AMD FSR antialiasing discussion

• Thread starter Deleted member 90741
  • Start date
I didn't realize fsr was out and tested yet.
Miracles and magic are real!
This just demonstrates the uphill battle any feature from AMD has to cross before its even tested
Of course.
Too bad the piggies will go squeeeeeeeeeeeee next year either way.
Hold on, why are we all of a sudden suggesting FSR uses ML?
No one even has any real footage of it doing stuff.
This is just special olympics for now.

What's wrong with using the material which was provided by AMD to estimate the tech? There's a better material? Why wasn't it shown?
You don't even need anything from AMD to estimate the upper bound of quality with state of the art offline and hence very sloooooow upscaling.
Simply take a low res screenshot in any game and upscale it via any high quality NN based upscaler, you won't get the same quality as neither native or DLSS. End of story.

This is getting ridiculous. I didn't realize fsr was out and tested yet.

Did I actually see someone here post their own photoshop upsampling and comparing to fsr? and getting approval? And speculative articles based on opinions? as if it proves what fsr is and does?

This just demonstrates the uphill battle any feature from AMD has to cross before its even tested. Common sense is out of the window, and I have never seen such a concentrated effort to kill something that has yet to be reviewed.
Discussion isn't based on year old 4chan leak.
This is their own marketing material with a game releasing with it in the same month I believe.

I'm not saying they should've used bullshots, but no one would expect them to use the worse possible examples either.

So people shouldn't discuss and dissect AMD's own material, isn't that the whole point of marketing material?

What's wrong with using the material which was provided by AMD to estimate the tech? There's a better material? Why wasn't it shown?

For the same reason you never trust the manufacturers own benchmark numbers in their own press conferences. Always wait for third parties. But to you, in here, the youtube feed and press release jpeg material is suddenly OKAY? Common sense is out of the window.

There's a better material? Why wasn't it shown?

The feature has been announced, dated for release, and not yet tested or presented to review in any quality shape or form.

Nothing else needs to be said about what is being witnessed in this forum. Embarrassed and honestly sad.

You don't even need anything from AMD to estimate the upper bound of quality with state of the art offline and hence very sloooooow upscaling.
Simply take a low res screenshot in any game and upscale it via any high quality NN based upscaler, you won't get the same quality as neither native or DLSS. End of story.
Quality sure but it's only one part of the story here. We'll need to look at performance, compatibility, compare to other options, assess the amount of titles which will opt to integrate it - and only then we may arrive to any sort of conclusion.

This though doesn't mean that we can't play with what was given to us to try and guess some of these things beforehand. And I find really weird the notion that this is somehow AMD specific or that we shouldn't do this. Every new feature or tech from anyone goes through this process.

For the same reason you never trust the manufacturers own benchmark numbers in their own press conferences. Always wait for third parties. But to you, in here, the youtube feed and press release jpeg material is suddenly OKAY? Common sense is out of the window.
See above.
I'm not the one claiming that "DLSS is dead" in videos and on twitter right now so if you're looking for those who are "OKAY" then you're in a wrong spot.

I cannot believe that I am having this discussion. I am baffled.
Could that be because everyone else excepts the provisions you highlighted by default during the discussions?

This place has never been about only talking about released, third party verified technology. (otherwise should shutdown RDNA3 discussions etc also)

It's excepted that the more we know then gets fed into the discussion, views will evolve and change based on more details.

I cannot believe that I am having this discussion. I am baffled.

You know you can choose to not have the discussion :) People are discussing the material that AMD released which is presumably what AMD intended by releasing it. Nobody knows what FSR actually does yet or how it will be integrated into games. I agree with you that we have very little to go on but that hasn't stopped the deluge of press articles announcing FSR's arrival (and some even proclaiming the impending doom of DLSS). Surely that is equally upsetting to you.

You won't be able to use both simultaneously in one title (assuming there will be titles which will integrate both) so they do kinda compete between themselves if only on RTX cards where DLSS can be used.
You are also assuming Nvidia gives FSR a green light and assists developers with required work/optimizations, otherwise back to square one with each IHV only supporting their own upscaling process.

You are also assuming Nvidia gives FSR a green light and assists developers with required work/optimizations, otherwise back to square one with each IHV only supporting their own upscaling process.
I don't see why or how would they block it. It'll be open source and they do allow the usage of FFX things in "their" games - CP2077 have CAS for example.

I don't see why or how would they block it. It'll be open source and they do allow the usage of FFX things in "their" games - CP2077 have CAS for example.
Based on what we know developers would not be able to optimize FSR on a game by game basis without Nvidia input, unlike CAS which seems to be a more flexible open source product not requiring direct IHV involvement.

The ship has sailed and there’s probably no going back. I would prefer native 4K with perfect TAA on everything but even developers are starting to acknowledge that it’s a massive waste of GPU resources. Also TAA in its current form is in some ways inferior to DL reconstruction approaches.

Unreal Engine 5 is coming with temporal upscaling out of the box so in 4-5 years it will probably be a widespread option on PC. It makes no sense whining about the good old days of just throwing hardware at the problem. Those days are long gone too.

Sony PS4 pro was designed with checkerboard in mind, back in 2016. Its a hardware upscaling feature set developed in 2016.
Checkerboarding was developed on PC by Ubisoft and Sony just used the idea for Pro as it was impossible to hit the resolution target on it otherwise.
It's also not really a "hardware upscaling solution" since its usage is mostly down to s/w - which is why CBR implementations are so different between different titles/engines.

Were you implying that the flock is following Nvidia on the upscale novelty? pure lie.
Well they certainly don't follow Sony since nobody is implementing any sort of CBR.

The "format" war has not even begun. We are years from having an definite standard. And there are precedents on Nvidia having to support standards created by others. No one thought G-sync would lose the battle to freesync, yet it did.

Companies try to steer the market and audience in their direction, but when the audience starts voting with their money, companies have to follow suit.

Checkerboarding was developed on PC by Ubisoft and Sony just used the idea for Pro as it was impossible to hit the resolution target on it otherwise.
It's also not really a "hardware upscaling solution" since its usage is mostly down to s/w - which is why CBR implementations are so different between different titles/engines.

Well they certainly don't follow Sony since nobody is implementing any sort of CBR.

Id buffers. And you are responding outside of the scope of the post you quoted.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...tation-4-pro-how-sony-made-a-4k-games-machine

Back