AMD: R7xx Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. If NVIO was a good idea for G80 size, it's an even better idea for a bigger size. You'd cry real tears losing a good die over a bad spot in the NVIO area if it was integrated.
Yeah, there's definitely that, and also wafer cost for the necessary analogue process steps. Just taking a random number here, but 5% higher wafer cost for something that's only used on 2.5% of the die area is a bit ridiculous. It's worth pointing out, however, that given the cost of an extra chip that doesn't apply at all to a smaller chip like RV770 so I propose we stop going off-topic right away. (sorry for going on that route myself above)

Think that pic just answered the question quite alot of questions floating around this thread regarding 800 ALUs and the assumed die size of 276mm^2. Seems more bigger.
This was pretty much already answered (page 105 or so) - heck its why the rumoured size of 276mm^2 even exists (previous rumour was 256mm^2...). Granted it was a different pic but very similar...

Didn't we already have that discussion? (edit, beaten)

What surprises me is how clean the front of the card is.
Particularly between the chip & the DVI ports.
Did they just shift all that stuff over to the back (which seems somewhat busier) or have they integrated more of that stuff onto the die?

It is hilarious that none of the people with access to the chip have measured the damn thing and published the result.

Jawed

Actually, NVIO is more likely to reduce the overall bill of materials than increase it for a chip that size.
It may bring down the BoM for GT200, but doesnt it contribute to overall cost of the videocard?

Another chip to produced, tested, added to the board etc..

Last edited by a moderator:
57% bigger than RV670.

That would prolly have made everyone happy with the idea of 800SP/32TUs/Z-increase if that's where the rumours for die size started :LOL:

Which has been, of course, Arun's point all along.

Jawed
The next million dollar question would be; is X2 still a possibility? :p

So some of the cost advantages have been overblown then, slightly.

This thread has been very rah rah ATI, but bringing it back around, Nvidia still has the faster single chip and that's going to count for a lot when the dust settles. And GT200b especially, if they start upclocking and downpricing the thing. If the 260 starts hitting 350 and below points, it's going to start becoming the volume gamers choice.

toplessrk2.jpg

X1950XTX-NA.jpg

RV770 vs. R580 very close in size.

~300mm2 vs. 352mm2

So some of the cost advantages have been overblown then, slightly.

This thread has been very rah rah ATI, but bringing it back around, Nvidia still has the faster single chip and that's going to count for a lot when the dust settles. And GT200b especially, if they start upclocking and downpricing the thing. If the 260 starts hitting 350 and below points, it's going to start becoming the volume gamers choice.

I would never spend more then ~$299.00 US. dollars for the video card, which is GT200 is out of my budget range.

800SP/10 arrays/10 tex arrays/16 ROPs

800 SP (160 5D); 40 TMUs; 16 ROPs is the final specs . Check for confirmation chiphell's GPU Roadmap .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back