AMD: R8xx Speculation

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by Shtal, Jul 19, 2008.

?

How soon will Nvidia respond with GT300 to upcoming ATI-RV870 lineup GPUs

Poll closed Oct 14, 2009.
  1. Within 1 or 2 weeks

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  2. Within a month

5 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. Within couple months

28 vote(s)
    18.1%
  4. Very late this year

52 vote(s)
    33.5%
  5. Not until next year

69 vote(s)
    44.5%
  1. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

In any case, it would be truly impressive if AMD launches a full DX11 lineup from top to bottom. But what does that say about RV740? Scrapped?

2. Jawed

Legend

Laptops?

Since laptop schedule appears to be 3-6 months behind desktop, RV740 presumably has life left there. It is meant to have returned to production.

Jawed

3. kemosabe

Veteran

Well before the 40nm yield issues were fully exposed I was expecting RV740 to actually do quite well in the notebook market, though it struck me from the outset that AMD had made no significant OEM design win announcements whereas NVDA seems to have racked up a whole bunch. Whatever it is, ATI seems incapable of recovering from that huge market share loss in the mobile space. Maybe the DX11 generation will be a turning point.

4. hoom

Veteran

I think the performance hit of using Edge Detect AA compared to MSAA with a tessellated scene will be relatively lower than it has been with traditional fairly low-poly scenes.

ATI Edge Detect AA mode does an edge-detect pass (should scale with resolution not triangle count) to find triangle edges where there is a high contrast change ie where jaggies are most noticeable.
    It then focuses high AA application to the detected high-contrast edges.
    It applies a lower AA level to the other triangle edges.

MSAA applies the same level of AA on all triangle edges so will scale by triangle count.

Also ATI historically has relatively few ROPs/RBEs compared with NV but AA performance is similar due to higher ATI clocks.
    Rumors suggest that the mainstream/high end cards of the new generation will have 32/64 RBEs.
    That's more like NV unit numbers but will presumably still be running at ATI's typically higher clock rates.

So if those rumors are true, these cards should be fillrate monsters = Lots of AA performance.

#1224 hoom, Jul 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2009
  5. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Well if rumors are true that Rv740 was delayed and was originally meant to launch for last holiday season, then it would be nearing EOL anyways if the R(v)8xx family is on time... I'm afraid the Rv740 will share the same short lifespan as the R520 and R600.

So I'm going to guess that it's pretty much a dead product, killed by TSMC's problems on 40 nm. It'll probably still limp along with what's available but I don't think ATI will be putting anymore orders in for it.

That's of course, assuming recent rumors are true.

And what a bunch of rumors those are.

AMD ready to launch a complete top to bottom lineup featuring up to 5 parts addressing 4 market segments?

And unrelated to AMD, but might help them. A possibility of at least 6 DX11 titles launching this year???

I dunno. It all sounds just a bit too good to be true.

Regards,
    SB

6. rjc

rjc
    Regular

Looking at the article he has used, uncredited, the codenames from previous Inquirer article by Sylvie Barak and attached a bunch of images from a google image search.

Unfortunately with Hemlock appears to have mixed up the Tsuga tree - a medium tallish conifer from North America and East Asia that grows well in the cold with Conium - a small shrub from Europe/North Africa that contains a poison very similar to nicotine.

Could forgive the above if he had added a date and/or event where the launch is to be held. For some reason he did not, as September was also mentioned in the Inquirer article.

Suppose from the information given could search for events in San Francisco around Week 37-38, September 7-18 roughly. The only thing i can think of about then is IDF.....:lol:

7. hoom

Veteran

Hmm, Sept/Oct in San Francisco, a place that might be forgotten, a full generation of 'earth shattering' chips called Cypress?
    How about this ?

Actually they are all streets in San Francisco. Mostly not as famous as that one though.

8. LordEC911

Regular

Hopefully it is an open invite like R600... sooo mad that it was a 21+ event.

9. Ailuros

Ailuros Epsilon plus three
    Legend Subscriber

Food for thought: multisampling is at the moment quite a lot faster than supersampling because polygon edge/intersection data is way lower than polygon interior data. Consider what happens if that balance starts to break.

What exactly edge detect has to do with that is beyond my imagination anyway; its an outstanding AA mode frankly but its current performance is all but great at the moment. That shouldn't mean that they can't tune it up in future generations but that's a totall different issue.

NV has released a patent about coalescing for multisampling if you're interested to read into it and not it's not a real solution for the problem at hand either IMHLO.

10. Tchock

Regular

Chiphell's nApoleon confirms some DX11 event on the 24th of September in Beijing.

Justifies Theo's news post?

11. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

It should, that czech site Jawed linked to in the GT300 topic said a launch around the first of october, along with the "GTX380."

So, 2 months gentlemen!

12. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

Damn, Win7 comes out around then too but i'm still gonna have to wait until 2010 for Gulftown to build my new super PC! :(

13. no-X

Veteran

The translation is pretty crappy - maybe because of the typing errors. Here are the key "facts" - I think my translation could be slightly more comprehensible:

Some(?) technical director (no name mentioned) told this to OBR (writer of this news) in Munich after a few beers. According to him, all information about problems with 40nm process and delay of the GeForce is bullshit. There will be enough GPUs for launch, however general availability won't be sufficient (and price will correspond to this fact) and situation will improve in time.

High end model should be based on 480 SPs, 512bit memory bus + 2GB GDDR5. 40nm, DX11, PhysX etc. It's still based on G80/GT200 architecture with some improvements, esp. for GP-GPU aplications. NVIO is separated (OBR was surprised by this fact...)

Gaming performance will be similar to overclocked GTX295, power requirements will be very low in 2D, otherwise similar to todays models. Launch: 1st October.
    ---

I won't comment it, everybody can make his own conclusion.

#1233 no-X, Jul 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2009
  14. LordEC911

Regular

OBR is a huge Nvidia fanboy over at XS...
    He rarely has connections/sources but he isn't always completely BS, I would rate him lower than almost any other news site.

15. air_ii

Newcomer

Isn't he the guy who always claims to have an unreleased card/CPU, promises to benchmark it and then it turns out it's all bs?

16. Lightman

Veteran Subscriber

That's him :roll:

17. mboeller

Regular

found at 3dcenter.de (posted from anarchX):

http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/view_message/32310888

18. Tchock

Regular

Wait, notebook parts in the spotlight that fast?

Unless they're trying to blow the 40nm nVidias away by countering paper with (thicker) paper. :lol:

19. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Now not only rumors of a full top to bottom Dx11 launch by AMD, but also a full top to bottom launch of Dx11 Mobile GPUs?

Yeah, this is starting to make me wonder if someone's been partaking of the crack pipe a little too much.

Regards,
    SB

20. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

If you're going to do it, then the launch of Windows 7 seems like the best time...