AMD: R7xx Speculation

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by Unknown Soldier, May 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jawed

Legend

2. JasonCross

Newcomer

Gah! Thanks for catching the typo. Don't know how that slipped past. It should be fixed to say "more than double."

Review of the 4850 going up tonight probably. The surprise pulling in the embargo lift made it slightly more rushed than I would have liked, but we'll have more interesting stuff next week. :)

3. fellix

fellix Hey, You!
    Veteran

Hm, simple repacking? But we really have no way to know for sure being, blind about RV670 ASIC structure. :roll:

#4183 fellix, Jun 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2008
  4. JasonCross

Newcomer

Supposedly, they do. You'd have to ask ATI for how exactly they managed to do pretty much the same work in less space or increase transistor density, but a single RV770 ALU takes up less die area than a single RV670 ALU.

As for the accuracy of the diagrams - none of those were made by me, they're directly from ATI.

5. Jawed

Legend

It looks like there's a 1:1 relationship between TUs and L1s.

Alternatively the TUs can fetch from either vertex cache or global data share. Is it reasonable to presume that at any one time only one TU can fetch from either GDS or VC? If all the TUs could concurrently fetch from VC, say, you'd have a completely stupid crossbar.

So, one fetching TU at a time would imply some fancy thread scheduling (i.e. the per-SIMD sequencers being given timeslots by the command processor, or perhaps round-robin scheduling?).

So, is local data share an analogue of parallel data cache in G80?

Jawed

6. Jawed

Legend

Thanks for your article, nice to get so much detail in one place.

Jawed

7. Mintmaster

Veteran

You gotta think that the ATI engineers are kicking themselves for producing so many GPUs with the old, inefficient ALU design. So many millions wasted!

8. Silent_Buddha

Legend

/drool...

/drools some more...

I hope someone tests this out. Pretty sure Techreport will, as they tested it before on R(v)6xx... Can't wait.

If Edge Detect is useable single card for 24 samples, that will put it immediately on my must have list.

Regards,
    SB

9. Psycho

Regular

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/HD_4850/images/front_full.jpg

GPU still seems big for 255mm2, - on this nice regular picture I get 220*216 pixels and 1114 for the pci-e - and with a pci-e length of 85mm it equals to 16.8*16.5 or 276mm2 within 1-2%. Maybe they don't count the plastic cover - however the same calculation fits for the 192mm2 for the rv670..

But maybe ATI likes the good vibes around a small chip :wink:

10. ChronoReverse

Newcomer

Yeah, if ED works well at 1680x1050 I'm going to pull the trigger.

11. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

The 276mm^2 is the correct size, 255mm^2 was just rumored size earlier
    (I think?)

12. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Not necessarily. It's quite possible that Nvidia has had a seperate R&D team working on a multi-GPU concent seperate from the monolithic GPU concept. We all know they have enough cash to do this. What we don't know is if they have or have not been doing it.

However, considering ATI is closer to being first to market with a viable (non-traditional AFR multi-GPU) product, it's probably safe to consider them ahead in that. And certainly (other than user configured profiles) ahead of Nvidia with multi-GPU software. All IMHO of course.

Regards,
    SB

13. AnarchX

Veteran

No, 16mm side-length of this quadratic chip were confirmed by AMD. ;)

14. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

if there won't be GT200-related midrange/lowend products in near future, but just 8x00/9x00 cards filling those price segments, it might indicate that they have assigned other design team(s) for "alternative" (in this case, multi-gpu instead of monolithic) route
    But it remains to be seen, of course.

15. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Ok, I've been out of comps for a week and a half so I'm still a bit out of it all :cool:

16. Arty

Arty KEPLER
    Veteran

GT2xx parts are still in development, not canned. I think it was Arun who dug up info on them.

17. DegustatoR

Veteran

What concept? Take two GT204s (something like 8 TCPs @ 55nm), slap them together on one board and sell it as GT290X2 or something? Where's concept in that?
    GT200 is a great chip. GT200 dissipates less heat and wants less power than even 4850CF while being on 65nm (according to Anand anyway). The only "problem" with it is that it doesn't provide the kind of speed we were anticipating from the "G8x"-architecture GPU with such complexity. But I believe we'll see some significant improvements here with future driver releases. And I believe it'll be unbeatable in GP/CUDA applications (with the possible exception of DP math), which was one of the key points of its design AFAI can say.
    So i really see no reason for any desperate moves on NVs side. Some mid-term strategy correction maybe, but nothing radical.

18. Doomtrooper

Veteran

Every architecture has flaws ;)

19. mczak

Veteran

That could have been a rounded down number, 16.5x16.5 would still be 272 mm^2 :).

20. Fornowagain

Newcomer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.