• Within couple months

Votes: 28 18.1%
  • Very late this year

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • Not until next year

Votes: 69 44.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wow. I voted what I thought would be very pessimistic, but that ended up being overly optimistic; choice of Very late this year.

Aha! I voted next year. Too much BS and lack of consistent information from Nvidia if they were going to make it out by the end of the year. The claimed schedules just didn't match up with what we were hearing (or not hearing).

Now they are saying March, so either they are lying to us or they have no idea what is going on and when they can fix the chip.

Now they are saying March, so either they are lying to us or they have no idea what is going on and when they can fix the chip.

Ah yeah, the mixed signals. Alibrandi said something about the lines of "waiting for drivers" because they want GPU and GPGPU both perfect, somehow suggesting that GF/Qdro/Tsla all need better drivers then they were working on for the past year.

The PCPer article from the 30th has nvidia saying that there is no relation between the GF and Tesla cards, seems to me that they could launch one or the other since not everyone has to wait for the same drivers? It must be a PR nightmare having one side of the company say they're completely different products and the other side saying they're not.

Talking to someone else (who's actually tasked with getting cards to customers) he said it's still a matter of yields and actually reaching "satisfactory" clocks. That doesn't bode well to better availability than Cypress to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Talking to someone else (who's actually tasked with getting cards to customers) he said it's still a matter of yields and actually reaching "satisfactory" clocks. That doesn't bode well to better availability than Cypress to me.

Fermi would be worse though. A more complex design, with more process issues, that is larger (thus more likely to get hit by die defects), that has already had lots of problems. It's got to be at least as fast and not much more expensive than 58xx/59xx. It's harder and more expensive to build, and if clocks are poor, it's not going to be fast enough to warrant any kind of price premium. Sure, Nvidia will BS about DP and Physx, but those are not the fundamentals in the gaming market.

And then you have to ask what Nvidia are going to do for all segments other than the high end.

Ah yeah, the mixed signals. Alibrandi said something about the lines of "waiting for drivers" because they want GPU and GPGPU both perfect, somehow suggesting that GF/Qdro/Tsla all need better drivers then they were working on for the past year.

Ah, finally, some consistent info with multiple trustworthy sources to back it up. If you recall, Theo said there was A1 (although I seem to recall it saying A2 in the past) silicon in Santa Clara in May, and that they couldn't begin work on the drivers until they had silicon in house (article seems to have gone poof there).

Step forward, and you can see Alibrandi saying that work on the drivers is still ongoing, so that is the reason for the delay. There, simple logic.

Remember, they never claimed a year for their black friday launch.

-Charlie

128 KB R/W cache for global atomics ... that's quite a bit. Is this a general R/W cache for all UAV load/stores?

Last edited by a moderator:
Much to Sontin's dismay, there will be a mobile Cypress, it's name can be found by tracing picking up a map op New York and locating Broadway, Madison Av. and Park Av.

Hint is here.

Much to Sontin's dismay, there will be a mobile Cypress, it's name can be found by tracing picking up a map op New York and locating Broadway, Madison Av. and Park Av.

Hint is here.

The problem is, it was supposed to come as 32nm product, and as we know, TSMC (and GF, for that matter) has cancelled 32nm bulk process. Only "real option" is either 40nm (too hot?) or 28nm (too late?), or if Chartereds (now part of GF, right?) 32nm process is bulk and suitable for GPUs?

Hint is here.

32nm for the GPU in 2010? When was this roadmap made? Also whose 32nm process would they be talking about? Their own or TSMC?

How much more expensive is SOI? Couldn't it simply be a test run for that process? (You'd imagine a mobile GPU variation of Cypress would would require a lot less testing, and respins, than new processor architectures and fusion.)

How much more expensive is SOI? Couldn't it simply be a test run for that process? (You'd imagine a mobile GPU variation of Cypress would would require a lot less testing, and respins, than new processor architectures and fusion.)

I would say a better analysis of it would be based on overall performance and for mobile parts its as important to have good performance for every watt 'spent'. Overall its probably better to look at it from the perspective of overall margins. If a mobile chip has better performance characteristics for the platform then its margins would be higher.

I would say the major expense would be from actually redesigning chips designed for a bulk process and making them suitable for SOI. So long as the chip performs better any increased cost for the chip itself relative to the competition can be offset by increased margins.

i believe Nvidia was investigating this a while ago but im not sure how far or what conclusions they drew from the idea.

If it's the same 480 stream processor variant used in Llano the redesign work could be shared for the most part (the GDDR5 interface might be a big deal, but seeing as AMD pioneered it in the first place and they have experience with running HT links at similar speeds on SOI for a long time it might not be a big deal either ... I dunno).

Back