said, -$12M for ATi's last quarter is nothing compared to these numbers.

Q2/08: -$121M (lost)
Q3/08: +$62M
Q4/08: -$148M (lost)
Q1/09: -$201M (lost)
Q2/09: -$105M (lost)

total: -$513M for last 5 quarters
average: -$103M per quarter

As I said, -$12M for ATi's last quarter is nothing compared to these numbers.

Dude, what's your point? AMD financials:

Q2/08 -$1,400M (lost)
Q3/08 -$400M (lost)
Q4/08 -$1,420M (lost)
Q1/09 -$414M (lost)
Q2/09 -$330M (lost)

That's disregarding the 6 losing quarters before that, mind you. Slappi's assessment was a response to someone claiming ATI was profitable. In fact, it just lost less than the rest of the company.

Back to the hardware:

One thing that has some ho-hum scaling is the internal bandwidth.

The L1 numbers seem to be in line with what would be expected with the doubling of the SIMD count.

The L1/L2 bandwidth appears to be in line with clock speed, even if the consumers of said bandwidth are twice as numerous.

This may be one area where some of the less than doubled performance might be attributed.

Back