AMD Polaris Rumors and Discussion

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by gamervivek, Dec 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. lanek

Veteran

Not really new on AMD profressional cards, both S9170 and W9100 have 32GB ( with one gpu chips on it ( no dual ).

This card, is mostly here for expand the Radeon Pro lineup, who was based on Polaris when they have still the high end under the "old" FirePro brand ( W9xxx etc )

#181 lanek, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  2. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

This reminds me of the dual Radeon in the Apple Mac Pro especially. This didn't work so well, what with people lacking the option to only buy a single GPU and other issues with the computer ; but I don't wish to derail the discussion into one of inadequacy of Apple hardware (or software) for professional workstation users.

Seen on hardware.fr : they sum up some AMD PR about the Radeon Pro Duo (but without pasting a sliding gallery of slides for this one), saying AMD has glorious benches agaisnt the Titan X in Adobe Premiere Pro CC and Blender (of course these being very well behaved applications for the architecture). They conclude with the launch price being $999.
    So, with the large memory (really 16GB per GPU) this makes it competition for the GTX Titan series this time, it's easier to make sense of it than the former dual Fury card.

3. pharma

Veteran Regular

AMD’s New Radeon Pro Duo is Slower, Cheaper Than Its Predecessor
    https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/248302-amds-new-radeon-pro-duo-slower-cheaper-predecessor

4. kalelovil

Regular

128 TMUs and 36 CUs is an odd configuration. I didn't know it was possible to disable just TMUs, or has AMD supplied incorrect information?

For now, the 2xFijji Pro Duo are still in stock at US$750-800.

5. monstercameron

Newcomer

Or sfr maybe.

6. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

While it would be possible at least in theory (API specs), in practice every single SFR-solution currently would still get just 16GB effectively

7. xEx

xEx
    Regular Newcomer

ImSpartacus likes this.
  8. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

Has AMD ever shown Prey in anything other than Vega hands-on previews? (This is Polaris' thread BTW).

I see some notable differences between Prey and other UE4 releases, like support for Multi-GPU through AMD's latest driver. Could this mean that Prey is UE4's first adoption of forward rendering?
    Also in the works are UE4's support for Vulkan in Windows.

EDIT: It's using CryEngine 3, not UE4.

A patch for the a new API could be coming at the same time as Vega's launch, which is why there wasn't a lot of work done for the current DX11 version.
    The same happened last year with Doom in idTech6, also from Bethesda.

#188 ToTTenTranz, May 5, 2017
    Last edited: May 5, 2017
  9. Clukos

Clukos Bloodborne 2 when?
    Veteran Newcomer

Prey is using Cryengine 3 iirc.

ImSpartacus and ToTTenTranz like this.
  10. ToTTenTranz

Oops, you're right. I corrected the post.

Regardless, CryEngine V already supports DX12 and the next release coming up late May will support Vulkan.
    How likely is it for the game to be upgraded to CryEngine V + DX12/Vulkan during Vega's release in June?

It's strange that AMD would use a game with such an old engine stuck to an old API to promote a brand new card.

Going on-topic, here is the game running with a single RX480 @ 1415MHz:

and now with dual-RX480 Crossfired but with a slight downclock in the memory:

From 50-70 FPS in single to 100-120 FPS in dual GPU mode. The game scales pretty well with Crossfire.

Lightman and BRiT like this.
  11. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

Maybe they had Bethesda implement Primitive Shaders? Which we won't know until Vega release.

Or it's merely a collaborative marketing agreement for bundling only to get some copies of the game out there upon Vega release.

ImSpartacus likes this.
  12. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Has it actually been promoted in any Vega-related context, or just Ryzen? CPU tests is what we need (and preferrably with AMD cards, too, since the performance anomalies NVIDIA has shown on Ryzen)

13. ImSpartacus

Regular Newcomer

Yes, this is mostly the hard evidence of the extent of the marketing campaign. It's a couple months old.

https://www.techpowerup.com/230699/...y-to-amds-vega-possible-hint-at-launch-window

[​IMG]

I was hoping for a Vega-prey bundle, but oh well. Looks like that isn't super likely.

pharma likes this.
  14. ToTTenTranz

It has, during an event in Frankfurt back in February for PCGamesHardware.de:

[​IMG]

15. ToTTenTranz

Ooops, looks like we posted practically at the same time.

Just to finish this offtopic, there's a rumour/leak of a Vega box art showing that Quake Champions is the game being bundled:

[​IMG]

All of these are Bethesda games.

But since Vega 10 will probably have to co-exist with Polaris 10 for at least another year due to the RX500 rebrand, we should expect AMD-Bethesda optimizations to extend to pre-Vega hardware.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11164...ction-for-vr-vega-gets-a-server-customer-more
    More snippets pointing to Prey possibly getting an upgrade to Vulkan when Vega releases.

16. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

I sincerely doubt that. Prey has been in development for a few years on an older version of Cryengine. There are no Vulkan conversions of CE anywhere, with Starcitizen only starting work on that now with their Lumberyard version. The marketing/resources agreement with Bethesda will be for future titles, not ones that have been worked on previously, especially using an engine Bethesda doesn't really work with.

CSI PC, ImSpartacus and DavidGraham like this.
  17. ToTTenTranz

Doom was in development hell for the better part of its 8-year production time. It launched for OpenGL in May 2016 and got a Vulkan patch in August.

As I stated above, I just find it strange that AMD would chose a game with an old engine and old API to show off their new card.
    But if Vega actually performs well on older engines and APIs then all the better, actually.

18. DavidGraham

Veteran

I guess if the game was using the OpenGL path on PCs, then the Vulkan conversion will be much easier. Just like Doom. But Prey is DX11 only.
    Quake Champions is using DX11 as well in it's current state, though Bethesda is promising to add a OpenGL path, as well as a Vulkan one.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/232086/...ns-with-vulkan-support-and-ryzen-optimization

Some Quake Champions DX11 beta benchmarks:
    http://gamegpu.com/mmorpg-/-онлайн-игры/quake-champions-beta-test-gpu
    http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Quake...ls/Beta-Benchmark-Test-Review-Engine-1226705/

19. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

That's why I think it's purely a marketing agreement. The release is was coinciding and part of the contract between them was promotion of the game+vega. I doubt it's anything more than that.

Yep that's a big hope as well and even with some minor driver optimizations, Prey is DX11 so if it performs well it will be a decent indicator.

A Quake game using DirectX? :shock: I assume it would have been Vulkan from the outset.

AMD really failed to get the right alignment on this.

ImSpartacus likes this.
  20. Anarchist4000

Veteran Regular

If they just focus on FP16 they should manage that. AMD demoed it with hair, but it likely applies to HDR and particle effects as well.

I wouldn't be so sure. Fallout 4 VR might make sense with a Vulkan rework. Even if just a test bed for future titles.