AMD: R7xx Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
=>Nebuchadnezzar: I know I used that acronym a few pages back, but I haven't been following the discussion since. QDR is no specific type of DRAM, it means Quad Data Rate and I was proposing a theory (based on the clocks GPU-Z(?) detected), that GDDR5 could physically run at quarter the effective speed, transporting data 4 times per clock, instead of classic DDR where the physical frequency is half the effective frequency. Who knows...

On a per pin basis one is double data rate and another is quad data rate.
So I guess when people say the "real" clock of 3.6GHz GDDR5 is only 900MHz, the latter refers to internal RAM chip clock, and the communication is still using a 1.8 GHz clock with a transfer on both the rising and falling edges, right?

LOVE the new sig Dave!
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

So I guess when people say the "real" clock of 3.6GHz GDDR5 is only 900MHz, the latter refers to internal RAM chip clock, and the communication is still using a 1.8 GHz clock with a transfer on both the rising and falling edges, right?
Umm, I thought if the effective clock is 3,6 GHz, then the data are simply "sent" 3,6 billion times per second, or not?

They should have stayed with either the effective frequency all along or added some kind of "QEDR - quad effetice data rate" somewhere with the nomenclature, many won't know that 900MHz GDDR5 is twice as fast as 900MHz GDDR3/4 :p Either that or just forget the internal working clock.

3dmark_vantage_overall.jpg

Test Results:Notice that the Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 graphics cards actually beats out the NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+ without the help of Physics. With Physics enabled the NVIDIA card with PhysX support gets a boost to the overall score thanks to the performance gained in the CPU test. The physics speedup carries a 25% weight on the final 3DMark score at the Performance Preset. http://www.legitreviews.com/article/731/14/

I did wonder that ATI 4870 should be 30% percent faster then ATI 4850. So in 3DMark Vantage it should score ~P8300 points. "The question remain - is it worth extra cash for 4870 ??"

Indeed. But we're transitioning to referring to pin rate - i.e. 3.6Gbps.

I did wonder that ATI 4870 should be 30% percent faster then ATI 4850. So in 3DMark Vantage it should score ~P8300 points. "The question remain - is it worth extra cash for 4870 ??"

When I multiply 7274 by 1.3 I get ~9400. Are any of the cards over $200 worth it?

this is so retarded to include physX to total Vantage score ...

I think it's a major deficiency to have one base total score. They should have kept the GPU, CPU, and Physics tallies separate.

whats the release date for r700? if the performance is right that's the card ill be getting also i hope the drivers will be decent on release....

I was wondering if ATI will unlock extra 40 or 50 stream processors for RV770XT "HD4870". = Total 840 or 850 stream processors.

I think it's a major deficiency to have one base total score. They should have kept the GPU, CPU, and Physics tallies separate.
With the current strcuture that wouldn't be particularly telling either. In actual games physics and graphics would be contending for the same resources and in the GPU accelerated case you would effectively be "double scoring" graphics and physics scores.

Question! Why do you want to get 4870X2

Because i have a single pci-e 2.0 motherboard crossfire on a stick and such...
Why does it matter its not set in stone I am hoping they turn out great if they don't ill get a gtx280 whatever works.
Do you have something against it? Seems like you have a chip on your shoulder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back