• Within couple months

Votes: 28 18.1%
  • Very late this year

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • Not until next year

Votes: 69 44.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It seems that actual 5870 cards will be available for the majority of folks in January so the supposed December availability is not going to materialise. The date given for my card is January 12th so I have asked to cancel it and will now wait to see what Fermi delivers and is costed. At least it might push down prices.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1471938

Untitled.png
Hmm, similar memory bandwidth and pixel fillrate (16 rops!) as HD5750 but only halve the alus? Should I really believe this?

Hmm, similar memory bandwidth and pixel fillrate (16 rops!) as HD5750 but only halve the alus? Should I really believe this?

Sure, why not. We've seen how many times cards are more bandwidth or fillrate limited than shader limited. This looks like another winner for AMD and it will probably end up much more popular than 57xx. Their execution of late is really a stark contrast to the clusterfuck over at Nvidia.

Given the scaling from Cypress to Juniper (which basically halves everything), they should be able to do this in just under 100mm² (~GT126-size). And that's IMO on the edge of being pad-limited for a 128 Bit Interface.

This is surely real....
I don't doubt the screenshot is real, just that gpu-z actually reads that out correctly (certainly it messed up the texel fillrate).
Too bad he didn't post texel/pixel fillrate numbers from some 3dmark...
Also, with 400 shader units, it would need to have either 20 or 40 texture units (5 16-wide or 10 8-wide clusters, respectively). 20 doesn't sound like quite enough, and 40 sounds like overkill (would be same alu/tex ratio as on rv730, but there are reasons to increase this in this generation for lower end imho - most notably because alus also get taxed with attribute interpolation).
Though the benchmark results posted don't quite blow me out of the water, in comparison to HD 4670 it seems to scale pretty much along the increased shader units (+25%), so I can't quite see the need for 100% more rops and memory bandwidth. I could believe the high memory bandwidth (cause the cheaper card using this chip will use ddr3 hence have only half the memory bandwidth at best), but it still seems a bit odd.
Just feels a little unbalanced with 400 shader alus and 16 rops/128bit gddr5...

PICS?!

amd_radeon_hd5670_01.jpg

amd_radeon_hd5670_02.jpg

Hexus:http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=21437
According to the poster, AMD's ATI Radeon HD 5670 scores 859 on the Unigine benchmark, a 23 per cent increase when compared to the previous-generation ATI Radeon HD 4670.

http://www.hardware.info/nl-NL/news/ymicmJqYwpWacJY/AMD_Radeon_HD_5670_op_de_gevoelige_plaat/

That's two Crossfire Connectors.. VGA is not connected, that looks like a dummy port.

Now. I wonder if nVidia will retract it's stance on "sub $100 cards don't need SLi"

Last edited by a moderator:
Theo Valich says it's BS.

Ironyplz.

The same Theo Valich that didn't believe ATI could launch a card that ran more than 2 displays? 2 weeks before RV870 launched? Or the one that believed that RV870 was a dual-GPU set-up?

Last edited by a moderator:
The same Theo Valich that didn't believe ATI could launch a card that ran more than 2 displays? 2 weeks before RV870 launched? Or the one that believed that RV870 was a dual-GPU set-up?

is that the same one who said Fermi would launch in November ??

Different Theo, this one had is sources confirm that the GT300 was 512 shaders so it wouldn't look like he took the info uncredited. Luckily, he checks all his material before he posts it.

-Charlie

Back