Votes: 28 18.1%
  • Very late this year

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • Not until next year

Votes: 69 44.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
100Hz too I think.

3D glasses are bundled with monitor, but are outsourced to 3rd parties so costwise will go down faster than a fixed product marketed and pushed to the channel by a singular brand.

100Hz too I think.

3D glasses are bundled with monitor, but are outsourced to 3rd parties so costwise will go down faster than a fixed product marketed and pushed to the channel by a singular brand.

where did u get the info from ?

I'm not really sold on 3d. The nvidia verison gives me a headache .

Well I'm not in the know.I would think the process will be much more mature than it was when the final clocks were settled on for the cypress family back in the summer. I'm thinking an april or so release for a 5890 card. So you figure you got a good 7 or 8 months from when the cypress clocks were finalized. Ati might have also done another spin to fix any bugs that were wrong in the original cypress. So 7-8 months of process maturity should amount to not only better yields but the chips them selves testing at higher clock speeds or reduced heat production and less power requirements to run them. Or perhaps all three.

Its like anything else the more you do it the better you become at it.

April huh? If they are going to do a respin then it ought to translate downwards throughout their lineup. Theres no point in just letting the top bin benefit from an improvement in performance. Unfortunately to introduce more performance you need new names, 5890/5860 for example? The RV 790 was more of a small time affair, but the Cypress revision if real ought to permeate throughout the top of their lineup at least.

Edit: What about the Eyefinity edition? Isn't that meant to be coming around the same time? What better target card for higher clocks and uber performance? It does have the full backplate for venting hot air IIRC.

Edit: What about the Eyefinity edition? Isn't that meant to be coming around the same time? What better target card for higher clocks and uber performance? It does have the full backplate for venting hot air IIRC.

Same time? Right now, it looks like february will launch low end Redwood and Cedar parts, 5830 and 5870eyefinity6

If I'm not mistaken, Eyefinity 6 card had 6 & 8 pin connectors. Why would it need 6 & 8 without some very serious core clock bump along with 2GB GDDR5 :?:

Perfect time to bump it to 1GHz in strap another 1GB on.

I wonder if they're holding off Cypress/Juniper 6DP until the FirePro range comes and such instead, rather than err... Windows' limitations (unless that has to do with the inability to do SLS across 6 screens)?

I think the refresh of RV870 - aka "RV890" will be based on more mature 40nm tech, BiG "IF" it will be released in March 2010, that puts 6 months apart from RV870. Simply ATI had time to optimize the core to hit 950MHz+ for the GPU with same power consumption as RV870 @ 850MHz. And as well - faster rev. memory from samsung GDDR5 (6.0Gbps).
Really we are looking here 10-15% percent improvement, still - not enough to challenge on paper GF100 "GT300".

Unless ATI improves some how the core "GPU-design" to run more efficiently to hit 20% percent improvement for the refresh GPU.

Don't forget, they can increase die area by 50% and still be smaller than NV. They can increase power use by 50% and still be smaller than NV. Given that they have a VERY modular architecture, neither would be much of an engineering problem. Also, ATI has demonstrated a much better ability to product parts on TSMC's 40nm process, and has notably better yields at similar die sizes (No, I won't quantify that, but it is not a guess).

Given all of that, you could see a 2400 shader, 384-bit, 250W Evergreen that likely crushes GF100 in almost every measurable way, and a yield-salvage 2000 shader part as well. That said, I don't think it will happen, but should ATI want to, it is well within reach technically.

On the other hand, they have a 3200 shader card now that is cheaper to produce than a single die 2400 card, and faster as well.

-Charlie

http://img2.zol.com.cn/product/40_500x2000/709/cel2LuV7XyyOI.jpg
http://img2.zol.com.cn/product/40_450x337/804/ceZZ0vlfPTtK6.jpg

Bit Cauldron glasses? Wireless and wired (microusb).

Any idea what nV 3D Vision connects to?

I think I am the only one to have written it up so far:

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/01/05/bit-cauldron-has-standard-3d-glasses/

The short story is Zigbee (technically 802.something - they are not licensing the Zigbee name) glasses with discovery option and more. I still think active glasses are stupid, but this fixes just about everything that can be fixed on active glasses.

-Charlie

I wonder if they're holding off Cypress/Juniper 6DP until the FirePro range comes and such instead, rather than err... Windows' limitations (unless that has to do with the inability to do SLS across 6 screens)?

From what I read over at WSG, it was seemingly implied that it's a limitation (Windows possibly drivers) that for 4+ displays 2 groups needed to be formed.

From what I read over at WSG, it was seemingly implied that it's a limitation (Windows possibly drivers) that for 4+ displays 2 groups needed to be formed.

As we've all seen the linux 24 Screen set-up, you'd honestly have to lay the blame on M$.

As we've all seen the linux 24 Screen set-up, you'd honestly have to lay the blame on M$.

Which brings up the question of WDM support (MS) and driver interaction (ATI).. I did/do find it off that the 24 display/4 card solution was Linux and too it would seem that the fault lays at the feet of Redmond.

April huh? If they are going to do a respin then it ought to translate downwards throughout their lineup. Theres no point in just letting the top bin benefit from an improvement in performance. Unfortunately to introduce more performance you need new names, 5890/5860 for example? The RV 790 was more of a small time affair, but the Cypress revision if real ought to permeate throughout the top of their lineup at least.

Why ? We have no idea when nvidia will get the low end of its dx 11 parts out. Right now some are saying the highend wont even come till june with the gtx 360 hitting in late march.

Ati can simply take the respin and the top binned chips and make a 5890 at 1ghz + and then take the lower bin chips and just run less voltage to the 5870/50/30 and be able to reduce costs on cooling and perhaps other things also. For example with less voltage they should use less power and thus if any of the chips just barely need that extra power connector that can go also.

If a respin and yields improve that much they can simply remove the 5830 from the equation and puch the 5850 to that price point ($230 rumored price ?) giving more breathing room to the 5870 which can then be priced at $300 with the 5890 at the old 5870 price point. If charlie is even remotely close to right with his cost numbers a 5870 is pretty cheap to make. THen they can also roll out a 5990 and price down the 5970. Mabye $500 and $600.

I'm sure with a respin they will fix any bugs they might have and depending on why the 5870 was limited (set up , fillrate , shader , bandwidth) you will get a decent bump of 10% to 30% from a 1ghz + card.

I'd also expect the 5890 to come with 2 gigs which will certianly help it out in high res and eye infinity performance.

Back